Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Non-stop coughing!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Non-stop coughing!

I recently got this cough that goes and comes. But when it's here it's like I'm coughing up nothing and really hard. I coughed so hard tonight I got sick. But if I'm just clearing my throat, I occasionally cough something up, but it's a very light green almost clear. What could be causing the coughing?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
With no other symptom, it is either an irritant cough due to allergy to something or it is due to postnasal drip if you have sinusitis like problem. Other than that it could be due to a severe gastric reflux. Take a late night snack. Raise head end of bed. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. See if these tips help you.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Are you on a blood pressure medication?  Sometimes they can cause coughing.  Just a thought.
Light green is one of those flags waving on the railroad tracks that suggests bad order track ahead.  It's usually yellow, but green is the special flavor of certain buggys.

The differntial diagnosis is as follows:

(1) If the substance is coming from the stomach and the esophagus, then doctornee has probably nailed the nail.

(2) If, on the other hand, the green stuff is coming from the trachea, and the lungs, then think pneumonia.

Or, as they say in the ER: Rule out pneumonia. Etiology probably bacterial.

These problems show up in summer after sleeping under a fan or an air conditioner and are persistant, the problem flaring and subsiding. The nasty little buggies become encapsulated in biofilms and like to live happily every after. It's time to rain on their parade with an airstrike.

The general drill is an antibiotic, specifically zithromax 500 mg a day times three days. They sell in in a three capsule pack.

And an expectorant, such as guinefesen.

Usually a good physician can make the diagnosis by ausculation of the lung fields, anterior and posterior, four quadrants. The catch is he/she may only hear wheezes,rales, or rhonchi when the buggies are partying, which may not be when you show up at the office.

You really need to keep on top of this, because the longer it goes on, the more difficult to clear up.