Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Weight gain with carbimozole

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Weight gain with carbimozole

I was diagnosed with graves diease 4 days ago and my doctor prescribed me with 30mg a day of carbimozole, I've been reading up on it and almost every person I've read about starting it has gained weight alot of weight.

I was over weight two years ago and I began to go the gym 5 times a week, and completely changed my diet, in order to lose the weight. I vowed I would never put it back on.

In the next month I am due to start testosterone as I'm female to male, I can finally have a normal life.... Well that's what I thought until I got put on carbimazole, so I now now I'm about to put on alot of weight at what's meant to be the start of a new happy me.

My questions are.... is there a way I can take carbimazole and not gain weight? Either by exercising or eating different? And also is there a different medication for graves disease that doesnt make you gain weight?

This is really getting me down any info would be great thanks.
Any treatment of hyperthyroid can cause weight gain b/c the over-active metabolism is being returned to normal -- the key is to avoid over-treatment which results in accidental excess hypothyroidism.