Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Migraines common with hypothyroid??/hashimotos??

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have suffered from migraines for years and have been diagnosed with Hashimotos three years ago.  I have since had my thyroid removed but I was wondering if migraines are a common symptom of hypothyroid disease, and if so does anyone have any good remedies.  I have tried, Imitrex, and a couple other meds, Vicadin used to work but I have a tolerance to it now.  Thanks for any input:)
Hi Joedysgirl,
There is a Dr. John Claude Krusz, who is an expert in the field of headache and migraines. I found an article by him some time ago on the Mary Shomon website. Here is a quote from that article; "Thyroid disease is strongly associated with headaches."  He also talks about "Suppressive Headache Therapy" but I haven't studied enough to know what that is.
You might try a search using his name and one using the name of that therapy. I know he also helped form the "National Migraines Association" (www.migraines.org). You might go to that site for info. and probably articles by him.
Wow, I was just about to post the very same question.  I started having migraines at age 6, diagnosed Graves at age 13, diagnosed Hashi's a few years ago (age 32).  I noticed a significant increase in my migraines (both in intensity and frequency) before I was diagnosed Graves (bad enough to go on a ************** for it) and again in the YEARS it took to get diagnosed with Hashimoto's.  Migraines run in my family (both sides) so I don't know if it's that or the thyroid.  I'm still stuggling with frequent migraines but have found some things that work for me.  I take Tylenol PM if I'm where I can nap a bit, that seems to help sometimes and it isn't chemically addictive.  Massage seems to help some but it can be expensive, see if you can get a Dr. to prescribe PT for it (I have a bad shoulder and TMJD so it's usually easy to get some PT).