Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TSH and Hair

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

TSH and Hair
Hi Dr. Lupo, I lost 50% of my hair about 6 months ago from too much thyroid medication (Levothyroxine).  My TSH stabilized about 2 months ago (TSH 2.5).  I am not seeing any hair regrowth yet.  How long does it take for hair to regrow- and is the time frame from the when the hair fell out (6 mths ago), or from when the TSH is stabilized (2 mths ago)?   Thank you.
It may take 4-6 months to see re-growth after normalizing TSH (assuming it was indeed due to thyroid imbalance)