Thyroid Cancer / Nodules & Hyperthyroidism Expert Forum
thyroid nodules and neck pain

Questions in the Thyroid forum are answered by Mark Lupo, MD. Topics covered include Goiter, Graves Disease, Hyperthyroid, Parathyroid/Calcium Problems, Thyroid Cancer, Thyroid Nodules/Cysts, Thyroiditis, Thyroid & Pregnancy, Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), Thyroid Tests, and Thyroid Surgery.

thyroid nodules and neck pain

I had noticed for 2x weeks that my hearing in my right ear would "go out' for a few seconds then return. Shortly after I noticed it was becoming difficult to turn my head to the right, not painful but as if something were stopping me. Several days following I had dull, achy neck pain which gradually increased day by day. After a few days I was unable to turn my head or find a comfortable position due to neck pain (right side only). I was also having sharp shooting pains in the back of my head at the base of my skull. My family dr was out so I went to the ER clnic where labs were drawn and a cat scan of the neck was done. The labs were normal, T4 and TSH were normal, wbc normal. The cat scan showed bilat nodules in the thyroid and to the right side of the thryoid. I was advised to follow up with family dr to get referral to ENT or ENDO specialist and given Darvocet for pain. The next day I was in more pain, with swallowing difficulties and continued hearing loss. Family dr could not get me in till following week, so I returned to the ER clinic where I was instructed the same and given KFlex for possible infection of lymphnodes and Valium as a muscle relaxer. Three days later the neck pain improved, however the pain centered deep in inner ear and directly below ear in jaw line. Headaches continued so I was finally able to see NP with dr's office. She advised no ear infection and gave me a nose spray. She informed me I more than likely had a goiter which was no reason to refer and not to worry about it. Over the weekend, symptoms have not improved and neck pain beginning to return, nausea and a head pressure mainly in right ear. Should I seek another opinion from an ENT or Endo or just let it go?
For a goiter,  recommend seeing a thyroid specialist -- usually an endocrinologists, but in some areas an ENT may be the best bet -- it depends on the individual doctor.  ENT may be the best place to start though as if it is non-thyroid related the whole neck needs to be considered.
I too was diagnosed with a goiter and nodules on right side.  Since this diagnosis I have been experiencing pain in the shoulder that will not go away.  Let me know if you find any answers.