Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
TSH levels high- How long to normal after meds start?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

(Sorry I had this on a thread on another post but noticed that thes questions opened again)-

I had my thyroid removed on July 31 and I had RAI on Oct 1.  My TSH level was at 44.6 on Sept 4th and never tested again.  I started taking 125 mcg of levothyroxine on Oct 4th (I went with no meds for 2 months).I have also gained 15 lbs in the last 6 weeks.  In the last couple days I am having bouts of naseousness and major irritability.  Is it caused by the medication or is it just a side effect of the raised TSH level?  I handled the RAI with no issues.  How long before the TSH level will start dropping and I start to feel better cos I feel lousey!!!  I just read on another website that it may be months before the synthroid starts to work!  I work out most days (I alternate between weight training on the Bowflex and 20-30 minutes on the elliptical machine).  I try to stay on a high protein low carb diet with alot of fruits and vegetables.  I am thinking of going back to Weight Watchers but right now it seems useless to pay too close of attentionas all I do is get frustrated.  How long does it usually take to get your TSH levels back in a normal range after they are this far out of whack and will my weight start to get back to normal??
If the TSH was 44.6   5 weeks ago and you started levo only one week ago -- you have about 4-6 weeks before things start feeling more normal and for the TSH to come down.  Hang in there -- it may take 2-3 months for the dust to settle.