Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
hyperthyroidism, normal antibodies?

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

hyperthyroidism, normal antibodies?

I am a 31 yr old female, not taking any birth control. My tests indicate hyperthyroidism:

TSH <0.02     NORM (0.35-5.50)
T4 16.1       NORM (4.5-10.9)
T4 FREE 4.6   NORM (0.9-1.8)
T3 TOTAL 531  NORM (60-181)

My antibody test indicates I'm in normal range:

THYROGL AB <20    NORM (0-40)
MICROSOMAL AB 13  NORM (0-34)

Do you have any idea what the underlying cause of the hyperthyroidism might be?
Could be Graves, transient (aka silent or subacute) thyroiditis (esp with the negative TPO/Tg antibodies and the higher t4) or less likely for your age a toxic nodule.

Would do an I-123 uptake/scan and a TSH-Receptor antibody to sort this out.
No one knows what causes hypo or hyperthyroidism.... That is something the researchers yet to discover... Do you have hyper symptoms? Or feeling pretty normal?
I read that hyperthyroidism is mostly caused by graves, thyroiditis, or thyroid cancer. I have lots of symptoms of hyper, and they have put me on a beta blocker, but I don't see an endo until late sept.
Hashimotos is caused by antibodies. But what causes antibodies to develop in the first place? Hyper also has antibodies - what causes those to develop? Graves disease is the name for hyperthyroidism just like Hashimotos is the name for the autoimmune thyroid disease. There are alternative ways of stopping the thyroid to over produce - but conventional medical doctors usually just shut it down with RAI and then you go hypothyroid... there should be better treatment than that... I think since your numbers are ok - ok to see the endo in Sept. Ok to retest too then. Try to research what alternative ways you can put a break on your thyroid.. I think there are ways to do this but probably only a complementary physician do learn these because conventional doctros are not doing it. Also - I suppose the beta blockers are going to slow down the over production too - but I am hypothyroid and not that familiar with hyperthyroidism. I am sorry to hear that you are having hyper symptoms. I am sure they are no fun... Take care.
This poster is obviously very hyperthyoid. Which can be very dangerous if it is not treated correctly. Have you ever heard of a thyroid storm (goggle it)... It is usually deadly!!!!....Please, be careful what advice you are offering. ARE YOU TRYING TO MAKE YOURSELF SOUND LIKE A DOCTOR OR WHAT?

QUOTE:
(There are alternative ways of stopping the thyroid to over produce - but conventional medical doctors usually just shut it down with RAI and then you go hypothyroid... there should be better treatment than that... I think since your numbers are ok - ok to see the endo in Sept. Ok to retest too then. Try to research what alternative ways you can put a break on your thyroid.. I think there are ways to do this but probably only a complementary physician do learn these because conventional doctros are not doing it. Also - I suppose the beta blockers are going to slow down the over production too.)

EX:I think since your numbers are ok (OK??? THEY ARE ALMOST 4 TIMES NORMAL) ok to see the endo in Sept. Ok to retest too then. (WHAT?, WHO ARE YOU TO TELL THEM IT'S OK TO SEE THEIR DOCTOR.)

YOU COULD COST THIS POSTER THEIR LIFE...

Ask A Doctor Thyroid Disorders Forum is for medical advice. The patient to patient forum is completely different.