Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
8 year old twitching a lot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

8 year old twitching a lot

I have an 8 year old son that has been twitching his head and neck and shoulders.  It started a few months ago and I just thought it was a nervous twitch so I didn't worry about it.  But lately he is doing it all of the time.  Even when he is sitting by himself infront of the T.V.  The twitch is a quick jurk of his head moving forward, or to the side.  Or his neck, or his shoulders moving up like a quick shrug.  When do you know it's more than a nervous twitch?  What are the other possible diagnosis that I can look into?  I wan't to take him to the doctor, but I just got a new job and I don't have insurance yet.  I don't want to take him in until we have it because I don't want them to turn him down for having a pre existing condition, if there is something that does need to get treated.  Do you have any suggestions?
Tags: twitching

It could be a tic disorder (consider googling for more info). Also, stress and/or a magnesium deficiency can cause twitching.

All the best,

PlateletGal
Thank you,  I just looked tic disorder up on google and that was very helpful.  Some of the symptoms were right on, others were more extreem.  He does have the ticks I read about, and the clearing of the throut, but not saying or yelling this out.  He also doesn't have a problem paying attention, or has have ADHD either.  Thank you for giving me an idea of where to look.

MotherOf2+1

You are very welcome. I'm glad the information was helpful to you.