Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
confused about blood test results

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

confused about blood test results

suffer from insomnia feeling gittery inside and sometimes very tired have gained wait and cant seem to get rid of it. my thyroid results are as follow:
TSH 0.05 - T3 uptake 23 - T4 9.7 - free T4 2.2 - Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies <10 what do these mean??
Post Ranges for your labs.
TSH - result 0.05 range - 0.40 - 4.50 mIU/L
T3 UPTAKE - result  23 -  range 22-35%
T4 (THYROXINE) , Total -result  9.7 range - 4.5-12.0 mcg/dl
Free T4 index (t7) -result  2.2 - range 1.4 - 3.8
Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies result <10 range <35 IU/mL
For this test actual thyroid hormones

T4 levels are in range,
T3 is 'low'
TSH is very low.

TSH is the hormone your pituitary gland produces to tell your thyroid how much hormone to make.  It seems like your pituitary thinks your T4 is too high, but your T3 (which is the active hormone) is low and maybe why you feel bad.

Your antibodies are normal, tends to say your immune system isn't attacking your thyroid.

What does your doctor says about that?  Do you have a referral to an endocrinologist?
he just referred me I am goin to endo this coming Tuesday I wanted to be more knowledable about what questions I should ask. What does it mean if anything that my TSH is so low? Thanks for reponses  
You pituitary gland is kind of like a symphony conductor, it sends signals to the other endocrine glands in your body, thyroid, ovaries, etc telling them how much hormones to produce. TSH is the signal the the pituitary uses to tell the thyroid gland how much T4 and T3 to produce.  

From what I've read, somethings goofy with your thyroid (or maybe something else).  Usually you only see low TSH levels like yours in people that are taking thyroid replacement meds, usually a bit too much.

In your case T4 is normal, though T3 is almost low.  That's odd considering, if your thyroid were acting normally, if TSH were low, T4 and T3 would be both low.

I have no real idea what your endocrinologist will do.  Exactly or what to ask him. The real question is why is your TSH so low and T4 normal.  Since low TSH should tell the thyroid not to make anymore T4.

I suspect he's going to order more thyroid tests and go from there.  It's possible that the lab messed up your blood work. Maybe your TSH isn't low, or maybe your T4 is low.  Doing more tests makes sense.  He may also do or order an ultra sound of your thyroid to see what it looks like.

What you want is a endocrinologist that is engaged, methodical, and open minded.  he should be willing to at least briefly explain why he's doing something.

the only reading out of whack is the tsh.  it's low, which means subclinical hyperthyroidism.  your brain is telling your thyroid to slow down...

i think t3 uptake test is different than free T3 test.  if your Free T3 is high, that could explain the low tsh, but you didn't have that test done.  i'm sure your endocrinologist will get it figured out.

good luck.