Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Pulsating Belly Area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Pulsating Belly Area

I am very worried.

I'm a 19 year old, overweight male.

For at least the last few (at least 3) years I have had a pulsating feeling that comes and goes in my lower belly area. I have been stresed recentely due to losing my brother to bowel cancer aged 28, two months ago. During the past few months and particularly after drinking lots of Diet Coke.. the pulsating becomes more frequent and sometimes painful. Recently... my whole stomach/belly area feels as if it has been pushed inwards or back... very strange.  I also have had a sensitive pelvic area (right side) for the past month. This started almost straight after I had problems with my testicles but was catergorically told I didnt have testicular cancer.

After my own research (perhaps silly to do) I have discovered and become very worried that I may have an Abdominal Aortic Aneuryism?

Any help will be great. Thankyou.

The pulsations felt in the abdomen are normally found in some thin persons.But as you are saying that you are overweight,so possibility of abdominal aortic aneurysm(AAA) is high. An aortic aneurysm is a weak spot in the wall of the aorta, the primary artery that carries blood from the heart to the head and extremities. Atherosclerosis(cholesterol deposits) is the main cause of AAA.

Diagnosed by physical examination and investigations like ultrasound or magnetic resonance angiography. The treatment for an aneurysm depends on many factors: where it is, how big it is, how quickly it is enlarging, and whether or not it has caused any symptoms. For small aneurysms medications to control blood pressure and blood thinner like coumadin are the only treatment that is required.For large aneurysms,surgery may be required.

I feel that you should get yourself evaluated by a surgeon at the earliest so that mode of treatment can be decided.
Take care and pls do keep us posted on how you are doing.

Thankyou for your response.

I went to my doctor. She says AAA's do happen but she said it's not normally found in people my age.
She examined me for hernias and such like and did other examinations and she did discover I have high blood pressure (possibly a combination of bieng overwieght and recent heavy bereavement stress) and firstly wants to get this under control.
She also discovered that I had high sensitivity on both, upper sides of my abdomen where the muscles lie below the ribs/just above the pelvis'.
Since seeing my Doc, I changed my diet, did a gym workout... and now I feel awful - exhausted - my stomach cant take that much food and it feels as if it has been pushed backwards and upwards into my body... The bulging/pulsating isnt happening as often in the last few days, but this stuff with my belly/stomach/abdomen feeling different is rather worrying.
Any extra direction would be appreciated, thankyou.