Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Nodule right lobe of thyroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Nodule right lobe of thyroid
i have a following report that i need more explanation: please help me:

CLINICAL HISTORY: Right Thyroid nodule on previous scans.

US-THYROID/NEEDLE BIOPSY (exam date 06/07/11)

Ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration: Consent was obtained from patient.  The patient was placed supine on the ultrasound table.  As seen on previous ultrasound there is a 1.9 x 1 x 2 cm hypoechoic nodule in the right lobe of thyroid. This is associated with increased vascularity. As a requested fine needle aspiration cytology is performed using the capillary method. the paitent tolerated the procedure and there were no immediate complications.

Interpretation: Uneventful ultrasound guided aspiration cytology of right thyroid nodule.

NON GYNECOLOGIC CYTOLOGY REPORT completed 06/07/14

Appearance : clear colourless 50% ethyl alcohol

non diagnostic.  Scant blood, lymphocytes, follicular cells and colloid.
This is misleading -- It likely means there were not enough cells to make a definite diagnosis and that repeat FNA is indicated.  "non-diagnostic" in some reports means "indeterminate" (a better description) and that surgery may be the only way to make a diagnosis.  But most likely it means not enough cells were present to make a diagnosis.

The hypoechoic comment and increased vascularity are features of suspicion on ultrasound -- please follow-up with a thyroid specialist to make sure you get the right diagnosis and plan.
I might be wrong, but I think that all in all, it is not a good collection of cells and can't really tell if it is suspicious for cancer or not...might have to do another FNA - I am not a doctor - just thought I'd throw that out there.  Good Luck!
Error to the sign of caution and get another biopsy or second opinion.