Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
methimazole 10 mg. for 3 wks. but thyroid levels still high
About This Forum:

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

methimazole 10 mg. for 3 wks. but thyroid levels still high

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease on 4/13/05.  I have been taking propanolol 10 mg. 2x day. and methimazole 5 mg. a day, but have been taking 10 mg. a day.  when first diagnosed, my liver enzymes and white blood cell count was high, so the Dr. started my out with low doses of methimazole.  By AST is normal, my ALT is still high, 71, but initially was 104.0.  My white blood cell count was 3.4/low and now is 3.7, still low.  On 7/12/05, My Endo. tried to raise my methimazole to 10 mg. 2x a day.  I tried that, but just in 3 days of raising the methimazole, i had a stomach ache and loose bowel movements.  I have also starated to get canker sore in my mouth.  My Dr. has recommeded Radioactive Iodine.  I am scared, and I know a friend who had this, and she is still not feeling well 5 yrs. later.  I also have 2 children that I would have a hard time being away from.  Should I give the methimazole more time?  It doesn't seem as though my stomach can take any more than 10 mg. 1 x daily.