Tourette Syndrome Community
behavioral issues and tourettes

This is a patient support community for discussion relating to Tourette syndryome.

behavioral issues and tourettes

My daughter is 9 yrs old and was just recently diagnosed with tourettes she has several motor tics,but she has and has I would say just about always had behavioral issues.She never ever thinks she has done anything wrong she can be screaming at us and will swear that she wasnt.She doesnt take responsibility for her actions until after the fact then she will apologize and cry and usually talk about how how bad she is and she wishes she wasnt here and we dont love her , but if you ask her why she got in trouble she cant tell you I dont know if this is part of tourettes or what,but we are getting to our breaking point at not knowing what to do.She will not back down she will confront us like she is bigger than us we always have to just walk away in order for her to stop.If anyone has any help or advice please let me know!!!
Hi. I know often Tourettes exists in people alongside other conditions like OCD, ADHD etc so perhaps your daughter has also got a behavioural condition as well as Tourettes? It's definitely likely unless she is just feeling tense from coping with Tourettes but you said these behaviours were present before the Tourettes appeared. I think it would be a good idea to get this checked as well because if there is a condition there a diagnosis will be the most beneficial thing to help you. Good luck and I really hope everything is OK :)
This is interesting. I have an 8 year old boy with mild Tourette's but the behaviors are there for him too. He is very impulsive and like your daughter doesn't recall why he has been in trouble throughout the day. I am curious to know what you find out as well.