Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Muscle twitching, continuous vibration, stiffness, pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have been suffering with something that began with twitching in the arches of my feet and palms. It has been progressive since July05. I now twitch in a variety of places and can induce them with any kind of movement/exercise ie walking makes them worse, coughing-triggers in abdomen, etc. They are most noticiable in my feet and hands. I have been progressively fatigued and everyday my hands, feet and other body parts are becoming stiffer and stiffer, real bad upon awakening and some relief and then worsening again toward evening. (I started taking vitamins/glucosamine to NO avail) I feel this constant "vibration" feeling in my feet in additon to twitches (you can see the twitches and sometimes they cause my toes and fingers to jerk) VERY annoying. (I tried wearing diabetic socks to reduce my awareness of this feeling-it does help some when I am trying to go to sleep) I have trouble sleeping and I am irritable at times. My hands & feet sometimes hurt & they feel mildly weak but very uncoordinated-particlarily my hand grip. I have even noticed twitching in my face, tongue and neck. I have brief episodes of choking usually during meal time--I feel like my air is cut off for a moment, like something is lodged in my throat...I used to panic, now I just try to relax and it passes quickly. I have been to Dr and he said I had benign fasiculations--they don't feel benign to me since my symptomes are interfering with the quality of my daily life & I feel I am getting progressively worse: pain/stiffness, grip/strength, fatigue, insomnia, choking. Any ideas? Advice on tests? Thanks!!
You should get tested for ALS just in case. Go to the ALS website and read about it to see if your symptoms parallel.

http://www.alsa.org/als/symptoms.cfm?CFID=1683896&CFTOKEN=71081199

* muscle weakness in one or more of the following: hands, arms, legs or the muscles of speech, swallowing or breathing
    * twitching (fasciculation) and cramping of muscles, especially those in the hands and feet
    * impairment of the use of the arms and legs
    * "thick speech" and difficulty in projecting the voice
    * in more advanced stages, shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing and swallowing

I am dealing with a wierd thing too and I am just going through everything eliminated one by one. It can be so many things, some possibly really benign, some not. However doctors tend to give you about 5 mintues and send you away, so you have to be proactive.
I'd recommend some other doctor's appointments.  Try going to doctor's in different specialities until you hit the one that has to do with the illness you have.  Neurologists seem to have different speciality areas of focus so it may take a few visits to find one with what you need.  If you include a genetics doctor, even if it's not genetic, they are used to sorting through symptoms and may be able to suggest what types of doctors to go to.

I have CFS with FM elements, and it doesn't sound like that.  At first I was thinking restless leg syndrome, but it's much more impact than I've ever heard with that.

Good luck.  Glad you found relaxing allows you to get back the air.
Cheri
If they do not think it is ALS- it could be related to FM or CFS. I have both and I feel them everyday. I went through a major flare up almost 2 years ago because of extreme stress and although I hate the feeling- I have had to live with it. I will say that small amounts of benzo. meds. can help. I do take Kolonopin at night so I sleep deeper. (It isn't related to the med. because this was happening before I took it.) I have read that magnesium can help so I am trying to take that. I have this feeling with fatigue, stiffness and pain daily. I guess just know that you are not alone.