Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
depression, chronic anxiety and Hashimoto's

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

I have depression and acute anxiety for 15 years. Aslo, experiencing memory lapses and lack of concentration. Have been treated many times for depression and anxiety. Had many blood tests durign this time but, doctors said nothign is wrong..

Two months ago they did following tests:

TSH                    0.043  range 0.3-3.0
T4 free                1.84   range 0.6-1.75
Anti-thyroid antibodies 192    range 0-34
Thyroid scan showed that thyroid is not working at all.

Last weeks results

TSH      2.7
T4 free  1.08

Questions:

If my thyroid is not working, why T4 was high in first set of tests?

How long it takes antibodies to distroy the thyroid glands completely?

Is my depression and anxiety (for last 15 yrs) due to Hashimopto's?
HI ARE YOU CURRENTLY BEING TREATED FOR YOUR THYROID DISORDER?AND IF SO WHAT TYPE OF MEDICINE?AS TO YOUR QUESTION CAN HYPOTHYROIDISM CAUSE DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY:THE ANSWER IS "YES."ALL A LONG WITH NOT CONCENTRATING WELL,AND HAVING MEMORY LAPSES.I'M SORRY I CAN'T HELP YOU WITH YOUR BLOOD RESULTS,I AM NOT GOOD AT THOSE.THERE IS A GENTLEMAN ON HERE WHO KNOWS EVERY THING ABOUT THEM.HE HAS TAKEN A VACATION FOR THIS WEEK.HIS NAME IS JIMLOW.YOU CAN TRY POSTING TO HIM ON SUNDAY THE 14 DON'T FOR GET WRITE IT DOWN.HE CAN HELP YOU MORE.HE IS A REAL WIZ AT THOSE.UNTIL THEN TAKE CARE OF YOUR SELF TNT406.
Yes, according to my endo there's a correlation between Thyroid disiease and depression. Good luck and hope you start to feel better soon!
diehard, if you get a chance, read my reply to TNT on the questions page, located above your post. I put "to: TNT-and-everyone (important references)".
That reply might have helpful info in it for you.