Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Diverticulitis and diverticulosis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Diverticulitis and diverticulosis

I am 57 years old  female...have now diverticulosis which I never knew before. It is a condition where my entire colon has pockets all over from the sigmoid colon to the cecum. The doctor said pancolonic diverticulocic. I went in because I had an episode  of bloody lbm one day that stopped on its own on the 17th trip to the bathroom. I lost blood from 11 of my hemoglobin to 7. But they did  not give me any blood transfusions. The doctors ordered ct scans, x rays and antibiotics. They said it could have been a diverticular coli. Or an infection that happens to anybody. That was 3 months ago.
Two weeks ago , I had this lower left quadrant pain and I went to a doctor at Urgent Care and said if I dont get better after 10 days of  flagyl and cipro, I should go back to my gastroenterologist.
The pain on the left side went away like the doctor promised in just 48 hours. But my  abdomen is  feeling pains every now and then left and right and all around.
I changed my diet from 30 mg of fiber down to 10...
I do not have the insurance and I would not be able to pay any surgery.
Somebody said drink 10 glasses of water everyday.
3 servings of veggies  one day and  three servings of fruits next day.
Is there anybody there who knows how to avoid surgery and just get these colon sacs stay liek that without pain ?
I am trying to drink water as much as I can... They said half your body weight in ounces.
They also said rest your tummy all through the night by eating no later than 6 pm...

ANYBODY THERE PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION....

This discussion is related to i just don't understand.
First of all, you have serious problems and drinking lots of water won't solve them. You have an advanced state of disease and dietary suggestions are above my pay grade.

Go on the internet and searh for "Hill-Burton" care. This is a federal law requiring hospitals that get federal funding to provide a stated amount of free care to the needy.

Select a hospital in your area that offers surgery. Contact the social worker at that institution. Squeak loudly but politely.

You will get any procedure you require without insurance or consideration of your ability to pay.
I have been to the doctor at the ER and said just have  lots of stuck up  bowel at this time. He did not mention any surgery. He said come back if I develop new symptoms.
He  did an x ray and  blood tests..
Why did  the ER doctor behave like I was alright ? I asked if there would be any need  for surgery on my colon... and he said  nah...
When i was 65, I had bloody bowel movements, fainted one morning, went to bed, and realized I had better get to a hospital because I was so ill. I received 3 pints blood and spent 3 days in ICU.  Diagnosis was diverticulosis.  I  was told, fiber, fiber, fiber, so changed my diet. Was fine for two years.  Now I have pain directly under my belly button, bloating, diarrhea, (constant, all day long), occasional constipation, gas, gastro-intestinal gurgling, etc.  Went to Gastroenterologist, after numerous tests to rule out- everything, he told me I have diverticulosis, which I already knew!   Thru research on the internet I learned that there are THREE kinds of diverticulosis  !.  painful diverticulosis, 2.  inflammitory diverticulosis, and  3.bleeding diverticulosis.  Apparently what sent me to the hospital was bleeding diverticulosis.  

The symptoms which I now have, I believe are painful diverticulosis which I've had since last summer.  The are nearly identical to IBS, and can be treated like IBS.  Learn the difference between soluble and insoluble fiber, don't just eat FIBER!!!   Soluble fiber is soft and easy to digest.  Since I've switched my diet, my diarrhea has dropped considerably, however I continue to have pain (which is more like an ache) and which intensifies as the day goes on.  I have found that Ativan helps to stop the colon spasms which I believe is what is causing the pain.  I definitely have an allergy to wheat and gluten, altho I have been tested for and am negative for Celiac disease.  Nevertheless, wheat allergy can exist without having celiac disease., and I simply cannot eat wheat.  My diet now consists of bananas and other soft fruit, flour tortillas, jack and cheddar cheese and fish.  I can add in baked chips (no fat) and salsa.   I also eat plain bagels and sour dough bread with Whipped cream cheese.  I substitute avacado for mayo with turkey or chicken breast meat on sandwiches, no lettuce.  Try the IBS sites, and continue to look up diverticulitis on other sites.  you have to do the research yourself because the doctors really don't know what they are talking about.  Insoluble fiber is going to cause you GREAT PAIN!!!!  Fiber pills are helpful, forget drinking all the water, just stay hydrated!!.  Research more on the internet, the info is there but you really have to dig for it.  For my condition, I am going to ask my doctor for antispasmodics. You need a firm diagnosis, so try the painful diverticulitis diagnosis on your doctor.  And try eating only soluble fiber for awhile, it might work.
Thank you dilong, for your valuable input.

I am not very knowlegeable about intestinal issues.