Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid and Gout

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid and Gout

Since total thyroidectomy in January 2006 after follicular carcinoma, my dosage of medication has now been changed to 150mcg of Levothyroxine per day.  Since taking this I have just been to the doctors with a really painfull foot just under my big toe.  She has sent me for a blood test as she thinks this could be gout.  I have been looking into gout on the internet and it says that thyroid disorders can be relevant.  Is this true?
only if there is untreated hypothyroidism.
Hypothyroidism and gout often coexist and may have biologic mechanisms in common.Some studies have reported a higher prevalence of gout in people with hypothyroidism (low levels of thyroid hormone). Hypothyroidism may even trigger gout. There is also some evidence to suggest that hyperthyroidism (high levels of thyroid hormone) can increase uric acid levels, although not to the degree that low thyroid hormones levels do.

Other causes Alcohol Use, Consumption of purine-rich foods, Hypertension and Diuretics, Obesity, Family  History, Gender and age.

GL
Please don't shoot the messenger!
Keep in mind that gout and uric acid go hand in hand ... in other words be aware of possiblity of uric acid kidney stone formation ... those are the only type of stones that can be treated with meds (I believe same med for gout helps to stop formation of stones .. Alpurinol I think is the name of the med?) .. mine are calicum oxalate stones; I just found out as I passed one 12 days post op thyroid surgery!!!  It was 4mm (the largest of my stones and still very happy about it!!!).

Cheryl

Cheryl