Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Nodule Removal - After concerns

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Nodule Removal - After concerns

Had a thyroid nodule for 5 years now.  Over the last few years it has grown 1 cm annually.  Up to about 3cm or so now.  It has been biopsied twice and both negative.  However, because it is growing and it sits on my trachea I am starting to feel sore and full in the neck area.  Feels almost like arthritis of the neck.  That just started within the year.

Now my doc says it is time to take it out. My mom had thyroid cancer and paratyroid disease with large tumors when they went in (same doc treated her).  I know he is being precautionary, but this is my gland and I am afraid to gain weight or have other issues afterward (everything else is normal).  Here are the few questions I have:

1- Can a thyroid nodule half liquid/solid become cancerous if I leave it alone for a few years and watch?
2-Do they ever fissure off and stop growing?
3- I hear many bad things about removal and regulation of hormones afer.  I have no problems with my bloodwork, all is normal. Does anyone get relief from removal?  

It would be nice to hear some more positive things going in to take out my gland.

It is not likely to regress on its own, but may stop growing -- however the growth rate is concerning as is the family history (despite the 2 negative biopsies).  

If you are having pressure symptoms from it, then removing it is often the best option.  Most people do fine with thyroid hormone replacement as long as the levels are maintained in the ideal range.
If nodule is HOT [has increased uptake of RAI] the RAI ablation can be used
not sure what RAI is and how it can be used and what for?  Please educate me.  

I am scheduling my surgery this week.  I am sure it will all work out.

thanks for your answers and to the doc. I will report back soon.
I also had a growing nodule in my thyroid that began to press against my trachea.

I had the right lobe of my thyroid removed about 5 weeks ago and my thryroid levels are now just where they need to be.

Surgery was not a problem for me (male, mid 40's), although I did have to remain in the hospital overnight since a drain tube was inserted.  My doctor indicated that this is typical when the lump is large -- mine was described as "kiwi-sized".

I've heard others describe pain from the breathing tube and general neck pain.  I had none.  After I left the hospital, I did not require any pain medication.

I thought the post-surgery experience was going to be much worse than it really was.  It was really a breeze.

I hope you have a similar experience
can I ask if you had any pain associated with your nodule pressing against your trachea?  If so, did you get any relief from the surgery?

Thanks for sharing your experience, this website can be so helpful.

I'm a 32 year old woman and had a biopsy about 9 years ago on the nodules on my goiter while I was pregnant with my son. My Thyroid levels where normal then and are now.  But it seems to have grown and my iron levels were very low and my blood pressure was very high. I'm on medications for the both of them.  My question is they said the nodule grew to become 3 1/2cm and the found 3 more. One on the right which is too small to do a biopsy on and then the other 3. It is starting to cause problems with me swallowing when I eat and breathing problems especially when I get a cold.  I want it removed and spoke to the Endo specialist and she said there are many risk having this surgery, due to it being on or so close to my vocal cords and blood vessels and so fourth.  Is it true that you really gain weight after having this surgery done and one will have to take hormone pills for the rest of their life?  Please let me know....
only out of surgery a few days now and I felt a huge relief of pressure on the side that my nodule was next to trachea.  Probably not the best location for a nodule when thinking of surgery (lower left pole next to vocal cords and only 2.9 cm), but with these types of surgery it is always risky and getting a surgeon who is confident and experienced is very important. (I think my doc did over four of these in the same day I was in the hospital)

My surgeon did fine and my voice is fine actually.  My mom had more extensive surgery (TT and paras) and is jealous about how my voice sounds compared to hers as she has not gotton it back 100 percent since about 8 months ago.  But she had a good surgeon.

Hers caused breathing problems and she felt great removing it.  But finding the right doctor will ease your concerns.  You can always get different opinions and go with what you feel suits you best.  

I know many complain about weight gain, but I haven't experienced it.  I am a bit lighter now, almost 3 years after my surgery.  I exercise regularly and am 44 years old.