Tourette Syndrome Community
Does Tourettes Syndrome get worse overtime?

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Hi, i have had Tourettes Syndrome since i was six years old. I haven't really paid much attention too it because it was mild, and it would come and go. I have two half-sisters with TS also. I was just wondering, does TS get worse over time? My tics are pretty much just mild. Ex: soft humming, blinking eyes too much, squeezing muscles in throat (for some reason, things that people cant really notice that much). Can this get worse overtime and turn into screaming, or involve larger muscles of the body?
I have a 29 yr. old son. He was diagnosed as a child with Tourettes Syndrome. I am not certain what range of Tourettes he was in when diagnosed. But in my opinion, it was quite a severe case. He had a number of tics, echoing, bouts of cursing, etc. But, as time went by, he outgrew many of these things. Today he is doing quite well. Every so often, I may notice a slight tic in my son. But, it is always a very minor tic. And now at 29, he is not even on medication for the Tourettes. I might also add that with the Tourettes, he also had ADHD.
Everything I have read about TS indicates that in most cases tourettes will greatly diminish in the early to mid teens.  I'm hoping this will be the case for my daughter who also has mild tourettes.
You posted this a while ago and I'm curious; did you TS go away or lighten up for you?
Hello there,

I had pretty serious tourette's when I was young, but it did subside throughout my later teen years.

However, the worse bout of tourette's I had, which then stuck around, started really in my early 20s.
It was pretty unmanageable to be honest.

So, in my case, I was there, subsided, then came back with a vengeance.

take care
r
when you say late teens, what age? i am 16 and have always had a mild form but this year i feel they are much worse, its at a climax i think, but im believing now its going to just keep getting worse. i honestly gave up hope for myself, no more energy to do research. what do you mean late teens? like around 16? btw few months ill be 17
I also havem mild tourettes.... similar to that in the original post, I find it gets worse when I'm stressed or over tired....  so having insomnia doesn't help.  Sometimes I even get a spread neck because of it......
*sore neck
I was Dx with TS at age 13 am 31 now...TS is a non-progessive syndrome...meaning it gets bad then gets better...the worse time is usually around peburty but after that it tends to get better...by mid 20s-late 30s most cases a TS are greatly diminished but not for everyone but for most...try googling TSA and check out their site...its a GREAT resouce to have...also after u google them give em a call...they r wonderful ppl and super caring too...I have worked closely with them over the yrs...they can mail u all the info u need...best a luck to ya
I'm now 33 I've had TourettesAll of my lifeAnd college courses make it a lot worse also caffeine sugar and alcohol make it worseJogging 4 to 5 times a week also helps It a lot Take sugar and caffeine out of your diet and your tics will improve a lot Daily exercise And we finding ways of relieving stress helps
I don't believe Tourettes Syndrome gets worse over time. Well I'm at least mine has not gotten worse is stays about the same it stays steady throughout Time but it also has triggers is that make it worse in certain times Stress and anxiety Really are the main triggers Physical exercises been my number one relief Along with no caffeine sugarOr alcohol I find if I want have instant tics drink two or three glass of sweet tea it never fails Sweetie have a quick onset and only last about 24 hours For worsening tics Alcohol will make it last up 72 hours. or 3days And has a slower on set but last longer