Tourette Syndrome Community
Does my child have tourettes?

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

Does my child have tourettes?

my daughter is 6 and for over a year now she has had different tics including head shaking, shrugging, grunting sniffing and screaming. We have seen the doctor about it before and he said it was nothing to worry about but she is starting to get upset about the latest tic, which is screaming. So we are goin back to the doctors and i am going to demand a referral. But do these tics sound like tourettes? she has no behaviour problems apart from a mild ocd. We are just desperate for answers and an explanation for my daughter sake.
Tags: tourettes
Was the doctor you were seeing a Neuro. If so get another and ask about epilepsy. It could be tourettes. But you would be surprised. Tell them to do an eeg to see what is going on her brain and maybe you can get some better answers. INSIST on it. There have been many people in my life who have been origianlly diagnosed with tourettes but end up havinf epilepsy. And if she is has epilepsy. Try Keppra first its the safeist.
Keep me updated
thanks for replying. It was just the local G.P who we saw, but we have been back today and he has finally referred us to a pediatrician. We go on the 4th of May. so fingers crossed we will finally get some answers. So the G.P wasnt too pleased with me but i refused to leave his office till i got the referral. He said she's doing it on purpose to get attention but i knw she isnt because i see it every day and i see the tears and the frustration when other kids make fun of her.
Kudos to you on the self control to not punch the man right in his face. I hope you guys get some answers. Keep your head up and good luck. Keep us posted.
Well we have been to see the pediatrician today. She was very understanding but said she thinks its just childhood tics that my daughter will grow out of. She has arranged for some more tests though to be sure and in the meantime i have to keep a diary of the tics. So fingers crossed we are on the way to getting some answers.
Well I am glad to hear that the Doc is doing more tests. If the test results show nothing continue to look. You know your daughter better then any doctor, and that in itself is enough to raise concern with how your daughters behavior changes. Even if it is something she can grow out of it is enough to do tests and see if there is any type of treatment that can help aleveate any pain or embarssament. Ask her maybe about doing an eeg just to make sure there is so abnormal brain activity going on when her tics are going on. The eeg is painless, but kids dont like it cause they have to sit still when the wires are being attached. And if you get the eeg done and the person doing it is causing pain tell them so. It is not supposed to be painful. Also if her scalp starts to turn red or blister say something imediatley. She may be having a bad reaction to the stuff they are putting on her scalp. Anyways good luck and hope to her back from you again.