Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Severe Pain under left rib cage, radiates to the back

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hello everyone,
   About 3 years ago I was hospitalized for pancreatitis, spent a week in the hospital and by the time I went home the pain was gone. I don't drink and the doctors couldn't find any gallstones or tell me what caused it. I was fine for 10 months then it came back, the same pain in the same spot, I had bloodwork done every week, had a hida scan which showed my gallbladder wasn't contracting as well or quikly as it should but was fine othe than that. I also had an ultrasound, CT scan and endoscopic procedure and an abdominal Xray and MRI which all came back normal. My blood work showed slightly elevated liver enzymes and Lipase. They ended up doing expolritory surgery to remove my gallbladder and low and behold there were a few stones in it even though none showed up on the many test they performed. I finally thought my pancreatitis was gone for good, however a few months ago it came back. I was admitted to the hospital for a week, out for a week and then admitted for another week. My doctors have performed all of the test mentioned before including diagnostic surgery but have not been able to find anything other than a hiatial hernia, a small ulcer and a "idopathic" motility disorder but they still can not figure out whats causing me all the pain. I have Hypothyroidism and take synthroid. They did a biopsy and have suposely cleard me of pancreatic cancer and autoimmune pancreatitis. But my doctors are now at a loss as to what to do now since they have already done every test from A-Z so they will now be refering me to the Mayo Clinic, I was wondering if any one out there has any ideas about what my problem is.....
Welcome to the forum!
Hiatal hernia with gastric ulcer can also cause chest pain radiating to back. It could also be chronic pancreatitis. Get your serum calcium and lipid profile done to see if high calcium and lipids are a cause of pancreatitis. For more information please refer: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/pancreatitis/
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!

Thank you for your response and the link. I know that the ulcer and hernia can cause pain but I was treated for them in the hospital and I've done a ton of research on my issues plus based on my doctors opinions, the severity of the pain and my previous history it is not believed that the pain is being caused by the ulcer and/or the hernia. I hope that the Mayo clinic will be able to help finally put an end to all of this, or at the very least be able to give me a definate diagnosis. thanks again for your help and I'll let you know if I find out whats up.

OMGoodness.... your article brought me to tears, I am in the early stages of the misery that you have indured. All kinds of test and NOTHING... I have the same pain, and it is unbearable and I am at my wits end. I can not continue to live this way, it consumes me when its here, and it comes and goes like you said, but more often than not. I am being referred to a Surgeon this week and I KNOW there is something wrong and they have got to find it... but I am afraid that I am going to be right back in the same boat all over again.... no answer and still consumed with pain. I wish you the best of luck at the Mayo Clinic, and please if you find out ANYTHING please share it with us.