Pain around Jaw/Neck area
My father is 54 years old (non smoker) and for the past 3 years he's been having a reoccurring pain/swelling around the neck/jaw area (right hand side - around wisdom tooth but its not that). Sharp kind of pain that suddenly appears and is similar to nerves being trapped more or less. We have seen dentist, doctors and done x-rays, ultra sounds and so on but everything appears to be fine. It calms down with antibiotics but its no cure... Do you have any advice what could be causing this? Thank you
Welcome to the forum!
Based entirely on the symptoms there is a possibility of TMJ. A CT scan of the joint would be more diagnostic. Since antibiotics help, an infective pathology has to be ruled out. Infection of sinus, infected tooth and ear infections can all precipitate TMJ.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thank you so much for your time! Will definitely look into this and hopefully get an actual diagnosis soon! It can be so hard to know there is something wrong but not knowing what it is! Have a nice day :)