Travel Medicine / Vaccination / Immunization Expert Forum
Hep A Vaccine - travel to Jamaica / Caymen Islands ?

Questions in the Travel Medicine forum are answered by Dr. Philip D Parks, affiliated with Harvard School of Public Health. Topics covered include disease prevention, finding a doctor abroad, food and water safety, illness and injury abroad, mosquito and tick protection, resources for travelers, traveling with children or pets, traveling with special needs, vaccinations and immunizations.

Is it recommended by CDC or just a good precaution to be immunized for Hep A when traveling from the US to Jamaica/Grand Caymen Islands?  Do you recommend Hep A for this destination for adults/children?

Also, how many parts is Hep A vaccine - is it 1 shot or multi visits as compared to the adult A/B vaccine which is a few return visits I think ?

Thanks.
Tags: Hep A vaccine, jamaica, Grand Cayman
Avatar_dr_m_tn

The hepatitis A vaccine is a two dose vaccine. Ideally, the two doses are separated by 6 months. I encourage you to discuss with a healthcare provider the pros and cons to administering the vaccine with less than months separating the two doses.

Hepatitis B is three doses (or four doses).

CDC Recommendations for Hepatitis A:

1. Jamaica - Recommended for all travelers
2. Grand Cayman - Recommended for all travelers

In general, and in the cases of Jamaica and Grand Cayman, I concur with CDC's recommendations for Hepatitis A vaccine (adults and children).

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list.htm

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Thank you so much for your informative reply!

I've started the vaccine series, (3 shots + booster next year) and cannot thank you enough for the info you wrote.  As I understand, my Dr mentioned doing it this way I'm approx 90% protected.

J-