Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Normal TSH, High Free T4

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Normal TSH, High Free T4

The last 3 months I have been having symptoms rumbling stomach, nausea, trouble with my eyes, headache, sore joints, back pain, lost 8 pounds, and  for the last 7-8 months anxiety, trembling and muscle twitches. The only blood test that came back positive for being out of range was my T4 which was 1.53 (0.78-1.5) with a tsh of 1.92 (0.4-5.5). My only sister has hashimotos / thyroid cancer and my nice also has hashimotos. My Dad is hypothyroid.

My doctor doesn't seem to think the high T4 would cause this and has me on anti-depressants, I am not sure where to go from here am I on the wrong trail?
Would repeat the labs to be sure and include a T3 but with the data you present it seems unlikely to be a thyroid problem at this point -- with the family history a complete eval would also include thyroid antibodies and an ultrasound.
One additional piece of information I had a scan of my thyroid and it did not appear enlarged.
I keep finding messages like yours I have something in common with, while checking in to see if i have answers to my follow up questions.
I went hyperthyroid for a period of time and the symptoms were exactly like yours listed. My T-4 was slightly high at that time. My endo Dr. said anytime the T-4 is too high it usually means the T-3 is also high because the T-4 builds up not needing to convert into T-3 but he also said this was not always true and depends on each individual.
In your case a second opinion from another Dr. might be helpful and help you know if it is thyroid caused or if antidepressant was a good idea.
Did you have your thyroid antibodies tested? Because some of your symtoms (symptoms) sure look like the swing between hypo and hyper caused by the autoimmune attack on your thyroid.

A related discussion, Normal TSH/High Free T4 was started.
A related discussion, what test results man was started.