Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Switching from Cytomel to Armour because of Chest Discomfort

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Recently I began have shortness of breath, pressure and palps about 2 hrs after taking cytomel.  I am 60 yrs old and on 88 mcg Unithroid and 5 mcg cytomel plus 1/4 tab once a day.  To try and alleviate the problem I cut the 5 mcg in 2, 1/2 in am 1/2 in pm and left of the 1/4.  I visited with a new doctor since I just moved to the area and explained the symptoms and asked about switching to Armour.  He agreed and after blood was taken he did call in armour 60 mg to take with the 88 mcg Unithroid.  I am feeling worse now than I have in awhile, but after talking with the pharmacist, I am cautious to begin the armour.  He said it was increasing T3 to 9 mcg (almost double my cytomel dose) and also increased the T4.  

With chest pressure, shortness of breath etc. should I be increasing the t3 almost double and increasing the t4?

I want to begin the Armour but am considering cutting it in 1/2.  I'm afraid my symptoms will get worse if I increase t3.  You may ask why don't I just call the doctor back.  Well I only get to talk with the nurse, and they seem to be unwilling or want to argue over my questions.  I don't get the impression that they are well informed about thyroid at all.  

My bloodwork came back with only the TSH and t4 checked, I didn't understand why they did not check t3, because of the problems I am having.  My former doctor always checked the t3 and t4 as well as TSH because I am on the cytomel.  TSH was 0.545 (lowest it has ever been) and t4 was 8.83.  Thanks for any help you can give me.
the 88 unithroid plus 60mg armour is more than you were taking previously.  I doubt your will be able to take T3 if 2.5mcg of cytomel caused symptoms -- in other words, no Armour in most cases.  Would use Unithroid alone -- 100 or 112 mcg per day.
I have been on 7.5 mcg of cytomel previously, but with the chest problems I have cut that to 5 mcg a day cut into 2 doses: 1/2 tab in the am and 1/2 tab in the pm.  The shortness of breath and pressure are gone.  The palps remain but I do not worry about that.  I would like to however, try to switch to Armour.  Anyone here that has switched to the Armour from Cytomel that's over 55?  I am thinking I could take 1/2 of a 60 mg tab of Armour and that would give me a little less t3 perhaps, about 4 mcg, and a little more t4.  Does anyone know how much t4 is in the 60 mg Armour?  When only on t4 I do not function very well and feel horrible.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FDN/is_2_9/ai_n6112780/pg_2

http://www.altsupportthyroid.org/treatment/hypomedcomp.php

Related:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/topsupplements.htm