Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Low potassium or thyroid cause of chronic abdominal and body pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi,I'm a 28 yr old female for last 7 months having severe abdominal pain,altered bowel movements,bloating.chest,back,pelvic,rectal pain,all over body pain (stabbing feeling)tmj,facial and head pain,muscle twitching,70lbs weight loss,metal taste in mouth,nausea,hair loss,pins'n needles feeling,weakness,racing heart (flutters)was in hospital for 3 days in April when abdominal symptoms started,morphine didnt touch this pain,had hida scan,endoscopy,colonscopy,laparscopy,ultrasounds,catscans,barium x rays,tested for porphyria,celiac sprue,pap/pelvic exams,all test ok.Pain ended in June and July ,started in august and getting worse.New dr ordered mercury/lead toxin poisoning,(waiting on results)and thyroid test I yet to go have done most of time housebound.I can go from high fever to ice cold in minutes.In past had ibs but i could tolerate and control it.Was working as cosmetologist till March had to leave work,is possible to be exposed to chemicals such as perm,dye,bleaches,to cause these effects? Diet isnt so good due to stomach pain and nausea,live on ensure,yogurt,juice,soup,deli turkey,crackers,can only manage few bites,even water makes me feel sick.Can low potassium or even thyroid produce these problems? never had many health issues before but kidney stones.I'm at my wits end and getting scared longer this is going on and rapid weight loss and hair loss,prob due to stress of pain and lack of proper diet,I try for 1,000 or 1,200 calories a day but its hard and have to force myself to eat,I try to keep my potassium up by drinking orange juice.I to take multi vitamin.

Did your physicians check your postassium level? To my understanding a low potassium level can cause leg & abdominal cramps because of muscle malfunctions. It also can cause your heart to contract prematurely, muscle twitching and weakness.

In august had my potassium levels checked before laparscopy procedure,levels were ok then,was having some of these symptoms then but not as bad like now,feels like my muscles are on fire alot, especially mid back,not crampy pain, its fire/stabbing pain.
Hi relly feel for you if you read my post I have many of the symptoms you do apart from hair loss and its hard I know to understand whats going on. Trapped wind can cause terrrible pain and so can constipation. Try taking fibrgel twice a day it might help with the constipation and the wind. Sorry I haven't got any answers for your symptoms it must be really difficult as you are so young not that I,m ancient I, 49 yrs going on 86 (excuse the ironic humour) Chris
also forgot to add another thing is after bowel movement still have pain and pressure all day like I didnt "finish" with rectal pain and pressure.Feels like trapped gas,(I havent been able to pass gas in months) could trapped gas be so painful or feeling for bowel movement when you cant? I always feel constipated on top of the body pain and other symptoms.
Hi,ty for your reply.I read your post,sorry to hear your going through so much yourself,I hope you find an answer soon,49 is still young,too young to be going through what you are.The hardest part is being patient and waiting test after test to find out what is going on,but all mine so far come back ok,which  should be a relief ,but it isnt explaining all this pain.Hopefully we will get to bottom of our symptoms soon!
    I've always had stomach probs(ibs) but nothing like this,I controlled it with fiber/diet and tolerated it.Had many kidney stones,this pain is so much worse than those,most of time I'm not constipated,but I always feel like I'am along with severe rectal pain and pressure with hip pain,starting to wonder maybe if its pinched nerve in my back,think next step my dr wants is mri if these recent tests dont reveal anything.
    Coming on here helps keep me sane,so much support on here and kind people.Your in my prayers
                      Stephanie
Hi I know what you mean all my tests were clear 2 yrs ago but hard to get more tests in the uk. I hope you find some answers as well its difficult trying to plod on sometimes this forum has been my lifesaver honestly. Take Care too . XX Chris
hello!

you might want to read online about hyperthroidism. this condition can cause many of the symptoms you're describing. i was recently diagnosed with hashimoto's disease, which is a form of hypo (not hyper) thyroidism and have read alot about both conditions. hyperthyroidism can cause heart palpitations, hair loss, anxiety, rapid weight loss, high blood pressure and many more. please go online for more symptoms. thyroid disease is soooo prevalent and the cause for a myriad of diseases, including heart disease and breast and reproductive cancers.

i'm amazed how it's the one test doctor's don't think to give first. and make sure your doctor checks for your free t-3, free t-4, and antibodies test, along with their standard tsh test. traditional doctors will claim these tests are non-existent but these tests are needed to make a conclusive diagnosis.

another thing....very important...beg to have your vitamin d level checked. i've been having osteoporosis issues recently and my gp wanted to place me on fosamax. i refused. i went to a holistic doctor, who is currently treating me for thyroid disease with supplements, iodine and nature-throid. he did my blood work using the same lab as my gp (who insisted the lab didn't do vitamin d testing) only to discover that i had virtually none in my system. the lack of this essential hormone can potentially be the cause of your heart palpitations and other symptoms, as well as osteoporosis.

i hope some of this helps. and good luck!!! p.s. if you can't tell, i have issues with some of the beliefs of traditional medicine. i'd rather fix the source of the problem than one of the side effects.

a great site for thyroid issues is www.stopthethyroidmadness.com.
Please post back if you figured this out.  It sounds like it was a parasite or endometriosis really bad.  Let us know.
Hello, I am 18 years old and am also having alot of the same symptoms as you. I've had countrless xrays;catscans;bloodtests;urine screenings; pretty much everything but the kitchen sink & everything has come back normal. In the past I had eosinaphilic colitis(sp) which is alot like IBS, but I had always been in control of it. About two months ago all these random symptoms came along numbness & pins'n'needles feeling in my left arm,leg and side of face. Metallic taste in my mouth, lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks, complete loss of appetite(after weightloss) severe pains in my arms and legs[stabbing] and I recently went to a doctor for a lump I found in my right upper abdomen. I had a catscan done and there were no signs of a mass and/or enlarged organs, but yet i've had two doctors tell me I have a mass appx. 10cm in diameter there. My menstrual cycles stopped about 3 months ago, I just feel like Im ready to go loco. I feel for you all and what you are going through, & Wish you all the best of luck!
Check this out:  http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/metallic_taste/causes.htm

This section discusses 43 medical conditions causing Metallic taste. A simple discussion of these causes with additional information is below.

Anchovy poisoning (clupeotoxin)
Bonefish poisoning (clupeotoxin)
Chemical poisoning - Cadmium
Chemical poisoning - Disulfiram
Chemical poisoning - Glaze
Chemical poisoning - Selenium
Chemical poisoning - Solder
Chemical poisoning - Thallium Sulfate
Chemical poisoning - Vanadium
Copper toxicity
Dental caries ... Foul taste
Dental conditions
Gastritis ... foul taste in mouth
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease ... bitter taste in mouth
Heartburn ... acid taste in mouth
Herring poisoning (clupeotoxin)
Jaundice
Lead poisoning
Mercury poisoning
Metal fume fever
Metal Fume Fever - Aluminium
Metal Fume Fever - Antimony
Metal Fume Fever - Cadmium
Metal Fume Fever - Chromium
Metal Fume Fever - Copper  
Metal Fume Fever - Iron
Metal Fume Fever - Magnesium
Metal Fume Fever - Manganese
Metal Fume Fever - Nickel
Metal Fume Fever - Selenium
Metal Fume Fever - Silver
Metal Fume Fever - Tin
Metal Fume Fever - Zinc
Plant poisoning - Protoanemonin ... bitter taste in mouth
Postnasal drip ... foul taste in mouth
Pyrosis ... acidic taste in mouth
Rattle snake poisoning
Sardine poisoning (clupeotoxin)
Scombrotoxic fish poisoning
Selenium - overuse
Slickhead poisoning (clupeotoxin)
Tarpon poisoning (clupeotoxin)
Tooth abscess ... foul taste in mouth

If you visit the website and click on one of these disorders it will further describe it for you so you can see if it's a possibility.  What you are suffering from doesn't sound right, get your heavy metal levels checked.

Good luck

have you been checked for cancer?
I am ALSO suffering from ALL THE SAME SYMPTOMS AS YOU (AND ALL MY TESTS COME OUT "NORMAL"), AND I'M NOW 46...PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU EVER FIND ANY REAL ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I noticed that one of your symptoms was kidney stones.  Most of your symptoms sound like they are thyroid related.  I am experiencing the same symptoms and am waiting for results.  I came across the term: parathyroidism.  Have you had your calcium levels checked? The parathyroid gland releases a hormone (PTH) that pulls calcium from your bones and puts it into your blood.  When this hormone is not in balance, it affects your body's acidity.  You would be experiencing pain, kidney stones eventually, constipation, gastrointestinal problems in general, and a variety of other thyroid-like problems.  Check it out.  I'm not a doctor, but that could be the problem.  Oh, and when you are initially checked for thyroid problems, they do a TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) blood test.  Sometimes, even when there is a problem, the results come up normal; BUT the primary test doesn't include T3 and T4 readings, so always opt for a more conclusive screening, ESPECIALLY WITH THOSE SYMPTOMS.  All the best.