Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Should I be worried?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Should I be worried?

I just had a thyroid ultrasound today with results that worry me. The results read:

Right lobe of the thyroid has 2 hypoechoic nodules each measuring up to 1 cm in size. One is in the upper pole, the sac was in lower pole. There is also a 9-10 mm hypoechoic nodule in the isthmus of the thyroid. Right lobe measures
4.6 x 1.8 x 1.7 cm in size. Left lobe measures 4.1 x 1.4 x 1.6 cm in size. 2 hypoechoic nodules are seen in the left lobe, largest is in the upper pole measuring 1.2 cm in size. Findings probably represent multinodular goiter. However, the 1.2 cm hypeechoic nodular pole of the left lobe should be biopsied.

I'm a little disturbed by this news, should I just wait for my doctor to call me with the results before I panic? Am I over-reacting?

Thank you for any helpful advise you may give,

Shurri S.
Biopsy is probably indicated.
About 10% of nodules are cancer - so most are benign.
Hi Shurri, I'm not the dr, but I can explain some of what this means. Hypoechoic just means there is a dark spot. Meaning it could be a cold spot or a cyst that's not reflecting any waves. Once they do a biopsy they hopefully can tell you more about if it's truly a cold spot or just fluid filled sacs. From what I have read, that multinodular goiters are less likely to be cancer.

You should read some posts that are similar to yours.  You have come to a very knowledgeable place where members just like you and I have been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  

You aren't over-reacting. It's your body and you can be as pro-active as you want with it.  I'm currently waiting on a referral to an endo from my dr.