Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Strange feeling of heat in my leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Strange feeling of heat in my leg

For the last few days I've been getting a very strange sensation in my right leg, between the back of my knee and the top of my calf. It's a feeling of heat which lasts for a few seconds.  This happens about 2 or 3 times an hour. It's not painful, it just feels weird. My leg is not hot to the touch, it's a kind of internal heat (quite hard to describe!). I have a desk-based job but I do get up and move around regularly. Also a couple of times in the last few days I've had a kind of breathless feeling and can feel my heart beating very quickly. This also lasts just a couple of seconds. I don't know if the 2 things are related.  Can anyone shed any light on this please!
Tags: heat, Work, Knee
Thanks for your comments, actually today I haven't had the sensation at all yet, and I'm not at work today.  So I'm starting to think it might be my office chair, although I've been using the same chair for 9 months so it seems strange it's only just started happening.  I will see what happens when I go back into work on Monday!  I've already got a doctor's appointment lined up for something else so I'll mention it when I go.
Try elevating your feet on a foot stool or something while you work. You may just be putting pressure on a vein in the back of your knee or something.
Thanks, I think it's definitely my office chair, I didn't have the feeling all weekend and this morning I've swapped chairs and it hasn't happened yet so fingers crossed!
How many people have this problem???  I just posted about the same thing (6/11/06) and then scrolled down to find 2 other posts dealing with this exact same issue.  I just want to say I feel much better hearing that it is probably just related to how we are sitting at our desks and not anything more serious (that's what the other responses said too).  

PHEW!  But in any case I have a doctor's appointment and will post a follow-up after I hear what he has to say.
I have this heat start in my thigh and shoot to my lower leg.  only on my left side,  Its very wierd and I would love to know what it means. also
nonunu
Wow this has been interesting.  I have heat flushes alot everday in my left shin and it is kind of creepy.  From what I have read there seems to be no relation to clot symptoms as this is what I feared coming up to flying overseas.  I did come across this website http://carefirst.staywellsolutionsonline.com/Library/AsktheExpert/Bone/72,ATD070905  which for me has made alot of sense due to reoccuring injuries in my left leg.  It sounds by everyone's postings regarding these weird sensations that the symptoms and causes are quite individual and which suggest diagnosis will also be individual rather than one collective diagnosis.  Good luck everyone.
I am having the same sensation-just started yesterday, but has been consistently happening at least 2x per hour.  It is a heat sensation on the back of my upper/inner left thigh.  Very strange....glad to see others having the same thing.
I too have been having "heat" in an area above the inside of my right ankle - several times/day for the last month.  There is no swelling and when I feel the heat sensation, I don't feel that heat with my hand.  There seems to be no difference the the amount whether sitting, standing or lying down.  Of course, I worry about blood clots.
I also have the same heat sensation down my leg.  I am beginning to worry.  Has anyone spoke with a doctor and ruled out anything serious?
I get a 'hot flash' in my left calf area several times an hr- even when I'm not at home-  very weird-  my calf isnt hot to the touch-

If anyone has any ideas... let me know
When there is a problem with a nerve it can cause several types of sensations, one of them being the sensation of heat. Sitting in a chair whose seat pan is too shallow can cause problems like this. (I know cause I use to sell office furniture). You might try seeing if your chair has an adjustable seat pan. The seat will actually slide in and out. Just try all the levers. If not, get a new chair.
The sensation that you all discribe can be as simple as your sitting position, but it should then resolve after walking around.
If it is a blood clot, it typically hurts like a son of a gun.
The weird hot sensation can also be a nerve that is not functioning.
All in all, always better to have it checked out by a MD.  Better look a litlle foolish than to deal with worse consequences.
Good Luck
Daysie
I just started having these heat sensations on my left leg (just below the knee on the calf on the outside of the leg).  It's very unusual.  It's so distinct, that I first started looking for a heat source when it occurred because it is never associated with pain.  It just feels like somebody is holding something very warm to my leg or that there is hot air blowing there.

I'll change out my chair to see if that helps.

Thanks,

M. Clark
I have the EXACT same sensation, in the area just below my left (outside) ankle bone.  No pain, no actual physical heat, just the sensation of heat under the skin.  Makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one, and it sounds like a nerve/sitting issue - let me know if anyone here has been diagnosed in any way that we would have to worry about it - thanks!

WB
I was in a T-bone accident which caused a lot of nerve and mussle damage to my left leg and back about 3 mnths ago.  I developed a rash on my leg all around shortly after also still hot to touch. Is this from the nerve damage because I am now getting another rash behind my left arm. It is not painful to touch but I did have abdominal pain, heart racing, headache. My physio therapist thought it may be shingles???
I had 3 dopplers (all came back ok) different times due to swelling in left leg and then the right leg. Didn't think this car accident could cause so much of a domino effect. Can Naproxin cause swelling/pain and rash I had taken it for 3 mnths?  Not to sure what to think with so many issues. Really to many to mention.  Thank you.
Hi. I have been having warmth surges in my right foot about every 20 minutes or once an hour.  It doesn't matter if I am standing or lying down on a bed they just come.  There is no pain, actually the warmth feels good.  The foot doesn't look any different either. The surge lasts about 2 seconds.  I am concerned this could be a circulatory problem in my heart or a leg vein.  Eventhough my health is fine otherwise, I believe this reoccuring symptom could be serious-any suggestions? Thanks
I have the same sensation of heat in my right hip joint in the back. It is so weird...It also happens very often - I am glad to see that other people experience that as well. I might go see a doctor for that. I am actively doing yoga maybe it's because of that but I will also try to change my office chair to see if it will help.
I feel better seeing that others have this too.  THere is no pain, but on the same calf, dozens of times a day.  It feels like someone poured hot water over my leg, and then it's gone.  Nothing looks weird ont he outside of my leg.  I am a SAHM of three, so I am never sitting for too long, I excersice daily, eat healthy, slightly overweight, have not been in an accident....this has been going on for two weeks, yet I feel silly going to a dr about it.  Thought I would check out the web, and I find this, however, no one has a cure or a reason huh?
I have a similar issue everyone here has posted... a heat sensation behind my right knee and lower thigh.  Happened about 2 weeks ago, seems to happen a couple times and hour, but more so when sitting.  No pain, no swelling, no redness.  I went to the chiropracter because I thought it was lower back/nerve related.  He cracked and aligned me but no help.

I would love if someone could help figure out what's going on.
I think there's quite a lot of us with the same sensation out there. I get the heat sensation at the back of my thigh from time to time. It was wierdest when I was swimming in a cold pool (I had goose bumps) but this hot sensation on my thigh! I am sat a desk for periods of time at work though and positioning seems to be the key here. Mind you whilst in the car on 31st I had this extreme heat on the my pelvis and front legs, as if the car blowers were on, but they weren't & it was really cold, so i can't quite work that one out, but it lasted about 10mins and actually was very welcome given how cold we were feeling!
I went to see a Neurologist today-he told me there was nothing he could do regarding my /bacl/sciatica/SI joint problems.  This seems to be causing pain/numbness in my ankles/feet/toes.   Has anyone ever had these symptoms and did they go away?
I am really upset that visiting him was a waste of time and wondering what do I do next?
my ankles have been getting warm from time to time, and it has only been with in the last four days. I don't know what this could be related to. It started on the night before halloween when i was driving for about 8 hours to my grandmother's funeral. The car was actually cold and i thought the heater was on then i realised the heater wasn't on and it was just my left ankle. I have also been traveling alot for a duration of 4 hours almost every day since. Now there is that same sensation in my right ankle that just happened 1 hour ago. On top of that i have been feeling pain in my abdomen area. What could this be? Is there something wrong with me?
I have the same issue everyone else is describing, its sort of like a heating pad, but when i feel the area, there's no difference on the surface.  One thing I haven't seen much on the comments is quick heart beats every so often as well.  Kind of like anxiety, I notice the first comment mentioned it but no one else.  I don't have medical coverage right now so can't afford to go to a doctor and get checked out.  Any information would be appreciated if someone learns anything new.  Thanks...makes me a little nervous considering i'm under 30 years of age and have never had any major health issues.  Any info is appreciated.

I have the same thing.  Heat down the right calf and into the foot sometimes.  I also think I have felt it starting in the upper leg.  I had myself paranoid that I had MS or some other thing.  I went to a neurologist and he said that the symptoms would not occur on such a random basis if it were MS.  He said the symptoms tend to be more constant when you have that....unless of course you are not in an active stage.  I think it could be the nerve from the lower back.  That is what his first thought was.  Who knows....but glad that I am not the only "freak" out there.  :)
Ok, there seems to be a pattern with these foot related hot flashes. About 4 days ago I just started feeling this warm sensation on my left foot, like a heater blowing on it. It's not hot to the touch and it only lasts about 4 or 5 seconds and happens three or four times a day. I'm 48 years old and in pre-menopause /slash/ early menopause, so maybe thats it. I'm also getting some heart palpatations, but doc said it could be hormone related. Haven't been back to the doc to tell her about the "hot foot." Has anyone else seen a medical doctor on this symtom?
I have a flush of heat in my left inner thigh, at first every now and then, now more constant.  Maybe because I am obsessed with it.  I do have a vein there I can see. I also have a bulging disc and a pinched nerve in my left neck that will not go away.  My neck feels like an electrical shock.  I have done chripratic and massage, but have run out of money!  I also fear the doctor.  I can't believe other people have this.
Me too Me too Me too. I have ben having the heat in the left instep foot but first in the left inner thigh,also for short bursts. Whats the deall? also have reoccurring neck arm nerve issues.Numbness I Never want surgery for this. Alt medicine? Also desk job computer graphics....
What can I do?

I  too have experianced heat on the skin of my left leg. I would last for a short time. Someone suggested it may be a pinched nerve. I have what is called a back swing. You hand upsidedown on it. I did this and the heat was gone. after a month or so it has returned but I do the backswing and it's gone.
1Dawson  
wow there are really alot of you experiencing this problem.  when my father was in the hospital he experienced these types of warmth or heat sensations you are referring to in his legs.  He had acquired diabetes while he was in the hospital as a complication of something else.   I highly recommend you all get checked for diabetes!!!!!!!  If this is not the case then the only other things that come to mind right now are nerve pain and/or blood clots but if it were a blood clot you would know it because that would be tender to the touch and extremely painful.  I suggest if it turns out that it is not diabetes you might try a medication like Neurontin.  My mother takes this for burning in her feet and it has helped her tremendously!!  She couldn't do without it.  Hope this helps!!!!!  Good luck to each of you!!!
It is amazing to hear how many have this heat sensation somewhere in there legs. I have it in my right inside ankle, I also have the heart racing, I wondered about the diabetes. I don't sit at a desk and it happens when I walk or sit. I did have an accident on a 4 wheeler a few years back. Thanks for sharing it does help to know your not the only one and not crazy. Hope to find something out soon.
Hi, I have been experiencing the 2-second heat feeling on my left calf all day.  I am always walking around throughout the day and have no health problems, so this concerns me.  No heart issues.  I will probably mark it on my calendar just to see if any pattern emerges.  Glad I'm not alone in my symptoms.  :-)
Hi,my dad,who is above 80 years had an accident and the car fell on his right leg.since then he has been experiencing this heat sensation on the leg.it is worse at night.pls what i should i do.any drugs to be recommended?he really needs help fast.thank you
Hi,my dad,who is above 80 years had an accident and the car fell on his right leg.since then he has been experiencing this heat sensation on the leg.it is worse at night.pls does anyone know what i should do.any drugs to be recommended?
You have all been abducted by aliens, they put a device in you and certain times throughout the day you feel it in the form of heat.
I have the same heat sensation on my left calf muscle to me it feels like I'm standing near a fireplace but only in that one spot. It doesn't hurt just real noticable I've been getting this feeling for about a week now at various times. I was told that it meant that I'm not grounded my head is in the clouds and that I have big dreams but I haven't been doing anything about it. And to be honest that was dead on because that's exactly how I've been feeling
I like the Alien concept as my warm fuzzy feeling in my the back of my right calf has my doctor stumped. So I look forward to seeing what some one comes up with. k
I have it for about 10 mins, it feels strange yet many peoplein my family said something about limes diseases
Thanks for the good laugh Mystery_god! Aliens LOL

Eh oui! Me too!
Under my right foot for the last 4-5  days. I agree with you all, very strange sensation. I had some pain at the right knee a week ago for a few days, no false move, no reason.
I also thought it was all the painting I've done in my appartment the last fews days, having to hold some unusual positions on the ladder. But after reading you all, I'm not so sure.
I'm in front of a computer all day but doubt seriously the chair could be the reason. And I consider myself a pretty grounded person... :-)
I thought that circulation problem could bring cold feet but hot feet... don't know.
The weirdest thing is nobody has an answer!!!  Maybe you're right Mystery_god!
I am only 20 and recently within the last two weeks I've had a strange heat sensation on my right knee, again not painful, it just feels like someone if placing a blow dryer in front of it. Its very peculiar, and a little disturbing, my Dr. was booked this week but I'm going next Tuesday. Other symptoms include insomnia and fast heart beating, I seem to be stressing out easily, at least that's what I'm taking it as. For over a year I've had on and off pain in my hips, I'm wondering if this may be related/ a new symptom to a pre-existing condition.
This is really interesting. This happened to me for the first time yesterday. Left calf. I was sitting on a regional jet and thought there was a fan blowing hot air on my leg. I was about to complain, and then realized that there was no fan! The very strong "heat" feeling has been coming and going ever since.
  To Jakeypoyner, doubtful that this is Lyme disease, unless you also have a red blotchy spot in the area affected as well as fatigue, achy muscles, etc.
  This appears to be a symptom sometimes associated with deep vein thrombosis, clots, thrombophlebitis or inflammation of veins due to accumulation of lactic acid in the muscle. I guess best recommendation would be to discuss those with your primary care physician and see what he or she can rule out.
I too have been experiencing a weird sensation of heat in my left leg, right around the shin area. I can’t think of any reason for why I would be feeling this strange feeling of warmth--where the heat almost feels like it is radiating from inside of my leg, but yet at the same time my leg is not hot to the touch. The feeling of heat seems to come and go, however, the more attention I focus on it, the longer it seems to linger. I’m kind of freaking out about it because it’s weird.
I have been exercising regularly for the past four months, and I wonder if that has anything to do with this issue? I try to walk about 4 miles a day, that or else I do a Tae Bo video. Maybe I somehow damaged my leg while exercising? Or maybe I just damaged the nerves in my leg?
I don’t think I’m sitting in any chairs oddly—although I do sit cross legged on the floor when I meditate.
I don’t know, but if anyone ever goes to see a doctor for this issue I’d love to know if the heat in my leg is anything that I should be worried about. Right now, it just feels weird, but I’m not sure what it means.  I’d love to know if this leg feeling is a serious problem or if it’s just a pinched nerve or somehow related to how I sit or walk.  
Oh wow, I thought I was the only one! I had posted this on the Menopause forum wondering if this had something to do with my hormones. I don't think I've entered Menopause yet but had wondered if it was the precursor to it, perimenopause.
I'm so glad I'm not alone! I've been having this heat sensation on my outer left ankle that comes and goes. In fact, it feels so weird that I've caught myself glancing down at it when it happens because it feels as if I have a heat vent blowing hot air right on it. That's the only way I know how to describe it, kind of like when you're in your car and the heat vent is blowing on your feet, you know? Only this is when I'm sitting at home. Weird. I wonder what it really is???
Welcome to the forum!
Since you have heat sensation (inflammation) that comes on and off, I think you could have deep vein thrombosis of the deep veins of the leg or maybe valvular dysfunction of the deep veins of the legs. This can be diagnosed by color Doppler or by angiogram of the leg veins. High blood pressure, kidney dysfunction, diabetes and hypothyroidism should be ruled out.
If you are an active sports person or use gym (exercise) a lot, then the sensation could also be due to compartment syndrome (due to overuse of leg muscles) or due to inflammation of fascia lata (a fascia on the lateral side of thigh).
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please discuss with your doctor.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

i have the same heat sensation on the back of my upper leg...no pain either..has anyone that has gone to the doctor had a change..or an answer?
So many people have this problem but no good answers so far.  Hasn't anyone gone to the doctor?  The same thing started with me a few days ago.  I'm a little worried, but not much since so many people have the same problem.  I spoke to a doctor (a friend) and he said to use an anti-inflammatory, but thrombosis would be a possibility.  He wasn't too concerned about it though.
I am so relieved that I am not the only one having these symptoms.
But, I have has these "heat" episodes on the outsides of both my right and left calves for almost 2 years now.
And like most of you, it does not feel hot to the touch at all. It is not red either. Mine has woken me up several times at night. I feel them at odd hours - at work, sitting, standing, driving, lying in bed - just anytime! Sometimes, I put an ice pack on it - just to get some sort of a relief.
Some of my friends even thought it was some sort of a Restless Leg Syndrom (syndrome). But, the symptoms of RLS differ from what I have, so, I went to see my doctor.
My PCP ran a whole bunch blood tests, and everything came back OK. So, she referred me to a Neurologist who also ran his own blood tests and did some electric shock wave tests (where they connected some wires from this machine that were attached to needles on my legs) to see what they read.
That also came back OK.
The Neurologist now said that there was nothing wrong and hoped that the "heat" feeling would go away on it's own.
I am very worried that something could be going very wrong with me, and no doctor is able to find out.

I am so glad I found this forum.  I have been experiencing these same symptoms on the left side of my thigh near my knee.  I thought I was going crazy at first but realized I was truly experiencing heat radiation through my skin.  It looks like it's not much to worry about.  I work at a desk and know it's not ergonomically correct so I will work on that to see if it helps.
Does anyone else with this condition experience a mild nausea?  I'm not sure if its part of this condition or just that I'm 'sick' of this perpetual heat which I have been experiencing in my left shin everyday for about 9 months. If anyone has been to the docs with this condition were you taken seriously? Were any tests suggested? I wondered if it was an electrolyte imbalance as I do get cramp at night. There is some comfort in the fact that others are experiencing the same sensation and are obviously well enough to write about it. I think we should all 'chill' out - chance would be a fine thing.
IM 24 years old and having this strange heat too its on my right ankle Im kinda worried that im falling appart already..  going to the dr today keep you updated
I was just telling my boyfriend how it feels like I'm standing by a fire place but only my left leg is getting the heat. The first time I felt it was yesterday in the car, and I thought it was just the heat. And then this morning I thought it was my UGGs.

Can someone pls let me know what their dr said.

I too sit for long periods of time at my desk. Maybe it is the way I sit, or my chair.
Same here.

Feels like hot air blowing on my left thigh.  I always touch it to see if it feels warm but always feels normal.  Not painful, just disturbing.  

I work at a computer all day.  Don't get much exercise because I also have a long drive.  Only exercise I get is playing with my toddler and 4 yr old.  

I have Carpal Tunnel and I'm on anti-inflammatory for that.  I also have Granuloma Annulare and have been told it's been linked to diabetes, pre-diabetes, thyroid conditions, etc.  It's basically an inflammatory disease that has no cure and is usually a signal something else is going on.  I have to have yearly tests for diabetes now.  I do have symptoms that are similar to those with pre-diabetes or even some of the thyroid conditions.  

Anyone else have Granuloma Annulare or the other symptoms of pre-diabetes/thyroid conditions?  
I'm 23 and have just started noticing this heat phenomenon on the bottom of my feet - feels like my foot is on top of a heater, but is not actually hot to touch. My father is a neurologist and plans on stopping by to see me tonight, so I will ask him and get back to you guys!
ok, so I just asked my dad (a Neurologist) and he said that it might be a peripheral nerve thing, but unless the area is swollen, red and/or numb, it's nothing to really worry about and simply falls into the category of "weird." It's most likely due to a minor peripheral nerve being pinched or having odd tension/pressure, but nothing serious.  Hopes this puts some minds at ease a little!
HI Folks, another "hot legger" here - have had it in my right shin for about a week now....same thing, no redness, lumps or bumps  but about a month or so before the heat started I did get an itching feeling there.....

Cheers : )
I too had this sensation but mine was in my left ankle/foot.  Mine went away on its own and has never reteurned.  No clue what it was i guess.  I suffer from some anxiety issues so maybe thats what it was.
I've been having a hot feeling in my lower right side back for a few weeks now. Then this past sunday as I was driving around my right thigh got extreamly hot, to the point I pulled over and got out of my truck. After I got back in it seemed fine. Scared me though. But I still have the heat on the right side of my back and sometimes in my right arm.. I have a doctors appointment in the morning. I'll let everyone know what he says.
I am amazed that something I thougth was an isolated incident, is seemingly very common?!
My doctor asked me to change my runners. That I have overworn them, and there is pressure that can be causing this feeling of "heat".
I will see...I will see.
I too had the leg "hot flashes" along with other symptoms.  When I went to the doctor he ordered a TSH (thyroid test).  Lo and behold, I have hyperthyroidism.  You guys may want to check with your doctors about this.  It has something to do with the estrogen levels in your body (I am quickly approaching menopause - if that's any help to you guys).
The doctor above called "doctornee medical" stated exactly what could possibly be my problem; he said:

"If you are an active sports person or use gym (exercise) a lot, then the sensation could also be due to compartment syndrome (due to overuse of leg muscles) or due to inflammation of fascia lata (a fascia on the lateral side of thigh)."

I've been doing a lot of stretching in yoga with various poses; and the back of my legs need the most stretching and gets the most stretching; i must be over exerting it.
But sitting in airplanes for international flights (long periods of time) I think has also caused problems, and now sitting in cars too long bothers me with a sharp shooting pain in the leg - I believe that problem is sciatica (but I'm not a doctor).

And now I have the same heat sensation on back of both thighs as many of you above - it's happening as I type this post. I'm next going to research the quoted diagnosis (in this posting) and see how to relieve this issue.
Read taht
Thanks for all the postings.  I've been experiencing the sensation of heat on the lateral aspect of my left thigh lasting about 5 seconds, maybe 6-8 times a day for two weeks. I could be standing  or sitting. It's actually a comforting sensation like the heat of a beam of sun through a window on a warm day. My leg isn't warm to touch. Glad to know it appears harmless to everyone else. I too wondered about a nerve problem of a chronic nature. Hopefully, this too will pass or at least not get any worse. Best to all. April 27,2010
I have been having this same sensation since the last week. Its always on the right leg, mostly evening time, today its been off and on all day. Have an appt with the neurologist tomorrow. I hope its nothing serious! :(
I too have been having this heat sensation on my right leg (from the knee level down the ankle) several times a day over the last week... I'm not sure what it is - that's why I googled and found out this forum... It's not painful it is just kind of unusual feeling of heat...
Great info everyone. I'm glad to know that others are having the same issue as me, and that it doesn't seem to be all that bad. I first experienced the sensation of hot air blowing on my right thigh about 5 days ago. I felt it several times,  and then again today I felt it a couple more times.

I'm not a doctor, but I have a strong feeling that (in my case) it's somehow foot-related.

Recently I found out that I have really flat feet, so I bought some custom insoles that were intended to give my feet the proper amount of arch, thus helping my spine to align correctly and improve my overall back health. I've been wearing them for a few weeks now with no major problems... just some soreness at first. But last week I put the insoles into a pair of very stiff hiking boots for the first time and wore them while I did some yard work. That was the first day I experienced the heat sensation.

I'm going to contact my chiropractor and the maker of the insoles to see if this is a common complaint when adjusting to the new insoles.
I am the odd ball here i guess. I have what everyone else is descibing here but I'm getting it in my left arm on the other side of my elbow where you would get blood taken. So weird I don't get it at all. But I'm glad to see that other people are getting this werid sensation, even if it is in a different part of my body then the rest of you.
It is a form of bio energy.  When it surges locally, you will feel heat under the skin.  I am not sure why suddenly so many of you are experiencing this.  For people who do Chinese Chi (or Qi) exercise, this is a very common sensation.  Some people have crawling or tingling sensation instead of heat.  You can get a Chinese acupucture point chart online and try to find the line with points that runs through the heat location on your body.  You might be able to find more information from there.  

There are simple exercises you can do to control, manage and even harvest this energy.  The key is to let it flow freely up and down along the acupucture line if you can.  We can talk about this if people are interested.
I'm so glad I am not crazy.  I have been having the same heat sensation on the left side of my stomach.  It doesn't hurt, it is just weird.  
I've had heat sensation in right foot and in different parts of the foot  as well as my upper thigh in the last few months.  Went to the Doctors today and suggested it has to with my thryoid as I take medication for hypothyroidism for last 6 years or so. Other suggestion was peripheral neuropathy and if anyone looks at symptoms of this it is sometimes similar to quite a few peoples comments on here.  Hope this helps.  I'm going to have full blood test next week and also have glucose test to make sure I haven't got diabetes as well as sometimes heat sensations in feet/hands could be to do with this also.
I'm having the heat sensation in my thigh, 1 month ago i had a procedure done on my back  denevation ot the fatcus joints 6 nerves destroyed in my spline as i was in pain all the time and on strong pain killers and know i'm pain free but i'm getting heat sensation in my thigh couple of times an hour all the time
I have just developed this strange heat in my left leg for the past week or so, and have now seen two doctors who both say it is not a clot, but my family doctor is doing blood tests for thyroid problems and or a B12 deficiency.  She says if the blood tests do not give her an answer she will send me for an MRI.  She has found this extremely strange.  It is not painful but is getting more frequent and is irritating because it feels weird and is worrying me.  I am 20 pounds overweight, but in good shape.  I am on 25 mg lopressor and 40 mg diovan for stress induced hypertension and it is working very well.  BP runs around 125/80 most of the time. I do take evening primrose oil and wild alaskan salmon oil daily for a supplement.but have not ever heard of side effects that would manifest itself as heat in my leg.
I just started having these heat sensations on the back of  my left hand  for the past three days, it just feels like someone is holding something very warm close to my hand.
In my work I use a chair whose seat pan is too shallow, I was wondering if that might be the reason for this problem.
I am going to change my chair to see if that helps.
i understand what's happening in a lot of these cases. Driving. americans - mainly left legs, calves thighs...english mainly right ankles calves thighs. i reckon it's driving strain. i myself am a relatively new driver (2 months passed) and have started having the hot water poured on riht foot sensation. theya re all described very similarly. It is posture related. check your seating and driving technique.

it is the body responding to new strain on one or two particular pressure points.

unfortuntely, i am unsure how to treat it if you can't aviod driving or sitting!!
I have been having heat radiate up my back for a couple of months.

In the beginning,  it was a few times a week and would pass.  Now this heat sensation that feels like a heating pad that has started on warm and reached medium hot is happening every day usually in the morning when I get up.  I also get a little bit of heart palpitations along with the heat.

It is very scary and I don't like it one bit.  I can speculate it may be anxiety related, or I always have lower back pain and with the change of season I noticed my lower back hurts more.  

I also am a diabetic and take a pill a day for diabetes and a pill a day for high blood pressure.

I called my primary care doctor and have an appointment on Monday and I will let everyone know what he says.
I experienced this for the first time last night.  I was sleeping with my girlfriend, our legs where crossed, then a small flash of heat hit my thigh.  I thought she was peeing on me.  I jumped and then realized it was me. lol. Its good its not anything serious.
I have had the "hot flash" on my left foot for a few months. It happens dozens of times a day. Each time lasts a few seconds. It actually feels good(warm and soothing) but weird. I don't really worry about it. I am just wondering why it is on my left foot but not on my right foot. I've been meditating(sitting with my legs crossed) 45 min a day for the past 3 months. I am almost 50. I think it could be something related to "menopasue"(instead of hot flash on my head, I have it on my left foot?) or cuased by meditation.
Can't belive this many people are experiencing the same problem as I am.  The heat sensation is in my right leg a few inches above my knee. It started nearly 2 weeks ago. I was having  coffee when it suddenly felt like I spilt it on my leg, (warm not hot) but I didn't. I've been having them everyday since, usually 6 or 7 times a day and they only last about 2 to 3 seconds. No pain, no redness and no other symptons.  My doctor has scheduled me for test and will update this site as I find out more.
I have the exact same problem, walked around switched chairs but it is still there! definitely not the chair in my case! I also have two herniated disks in my back, but they are supposed to effect my right foot not the left one! which is exactly where I feel the heat. I am only 32 and it bothers me to think about the future, I mean, after all, things do get worse with age! anyway, I have an appointment scheduled on Friday and will post my diagnoses ....  
I'm 43 female went to the hospital tonight 12/17/2010 for the same symptoms heat radiating on the back of my left thigh, with tenderness upon touching my inner thigh and strange tingle sensation when touch with my hand, but not clothes  ....Had a a ultrsound done found a sluggish vein just below my knee... Took about 6 tubes of blood to include check my blood for clotting all those test came out fine....They did not rule out anything except that tonight I had no blood clot...Had no meds to prescribe that I would take, however they prescribed a muscle relaxer and pain pills, but since I'm not in pain I did not fill those...I'll keep everyone posted...I see my primary doctor first thing Monday as ordered by the ER doctor....They felt it may be something else but that I'm not in immdiate danger to stay in the hospital.  
O man driving home after a movie (inception, watched while slouching in a comfy leather couch) I felt a burning (not painful but scary) sensation in my upper inner right thy! i thought i was crazy to have felt the heat to the touch but i had other feel it too. This lasted for about 5-10 minutes. I hear everyone else isn't feeling the heat to the touch, they call it internal; my case is a little different.
Can't believe this...mine comes and goes every couple hours or more frequet sometimes no matter what I'm doing...in the back of my right calf the heat runs up or down my calf for just a few seconds....what a weird feeling....for like 5 days now...hope it goes away...please keep me posted people....thanks.
And another, a warm/hot feeling on the back of right thigh almost feels like warm water being poured on my skin. Happening just a few times recently - first time when driving. I am 50+, male, british driver. Have problems with varicose veins in lower right leg (for which i take horse chestnut and butchers broom) also lower back problems - just recently started up again coinciding  a bit with these warm feeling episodes. Not overweight or sedentary, fairly regular cyclist. Will return to osteopath and make a GP appointment to try and learn more.
Very interesting to read of so many people with similar symptoms. Although the nerve thing could be a possibility my gut feeling would be a vein thing as it really does feel as if a lot of extra blood is suddenly flowing up my leg.
guess what? me too! I havve had nerve heat pain and it is not a normal nerve heat. I light the des. of standing in front of the fireplace heat. I do not sit in a chair for any long periods of time. So I do not know but, it does perplex me that so many have it.
Hi! A heat sensation or sudden feeling of warmth can be a sign of blood clot or deep vein thrombosis. It can also be due to pinched nerve or due to diabetic neuropathy. If you are on birth control pills, then this could be due to the side effect of pills as they can also cause deep vein thrombosis. Hormonal imbalance of menopause can also be a cause. For diagnosis first a duplex ultrasound or color dopplar would need to be done. If this is negative then a nerve conduction study and test for diabetes. If there is a chance then if everything else is negative, then lupus may need to be tested for.
I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining. A comprehensive investigation is required keeping all the points in mind. Hope this helps. Take care!
I have been having a hot flash in my right calf for the past 2 weeks. It has gotten more frequent. It feels like a heater is next to my calf. It isn't painful, just warm. It happens while I'm sitting at my desk and when I am standing or lying down. I wanted to know if anyone else has had an actual diagnosis from a doctor for this symptom?
Just typed in "physical therapy for pinched nerve" into google and came across a page by a woman who sought help for a similar problem (in her shoulder) from a physical therapist, neurologist, acupuncturist and finally a neurosurgeon. The neurosurgeon suggested an Overdoor Cervical Traction device and supposedly it relieved her of her symptoms. I've had radiating heat starting from my foot to the back of my right thigh for 6 months now. I work at a desk everyday and sit for long periods of time. After reading the link I simply grabbed both sides of my head with my hands and pulled my head upward and I felt immediate relief in my leg. After 20min and sitting to work again the feeling of heat has come back but I think I'll invest in an Overdoor Cervical Traction device and see if I can treat myself until the pain is no longer. She did recommend that you see a physician regarding the use of the device since everyone is different and result may vary.
I also have been having stranfe feelings in my legs.  I had a PE about a month or so ago.  I am scared that the feelings in my legs are clots but I am on Coumadin and my numbers are stabel. I also  just got diagnosed with Factor V Leiden.  I reported the strange feelings in my legs to my Hemotologist who just told me that he had no idea what it was.  It started in one leg and now has moved to both legs.
I too have just started experiencing the heat just above my right ankle (for about a week now) on the inside and on the upper inside of my right thigh and a few points in between.  It is indeed a very odd sensation the likes of which I've never had.  First time I too was driving and it was warm and I asked my wide why she had turned on the heater but it was not on.  Skin is not warm to the touch and there is no pain.  I am a type II diabetic and I know that foot problems can come with that but I've managed to get the blood sugar under control with meds and have never had anything like this before.  It's good to read it is probably just a nerve issue.  Since it started I get it numerous times everyday at random intervals.  The sensations last from a second or two to a minute or so and they are very distinct.  It does not burn but is quite warm.  Not bad in the winter.  Might get annoying this summer though.
I have been having the "extreme heat sensation" in my left leg for about a month now. Started in my stomach about 3 months ago, coming and going. But now just in my left calf. Very happy to see I am not the only one. I have been having night sweats and mood swings lately, maybe menopause is on its way. YUCK!  I will be checking back to see if anyone has any answers. Good luck to us all.
I too have been getting this heat sensation (radiating in my leg, primarily my shin area just below my knee and above my ankle; and sometimes on the side of my calf) and like many others noted, this feeling prompts me to touch it and it is never warm/hot to the touch, but feels substantially warm and seems to radiate from within.  I sit at a desk most of my workday (five days a week), I go to the gym occassionaly (not as much as I would like to or most likely need to) but I do walk part of my daily commute to work (I walk 4 blocks crosstown before catching train),  I am 43 years old and I have been taking 'Vitamin D(200IU) and Fish, Flax & Borage 1200mg/Omega 3-6-9, I have only been on these supplements for a couple of months and I do not take the Omega everyday, the vitamin I do try to take daily...because I worry of bone degeneration. The omega I take is to promote Heart Health, and to also mitigate premenapausal symptoms e.g. hot flashes, moodiness irritability ,I also have Evening Primrose which I do not take regularly or as regular as I do the Fish, Flax & Borage/1200mg Omega3-6-9.

I have a family history of diabetes but I always test negative, I quit smoking in 2002 and also "Juice" occassionally (extract juice from fresh fruits/vegetables).  At 43 (a "junior senior citizen" is what my mother calls this age range 45 - 59), Mobility means everything to me as I get older, the heat (not pain) that radiates down the front of my right leg makes me think it is an indication of future issues and I want to be PROACTIVE, rather than take a "reactive approach" to this.  This forum has definitely been informative, I like many other was surprised to see how many people experience this 'weird' sensation and how it is not just restricted to the legs (wow)!!
I to have recently experienced this while standing felt it in my left lower back. My guess is nerve related. Look at a dermatome chart. This explains how nerves in the spinal column relate to different areas of the body. So for example if a nerve is being pinched or impeded in someway in your spinal column you would get the sensation in a area of a corresponding dermatome. I have looked at the chart and it seems to correlate to the areas people have complained about feeling the phantom heat. I believe taking measures to relieve strain on the spine would improve symptoms. Posture, stretching, massage, manipulation, exercise, practice good body mechanics. Also keep in touch with how you are feeling emotionally at the time the heat strikes. Emotions are powerful and negative emotions then to tighten us emotionally and physically.  You will not find me rushing to a doctor on this one. I am not in the practice of giving people money to prescribe me medication run tests and then say well everything seems to be okay. I wouldn't worry about it.  I will mention it if it persists or if other symptoms come along. But at this point heat sensation without physical heat (which could mean inflammation) is not worrying me as much as interesting me. Well there is my 2 cents, take it or leave it.  
I also have been experiencing extreme heat in myn right leg --thigh and sometimes in my lower back.  I have visited mt Doc last week and they gave me meds for inflammation.  It helps at night--but in the morning--the heat gets intense again.  I took xrays and they show that there is a tip of athritis on my spine and pelvic so they suggested that I lose a few pounds because the weight can be pressing on the nerve which is causing inflammation.  This feeling is weird and discomforting---but there is no pain and no heat to touch--the heat is internal and is a funny feeling.  It never leaves me but sometimes it is bareable and other times uncomfortable.  Hope this helps!
Wow. I have been feeling these heat sesensations for a month now. Upper left leg. They last amout 4 to 6 seconds and recur 2 to 3 times within an hour. Has anybody got a diagnosis from a doctor yet.  What is it all about?
These are just caused by stress hormones in our body. They aren't anything serious. They happen to almost everyone at some time. If you feel stressed (mad/angry, fearful, etc.) your body secretes hormones that do different things--tighten muscles, dialate eyes, make you urinate or have a bowel movement, etc. But we usually don't act on our emotions, and the hormones dissapate in a bit. But if you worry about one of the reactions, then you've made a neural connection to it and every time you're stressed, that same thing will happen, which is why you keep having the warm feeling. Quit worrying about it and it will go away. Nothing to worry about. No diseases have that "symptom."
well i am very surprised how many people have this! i have it in my left thigh feels like someone is holding a heat pad on me for a few seconds. i'm booking in with doctor tomorrow. will let you know what he says
I began getting a strange warm/hot sensation in my left arm just over the inner aspect of my elbow where the arm bends. It comes in waves, maybe a few times an hour. It is not hot to the touch but mostly felt from inside. Very weird. Anyone have any insight?
Hi, I get the heat sensation in my bottom left foot.  I call it a 'hot flush in my foot', maybe menopause.  But you know what, it feels great because it warms my foot, especially being winter.  
There is no pain, just a warm wonderful feeling.  My friend said, there are no medical explanations being a nurse, could be a spiritual one!
In the last 2 weeks i've developed a rush of heat to the inside of my right leg can't really pinpoint what has caused it but i'm unsure if it's worth going to the doctor about, hoping it just clears itself up.
I too am on Diovan and am getting this heat sensation in my leg.
I have the same feeling in the bottom of my right foot mostly...It started like 6 months ago, I wonder if it is not our nervous system having some issues in communicating the proper feelings? That is frightening.
I'm shocked to find some many folks with EXACTLY the same symptom I'm having- like a heating pad on my thigh right above my left knee.  What have people found when they have gone to their Doctors? I'm 41,  extremely healthy,  and I'm a nutritionist who eats exceedingly well and exercises regularly.

Thanks!
I just started this feeling about two weeks ago and the heart beating fast for no apparret reason. At my previous job I sat for a long period of time, I resenlty lost my job but I walk more than I did before. Im not sure if that has something to do with it but i am very concerned. I have been more active maybe it just causing the blood to flow. I hope this does not last very long. How long has it last for anyone?
Actually the problem of feeling heat in human lower legs , can cause from euric acid level high. First check your blood to find out the euric acid level is in the limt or reaching to maximum limit.

After getting results of blood test and consultaion with Dr, start taking medicines for Euric problem, or may be causes are from some cancer cells develop[ment or its treatment.

Where did you get this info from??
I AM ALSO getting heat sensations in the back of my upper-left thigh, ranging from the bottom of my buttock to halfway-up to the inner side of the same thigh. This has been happening for about 2 weeks now.  I have type 1 diabetes (insulin) and my blood sugar levels have been high at times since I am burnt-out on giving myself 4 injections per day, plus I like to eat. Also, I have noticed white foamy-bubbles in my urine (possibly from increased calcium intake). My last doc visit on Sept.1, 2011 (before this started since today is 10/15/11) lab tests showed that I have a kidney infection, plus my blood pressure was high at about 147/80-something. I just turned the BIG 5 - 0 about 5 weeks ago, and I also have many health problems including Hep C, lower-left back and neck injury after a construction incident left me almost worthless.  A scar was found on my heart about 3 years ago after suffering chest pains ever since i was in my early 20's or earlier (may have had a couple of slight heart-attacks over the years). When I asked the Tech what caused the scarring on my heart 3 years ago, he told me he does not know, but "they are seeing more and more of this lately." Also, my doc just put me on Fish Oil pills about the time i started getting the hot sensations in my thigh, because I have also been having daily calf and feet cramps for about 3+ weeks or so, plus she put me on magnesium and wanted me to take more calcium too. The cramps have not stopped completely, but have almost stopped since starting the Omega 3 fish oil, magnesium and calcium intake, BUT THE HEAT in my thigh NOW!! I have felt it while sitting, standing, lying-down, driving, etc, etc.  I'm glad i found this site thru Google search, BUT this is starting to make me wonder about my kidneys more.  I do sit at a desk lots, but I have done that for years with no probs, except for the occasional legs/buttocks "going-to-sleep" or becoming numb.  I haven't felt the heat all day until night and it lasts for about 3 - 10 secs and seems to occur more frequently at night or early morning before dawn. I Thank God that I was born with athleticism, and still feel energetic and ready-to-go even with all my health probs (knock-on-wood). But, I was starting to worry about this heat stuff on my thigh, and am bewildered that sooo many are having heat sensations that it is giving me goose-bumps right now....LOL  It is a PHENOMENON, that's 4 sure!!!
I just remembered that i also have COPD, from smoking for years like some idiot, plus I have a torn rotator-cuff at this moment, which I am due to have it looked at by an Ortho doc next week....HEAT still going thru my thigh....
I am 38 and over th past couple days I've had a strange heat sensation on both of my knees.  I've timed it and it occurs ever 30 - 45 minutes --its not painful and I wondered if I was premenopausal. It's what I would imagine a hot flash could be like. I am a university student sitting and lying down a lot reading, and I have undergone a tremendous stress lately leading up to mid-term exams, a presentation coming up, along with papers.  I'm noticing that some comments do mention stress here, and I wondering if this may be related.  I can't really tell by the post names what gender previous commenters are, and I'm wondering if that could be a factor or not :S
Here I thought I had some terrible undiagnosed heart condition!    Starting last night, I have been having this sensation of warm liquid being poured on my leg, just above my right knee.   It is not painful or really uncomfortable at all...only disconcerning as not only have I not ever had this before, I have never heard anyone talk about having a feeling like this until I found this funny forum.  : )
I too have been having this heat sensation in my lower left & right legs.
From reading the majority of these similar sensations I can only offer the following possible rationale.  Have any of you been taking any supplements, health products prior to the beginning of these symptoms? I ask this because I have recently been taking a health food which is high in Omega 3's & 6's. It is primarily a protein, detox seed food. I think the diabetes comment is interesting and I will look into that personally - let's hope that it is not a symptom, but suggest we each check this out to be on the safe side.
To all of you that have replied so far, can you please tell me whether you are still experiencing this or when you noticed it had stopped? I'm a 24 y/o female so am hoping it isn't something like menopause as some of you have suggested.

Did anyone ever find out what it was? The heat sensations have been going for around 2 weeks now and appear on the back of my right calf in the right/upper area.. driving me insane!
i m 33 years SAHM and for the past week i have been getting warm feelings on my left leg and somtimes on my right leg. this is scary to me.it feels like a warm-hot pad on my leg. If anyone knows more about this, please post, thanks
I have been having the same heat sensation in my right calf. Funny thing is...my husband has too, and so hasn't my sister in law at the same time Same area, 3 different people. She lives less than half a mile away. Now ALL of us can not be having the exact same problem with different diagnosis, that's just absurd. I do not know the answer, I just know it's odd and too coincidental, especially after reading all these comments from way back in 2006. I didn't think about it until my husband asked me if I'd ever had this heat anywhere on my body before and I said yes, on my right calf. The he said he has too, and then found she has too...and it happened in the same time period for about a week or so then just stopped. Heat just trickling over an area of the calf for a few minutes then going away. Doctors can't tell us exactly what's going on, they haven't so far. Sis in law went and they can't find anything wrong. Keep looking for the answer.
The majority of the posts with this heat radiating seem to be with thigh, knee, calf, ankle and/or feet that lasts a few seconds and leaves.  
For the past several months, I frequently awake in the night with a heat radiating in my mid to lower back just slightly left of centre.  There is no pain, no sweating, no apparent other symptoms ... just a small hockey puck size area of heat radiating from that area.  It can last up to half an hour and then dissipates, may recur in the same night or not again until the following night of a few nights later.  It occasionally occurs in the late evening when I'm relaxing on the couch as well but never seems to occur during the daytime. Sometimes several days between occurences.  
Some nights when this doesn't occur I wake up soaking wet with sweat as if a fever just broke yet I have/had no fever. I am post menopausal for over 10 years now and certainly know the difference between a hot flash and either of the above symptoms. Not at all the same.
Am going to the chiropractor later this week and am going to ask him about possible causes.  Some of the early posts mentioned a relation to nerves which often are related to and/or affected by skeletal alignment. Hormonal imbalance was another interesting possibility as was Kidney infection especially since the location of mine is almost directly above the left kidney. Will be making a Dr. appt. after seeing the chiropractor and will post their responses.
So, has anyone actually received a medical explanation for this occurance?  I am 25 yr female, having right lower leg warm sensation that travels down my shin area to my ankle and foot.  Usually lasts about 5-6 seconds.  It feels nice, no pain.  I travel all the time, flying weekly.  I also have varicose veins, just small vein reticular, and have been treated for it. It happends sometimes while sitting or standing at random times.  The only think I can think of is that this is some symptomatic for varicose veins, that would make sense to me, but I am no doctor.
I started having the hot flash at 6:30 this morning in my left calf.  It lasts for two seconds and comes every 30 minutes or so.  This has never happened to me in my life and I am 37.  I had an Endoscopy (scope down throat for heartburn issues) yesterday and I was put under general anesthetic. I had no problems whatsoever. When the doctor's office that performed the procedure called around 9:30 this morning to follow up, I mentioned the hot flash.  They said they would call my G.I. to let them know.  I received a call from my G.I.'s nurse within five minutes and she asked that I come into the office immediately.  Long story short...I went, he saw me and couldn't tell me what it was.  I asked about a blood clot, but he said since I had zero pain that it couldn't be a clot.  He asked if I worked out which I said yes and he went on how it could be from that.  Well, I have been working out for 20 years and this has never happened.  I feel it has something to do with the procedure yesterday, but I am not 100% sure.  I called my primary care physician to get his opinion, but have not heard back from him yet and it is 6:30 p.m.  If the hot flash continues tonight, I am going to call back tomorrow.  I am wondering if an ultra sound might show something????  I don't know.  I just know, like everyone else, it's so weird.  
This is sooo strange, the exact same sensation has been happening to me for the last couple of days! It's on my right leg on the thigh part just above the knee on the underside. Once again, no pain, no heat on the surface it just feels internal and comes and goes and doesn't last long each time. So glad I found this page!
hello Lady life ; I have been having the same heat sensation in my right calf.....do you know something about it .....me  like you don't have any insurance and can't afford to go to the doctor at the moment .......do you know something about this weird condition????
If you can share something if you know something I will appreciate the info.
thanks and God bless you.........Hope is nothing serious.
take care
(I'm scare)
Strangely, I googled this today as for the last two weeks I have a heat sensation in my right calf muscle. Like others, I look down to see if something near me is radiating heat. Nothing. Then I touch it, no heat? Not sure what it is. I see my doctor for a check up next week, will ask about it.  Crazy, I know how you all feel...from my non-expert opinion, possibly a nerve issue.

Same story here. Started a few days ago, warm sensation, not painful, lasts a few minutes, upper left thigh. I'm male, 68, in good health.  Very strange!
Same thing here.  Started about 2 weeks ago on my right outer calf.   I am 41 and in good health.  I recently started that "Insanity" workout about 5 weeks ago. It's a very intense cardio and plyometric workout.  I'm wondering if it's related to lactic acid build up in my leg. I am right footed.
I too have had strange heat feelings on my thigh, as though warm liquid was spilt on me.  I recently stopped taking my birth control pills - could it be related to the rebalancing of hormones going on in my body?
I'm 25, not overweight but could do with doing more exercise.
Dr. Oz spoke of this the other day on TV. Ironically I have this same issue.
Check out Dr. Oz's website for info.
I too have heat sensation in my leg from upper thigh to my calf. However I have pinched nerve.

Internal medicine doctor did all the blood test including thyroid test, B12 level, sugar, cholesterol etc and prescribed me muscle relaxant and anti-inflammatory but I did not fill the medicine. I don’t feel I need the medicine after speaking to neurologist.

My neurologist did MRI and EMG found out there is minor pinched nerve and advised to continue physical therapy with my chiropractor who referred me to neurologist.

My chiropractor advised the same in regards to therapy and said no medication is needed since I have no pain.

I am concerned because all three doctors did not provide a clear answer why this heat sensation I m feeling 24/7 for last 4 weeks and what is the straight forward treatment to it.

Same with me - a warm heat in the laft outter calf, not change in surface temp...  last night when it happened the first time I was standing cooking at the stove, and I had to check if the oven was left on high, the warmth was so pronounced... and just in the last 30 minutes it is back while I was sitting in the car and again sitting at the computer its comes and goes in waves ... I am being treated for thyroidsis and I need a dose reduction as I was hypo thyroid and am now hyperthyroid....  I seem to have both Graves and Hashimotos. up down from hyper with the hot flushes, anxiety and heart palps, through to hypo with the cold, brain fog and sluggishness.
I prefer the hyper to the hypo lol
I have been having the same feeling in my right  leg back mid thigh. I work 12 hr shifts and that's when mine sets in. Only happens 2x week and once when I was sitting. Weird really.
I too have this heat sensation. Mine is on the back of my left leg, calf and thigh.  It feels like some of you have described, warm water on my leg, sunlight on my leg, etc.

I do have Diabetes type II, diagnosed about two years ago and back problems from a motorcycle accident, over ten years ago, and have slight pains in my toes and feet.

I too sit at a computer for 12 hour shifts.

I am 45 years old, 6' and 200 lbs, give or take a couple pounds.

I am not on any medications for the diabetes, as I can control it with diet (but I have been lax of late).

I do see a chiropractor for the back pain which provides me with relief most of the time.  There are rare occasions when I feel the adjustment creates a pain but mostly, it helps.  It is also through my Chiro that I had the best diet relief for my diabetes and that was while on the UltraLite program.  

The heat down my leg started about a week ago and honestly, I was quite freaked out.  I've had and still have, times when I feel kind of a numbness or soreness down my left arm and that symptom really got me looking into heart disease and heart attack info.

I feel that I definitely need to get back on the diet program and add exercise to it.

I will update as I progress....
Question to all of you.Have any of you been taking statin meds like zocor etc?  I started zocor and loestrin wich is birth control ( Dr. prescribed to control ovarian cysts) I had only been taking both of these for less than a week and sudenly started getting the strange intense warm sensation on side of right calf.  A couple days later is has spread to back of thigh also.  Last about 5-10 seconds.  Also it feels like any pressure at all on the back of thigh like when sitting causes a strange numbness and not pain but soreness down the back of my thigh into back of calf. I called the Dr. office they said stop both meds that statin drugs are known to cause muscle issues in leg but that the warm sensation sounds unusual but the zocor could still be a possibilty.  I havent taken either med for five days and still having the warm surges through leg, mostly in the right calf where it stared. Like everyone else not hot to touch and no swelling or lumps. Ankle feels slightly sore sometimes. I am calling the Dr on Mon to let them know I am still having symptoms and will post outcome.  It is indeed a frightening sensation.  I am 35 and a mother of two and it has me scared to death
Is not seeing a doctor a male thing?  After reading all these post with almost every stating relief that others have heat in their legs, few posters are offering any real insight that can be gained from speaking to a doctor or doing some basic research.  Everyone can Google male menopause or hot flashes in legs.  The most frequent explanations are food issues like consuming MSG, testosterone or other hormone decline, or a neurological issue.  You can rule out food by tracking your diet for a few days to rule out food concerns and discuss hormonal deficiencies and neurological issues with your doctor.  The worst case for this unexpected condition is an undiagnosed tumor affecting your organs and nervous system.  Older men are more susceptible to hormone changes.  I'm a 62 year old who is extraordinarily healthy but plan to talk to the many doctors I know. Good luck everyone.
I do have the same sensation of heat on the back of my right tigh, after discussing it with my doctor he told me is because i spend 8-12 hours sitting at work,and the nerve on my leg was getting extra pressure,  he recommended me to change my chair and try to get up and walk a little every 20 min or so.I hope this will work. Other than that I have no health problems or nor Im taking any meds
Recently my legs been getting hot underneath the skin in my left calf, it's really weird and happens as often as every half an hour. I'm only 14, but I thought I'd search it because I'm paranoid, and I was just wondering who it might be, it's only been happening for about a week and I've never felt it before but it's always in the exact same spot
Thank you....the only answer in the thread!
Am having little small hot feeling in my two legs foot and i don't no maybe it much walking,any one with this experience .  
Mine started 4 days ago, sitting on a very cold porch, and all of a sudden, a heater went on by the outside of my right ankle, lasted a few seconds, happened every couple of minutes. Now its starting in my upper thigh and racing down the outside of my leg.  My thigh seems to be numb when it happens and I am having some restlessness in the same leg, but that could be because I'm aware of it and I have been a little worried about what is causing it. Nerve issue was my second thought, and as with others blood clot my first, and I am glad to read that its not a blood clot. I'm coming on 50, overweight and a light smoker, so lots to worry about there. New year, new life! I am going to chat with my doc about it, but since I can't seem to find anything but this chat session about this issue, I think I will stop worrying about it for now. Thanks everyone!
It is so creepy to me, under my left leg has been having this same heat sensation which occurs every hour. Any advise, I hate going to the docs..
My hot, flush "wave" as I would probably describe it, seemed to begin about a month ago which coincided with a reduction in my prednisone meds.  In my left thigh, in exactly the same sport when it comes, last only a few seconds, but it is strong enough that you couldn't miss it.  No pain or discomfort, I don't think the skin is hot to the touch, so my observations are very consistent with those in this thread.

Going to the doctor for my yearly checkup, if I hear anything of substance, i will report back.

Nick,
As with all others, I have a similar situation.
I cannot believe that medication is involved but might be contributory. I take NO medications at all at 71 and have had this condition for about three years.

I also have an appt to look into this, in part, & will get back to compare my thing with your thing in 10 days or so. Why do I get the feeling that I'm going to get a dull stare & shrug of the shoulders?
You have come up with as agood an explanation as anyone else.
Next time you meet with those beings, let them know that their experiment works & it's time for another with new subjects. You in particular. :)
i have the same feeling in my upper right  calf , just below the knee. It does not radiate to the ankle. the area is not red, swollen or painful. It just started out of nowhere and I'd say about every hour or so I get the sensation. No pain, just an odd feeling of warmth. So you say the doctors found nothing wrong. I am amazed. hmm!
I have this warm sensation in my right leg. its good too see iam not alone. iam trying to fine out whats going on with my leg. iam not in pain but I know that's not what should be going on with my leg.i do not like the feeling.
Thank you for this info.  I have been having a warm sensation go down the outside of my left thigh.  On and off.  I do have hypothyroidism and take meds. My numbers are always fine.  I am pre-diabetic but stay away from sugar. My numbers have been fine.  Should I get this checked?  Could it be a clot?
Margaret
I also have the heat in my front thigh, sometimes on both legs , mostly in bed  at night and warm to touch,, but rest of body is normal or cold/cool.
I don't drive, I don't have diabeties, my levels are normal,
I do however have bad circulation, particularly in my left leg, although with raynaurds this is common for all extremities, but seems worse with my left side for some reason,  but I also have bad veins. and some muscular problems due to an injury, and sometimes the heart flutters,
I think its bad circulation and inflammation related in my case, I don't know if this is of help to anyone else
I had this a few years ago in my left calf area and I went to the doctor and he sent me out for an ultra sound to rule out a clot.  No clot.  It went away for a few years but it's come back.  When it started again it was in the same place, left calf area.  However, in the last month it has moved to my upper leg, left hamstring area.  It is completely strange.  It feels like I am literally peeing myself with a rush of warm water on my leg.  It lasts for less than 2 seconds.  I am sitting at my desk now and it is coming on every 15 - 30 seconds.  But it happens when I'm standing and walking also, just not as frequent as when I'm sitting.  My doctor said it is a nerve issue brought on my years of skiing, rugby and football.
I'm very interested in your comment about this.  Can you direct me as to How to harness the energy?
I too have this 'hot patch' on my left calf. I've also recently had my anxiety come back with aveangeance and so always thinking the worst. After reading these posts I'm wondering if its the anxiety? I take 100 mg sertraline now. And janumet tablets for diabetes type II with reasonable control. Any new ideas?
Recently I have had the warming sensation on my right leg lower quadrant outside mid shin area, prior to that I have had numbness n the bottom of my foot. I was working on a crawl space about 2 months ago , turned and felt a pain in my middle back near the spine right side.
1. Pinched nerve in back,
2. Numbness of feet,
3. Now warming and occasional itch right leg shin muscle area.
The middle back pain lasted for 3weeks after that subsided I felt the numbing
I just get tired of going to "Doc in the box" and hearing I should go see a specialist only to be told nothing can be done its the aging process at 47 I figure some of that to be true but, not these specific issues.
I did buy new boots and that has helped a bit with the numbing in feet but the warming sensation is a little bit disconcerting. As well as the whole body itch at times, although probably just dry skin and not enough water.
I to also had this on my right leg but i was in alot of pain  it was about a few inchs below my knee. a few months ago my doctor thought it was a blood clot so he did an ultrasound only nothing showed up now there is a hot sensation feeling..... :(
Stumbled over this blog when trying to find out what was going on with me.  In June of this year I had massive blood clotting in my right leg and pulmonary emboli (many blood clots in all lobes of lungs).  Am suppose to be dead.  I am on an anticoagulant.  Right after I started getting hot flashes all over my body, off and on, no pain. It has gone and now I get hot flashes in my left mid thigh, that lasts a few seconds and comes and goes.  I did notice tonight for the first time sitting with my legs elevated that there was some light pain in the same area.  It scared me thinking this was more clotting, Dr. said I could not tolerate another episode.  I am diabetic, just put on fish oil and high blood pressure meds.  After reading the comments I think mine is due to a pinched nerve.  It was just a coincidence that it started after the blood clots and PE.  I agree now I don't think it is something serious.  When I had the episode, I had strong pain from ankle to groin, and stopped right away, noticed funny bruise under knee, went to church and had strong shortness of breathe and fluttering in heart.  Had 2 non blocking clots in thigh and from just above knee to all the way to ankle everything was completely blocked.  Also one broke loose from somewhere else and went to lungs.  I am glad that I'm not alone with this funny feeling but like I said I think it is a nerve being irritated.  Will check with doctor.  Had lots of tests and nothing has shown up so good luck everyone.
I have been having a hot flash on the outside of my left calf over the last few days. Always in the same place. No pain or visible marks just the 5 to 10 sec sensation.
I had same sensation warm feeling on shin left leg some times on calf .I went to dr he checked me out and said it wasn't a clot as it would have pain and be more constant not come and go. Then checked my pulse and circulation said it was good if it were a circulation probl.the my pulse would be weak or not at all and foot would be cold .i asked him about nerve he said doubtful because of no pain. Said everything serious was ruled out could be a minor injury minor nerve being agitated  not to worry about it.it should go away. But to return if any pain swelling etc... Otherwise it was nothing serious. Hope this helps some of you.if you are concerned go to dr just to rule out anything serious and to have peace of mind.
I have this too.. upper thigh and radiating from uterus. Gave birth 6 weeks ago with an epidural. Feel it especially when sitting and bending forwards, i don't take any meds but am overweight, wearing new shoes and sleeping in awkward positions so think its nerve related. Will ask dr soon, as may still be at risk for clots but no pain..
thankyou for the information everyone, I tend to agree with the comment from "some answers" about stress hormones . I have been having this feeling of hot wet like feelings on and off for about 1 year. I do get it when I'm more stressed and when I think about it , I can actually make it happen. I have been to doctors and chiropractors with not help.  
Once again, a typical 'vague' reply from a doctor, why reply at all?! I haven't been to a doctor in 28 yrs and this is why...they take all kinds of tests and still come up with nothing, so 'thanks' for nothing.
My experiences with this sensation are that it feels like someone pours warm water over my thigh. Not hot and there is no pain. Just feels so real that I brush my trousers to wipe away the "water". Travels about 4 inches down front of middle thigh. Standing or sitting it occurs with no pattern. Only started over the past week.
I too have this feeling. I had pain for a few months and had that checked but now that the pain is one I am getting this weird warm sensation on the back right hand side of my left calf. It's like someone is touching me with a heat pad. It only lasts like 30 seconds and is only warm on the inside not to the touch on the outside. I have also been experiencing the heart palpitations