Tourette Syndrome Community
Change and duration of tics--Advice please

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

My 12 year old son has had tics for several years now.  It started when he was about 8 maybe.  First it was the eye blinking.  Not constant, but noticeable.  In the past two years I've noticed much more.  It's driving my husband up the wall and I truly believe it's not my son's fault.  He has been and is still jerking/snapping his head around especially when working/playing on the computer.  He also does this eyebrow movement.  Awhile ago he use to blurt out some odd word, nothing foul, but weird.  I forget what it was, but it was something like piggy?  He use to shake both of his hands ( like a nervouse/excited reaction ).  I thought he was just being silly or was he?  He now shakes his right hand when he's eating dinner or playing baseball or whatever.  He has been doing that alot lately.  My husband coaches him in baseball and came home so pissed off at him the other day because of this hand shaking thing.  I understand that tics must be present for at least a year.  No problem there.  It's just that his tics go through phases.  He's lost some yet gained others.  It's not ALL the time, but enough for my husband and I to argue about it.  I have no intention of putting my son on drugs.  He is an honor roll student, but he does have some issues with focusing  in school and at home.   Is my son just burning a little energy off?  Is he just fidgety?  Any feedback would be appreciated.
My 12 yr. old son has varying tics also and has been having recurring migraines/ ongoing anxiety.  He's very smart as well~no problems at school except for many absences due to the migraines and anxiety.  Just had him tested with Dr. I trust and he has a virus in his cerebral spinal fluid around his midbrain area.  We are treating him with cold laser therapy and Virex from Nutriwest.  If you notice the tics getting worse around times of weather pressure/illness, you may want to look in to this.
Thanks.   He very rarely even gets a headache so I'm not worried about that.  I don't know what to think.   He says he can't help it when he snaps his neck around or shakes his hand.  He has no idea he even makes facial tics.  He is going to Dr. today because he thinks he may have an ear infection.  I will talk to her about it....thx again.
I've been reading about food allergies/intolerence to certain foods causing Tourettes tics...some claim the tics completely stopped after getting off dairy and/or gluten.  Even though they may not show obvious signs to the food, the tics were connected
Gatorade Sets off my tics. and makes me feel kinda out of it some times. but other times it can be really refreshing. it does not matter what flavor of gatorade its gatorade in general. its about a 26% increase in tics when i drink that stuff.
My son drinks that when he plays baseball.  I'm going to see if I see an increase in ticks when he drinks that.  THx
When he was younger, red dye in drinks made him super hyper I remember that.  Other than the Gatorade at baseball, he only drinks 100% juice, milk or water now.  He was off dairy a few years ago, no change...