Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
Weight gain with carbimozole
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Weight gain with carbimozole

I was diagnosed with graves diease 4 days ago and my doctor prescribed me with 30mg a day of carbimozole, I've been reading up on it and almost every person I've read about starting it has gained weight alot of weight.

I was over weight two years ago and I began to go the gym 5 times a week, and completely changed my diet, in order to lose the weight. I vowed I would never put it back on.

In the next month I am due to start testosterone as I'm female to male, I can finally have a normal life.... Well that's what I thought until I got put on carbimazole, so I now now I'm about to put on alot of weight at what's meant to be the start of a new happy me.

My questions are.... is there a way I can take carbimazole and not gain weight? Either by exercising or eating different? And also is there a different medication for graves disease that doesnt make you gain weight?

This is really getting me down any info would be great thanks.
97953_tn?1193367871
Any treatment of hyperthyroid can cause weight gain b/c the over-active metabolism is being returned to normal -- the key is to avoid over-treatment which results in accidental excess hypothyroidism.
2 Comments
Blank
Thanks
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
97953_tn?1193367871
Mark Lupo, M.D.Blank
Thyroid & Endocrine Center of Florida
Sarasota, FL
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank