Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Thyroid/anemia issues

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Thyroid/anemia issues

I am also having issues with my thyroid. I had swollen glands for about 3 weeks an come week 4 extreme fatigue. Saw a doctor, went for blood tests and an ultrasound. Blood tests came back showing a 33ug/L so I started iron supplements. I'm in my third week of iron and no improvements. My u/s came back with this info : both loves and isthmus are slightly large. R/lobe 5.5x1.9x1.9cm and L/lobe 5.3x1.7x1.6cm and the isthmus @5mm in thickness. Diffusely the thyroid is heterogenous in echo texture but no focal nodule present. Scattered lymph nodes on both sides of neck, in the submandibular areas ranging in size between 3mm and 3cm. A left supraclavicular lymph node identified measuring 1.6x0.5cm. Parotid and submandibular glands appear unremarkable, except for 3 tiny lymph nodes withing the right parotid, largest 8mm.

I'm not sure what any of this really means. And searching the Internet is only causing anxiety. I'm in pain all day except when I am asleep. But because of the discomfort on my right side only it takes about 2-3 hours to get comfortable enough to fall asleep. It feels like there is a string that pulls from my lower neck/shoulder muscle, to my right gland, to my right ear to my right eye. I'm in constant discomfort and my extremely low energy makes it almost impossible to get through a 4 hour work shift. When I swallow it feels like there's something constantly in my throat. No coughing, or fever or chills. But when I get cold my hands feel like they're freezing and my toes tingle an feel numb. My elbows have also been hurting so much!! And my hands feel like they constantly need to be stretched!! I'm experiencing terribly bad dandruff and dry hair! And my blood tests for TSH is 1.97. I understand that my doctor is saying that these are all normal but I'm in constant pain and discomfort and I'm looking for any suggestions to help.
The thyroid part of the ultrasound is most consistent with thyroiditis (usually hashimoto's) - the TSH of 1.97 means thyroid hormone production is normal.  The other findings are consistent with small lymph nodes (common in neck) but with the neck pain, this may need further evaluation.  Also ask your doctor why you are iron deficiency (commonly this is menstruation) and remember it will take 2-3 months of iron pills to start correcting iron deficient anemia.
Thanks!! I took it upon myself to see my doctor again to get him to look further because as of now I've been sick for over 9 weeks. My mom has 3 autoimmune diseases so I'm being checked for a few and for Celiac's disease. Thanks for your help!