Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
thyroid and high blood sugar

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

thyroid and high blood sugar
I am trying to find out if thyroid (oiter) can affect my blood sugar levels.  My number on my thryroid test is 1.2 doctor says that is great but  have discovered I have a goiter and some symptoms of thyroid difficulties (hair thinning lethargy) and have been struggling with high blood sugar   Have lost  about 20 lbs my blood sugar on the whole is between 85 and 110  Now I am wondering fi my thyroid was the foundation of this problem  If I can't stabiize my thyroid how will I ever stabilize the blood sugar  
With normal thyroid function (TSH of 1.2) the thyroid is not likely to influence the blood sugar.  The presence of a goiter alone will not change blood sugar - it's only significant hypo or hyperthyroidism that causes sugar fluctuations.
I was diagnosed with smooth muscle antibody.  What does this mean?  Do I have HepatitiC , although tests came back negative.  My doctor is doing another blood test in February and possibly a biopsy.  It is prudent to wait?  Thank you.