Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
hyper thyroid

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

hyper thyroid
I am 45 years old. Diabetic. Have a large cold thyroid nodule.
Lately my heart is racing and I am having anxiety attacks. The endo has checked my thyroid and T3 and T4 are int he normal range but TSH is low. She has put my on metaprolol for the heart tachycardia she called it, it had reached 103 beats per minute. This working well but has dropped blood pressure to 107/67 and I have very cold hands and feet.
I will have a test done Monday where I take a radioactive iodine pill and go back the next day to have a thyroid scan.

I am wanting to know if anxiety attacks are normal for hyperactive thyroid, should I be thinking that they are linked or should I be seeking treatment for anxiety?My endo says no connection and just live with the symptoms it's all in my mind. I
In the meantime, I am getting very easily scared by cold hands and feet after starting the metaprolo. Constant state of fear.

Is any of this part of the symptoms with the yper thyroid?
Thank you
Hyperthyroidism can cause tachycardia AND anxiety -- so yes, there is a connection.

By the way, how do you know it's a cold nodule if you have not yet had the uptake/scan?

Cold hands/feet may be the metoprolol or the hyperthyroidism.
I had the thyroid scan about 8 years ago and it was cold. The nodule was found about that time.