Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Recovery Time for Thyroidectomy

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Recovery Time for Thyroidectomy

Just wondering how long to expect to be out of work after the thyroidectomy?
I have my second appointment tomorrow with the surgeon for my large multinodular goiter (R) side and will probably find out then exactly the date for my surgery. Not sure whether it will be a total thyroidectomy or a partial - will find out that tomorrow too. The surgeon mentioned about a week to be off from work but I told him that I didn't feel that will be long enough since I have a stressful job and am on the computer almost constantly. He mentioned that he will work with me regarding how long to be off from work.
I would appreciate hearing from all who have undergone the surgery how long they needed to be off from work.
Thanks.

Carole
Your surgeon is right about the average being one week -- of course that varies from 3 days to 14+ days as I am sure you will see in the comments from others -- as long as the surgeon will work with you it should be ok.
I had a partial thyroidectomy in July and was off for 2 full weeks and then worked half-days for a week when I went back (to my office job).  My surgeon and especially the nurse-practitioner in his office warned against doing too much too soon. Apparently post-op swelling can be a problem if you don't take it easy. They were willing to justify my sick leave for as long as I thought necessary.
Even though surgery went well, I was surprised at how weak I felt for a few weeks afterward.  And you can definitely feel those thyroid hormones recalibrating: hot flashes, palpitations, etc.  I was glad I could take the time to completely recover - I hope you can do the same.  Good luck!
its been 10 days for me since surgery , i dont have an office job as i clean houses, a company i own . so , i am haveing my mother clean them for at least 2 weeks. feel good today , caught stomach virus couple days ago and set me back . i am 32 and recovery has taken longer then i think it should have so far , because when i left the hospital last sat ., i felt wonderful other then pain and i only took tylenol for that . it was the dehydrating that got me being sick after wards , i drove my self to walmart the first time today , yeppy
Thanks for the replies. My doctor agreed that I could be off 2 wks from work so that should be fine.

Carole
it has been 4 days since i had a total thyroidectomy. i get tired quickly and i still get dizzy. i am wondering how long recovery will be for me. i work in a hospital in sterile proccessing and it make me nervous if that is the right place for me to go back to especially with the chemicals that i deal with. i also may need to go for iodone treatments and wonder if i should wait until then to go back.
i had a total thyroidctomy for thyroid cancer on 7/17and i haven't been back to work yet. i take care of animals in an animal shelter which has over 100 cats and only a handful of employees and volunteers (my hands are constantly exposed to bleach). I am hoping to go back after my RAI treatment. i felt good the first 2 days that i was home (vacuumed and washed the floors) but since then i am constantly weak, tired, muscle tremors and sometimes dizzy. i only drive short distances on off traffic hours if necessary. i have no trouble turning my head, i just don't feel like i have a good reaction time. i felt normal for the first time 3 days ago (did a thorough house cleaning) but then the next day i felt listless. i think each person is different and depending on the physical extent of your job that is what will decide when you can go back to work. i also have been having a terrible time with my memory. as far as the RAI treatment i don't think i can be near the cats for at least a week or 2. i would be in constatnt contact with them at work and would not want to jeopardize them in any way. i am looking for info on RAI treatment and pets since i have pets at home too and can not be near them when i am sent home.
thank you for your input.i have been doing some house work such as laundry and some dishes and i still need to cook. i feel ok until i start to wear myself out. i know that i will be weak until i start medication, but that would not be until after treatments, and i wouldnt be doing that for at least another 2 weeks. i would like to wait until after all that is taken care of before i go back to work. like i say i work in the hospital, i work with some chemicals stronger than bleach, and its pretty fast pace. i just feel that i wouldnt be able to give it my all until i feel "great". i too have cats at home and also 2 daughters, which i understand that i will not be able to come into close contact with when treatment is done.driving? havent done that yet. i will though at my next dr's appt. the dizziness is subsiding thankfully.
am i correct in understanding that they didn't start you on any meds when you left the hospital  or are you referring to the meds after RAI treatment. they gave me 2 prescriptions when i left one was for a calcium supplement twice a day and the other was for cytomel half a tablet 3xs a day. they checked my calcium levels a few days later and cut me back to 1 calcium per day. it is right after i take the calcium pill that i feel very weak and shakey (shaky).i still don't have my voice back (3 weeks) its very weak and breathy. its a little louder than a whisper. i have trouble swallowing i think i have scar tissue built up where the drain was. i have keloids on my incison area and it is hard to the touch in the middle (where the drain was). did your doctors recommend anything for keliods? i have been using cocoa butter but not much success. i am massaging it several times a day. please let me know if they gave you any advice for that.
A related discussion, Recently diagnosed was started.
A related discussion, Partial Thyroidectomy was started.
A related discussion, throid replacement drugs was started.