Strange feeling of heat in my leg
For the last few days I've been getting a very strange sensation in my right leg, between the back of my knee and the top of my calf. It's a feeling of heat which lasts for a few seconds.  This happens about 2 or 3 times an hour. It's not painful, it just feels weird. My leg is not hot to the touch, it's a kind of internal heat (quite hard to describe!). I have a desk-based job but I do get up and move around regularly. Also a couple of times in the last few days I've had a kind of breathless feeling and can feel my heart beating very quickly. This also lasts just a couple of seconds. I don't know if the 2 things are related.  Can anyone shed any light on this please!
Thanks for your comments, actually today I haven't had the sensation at all yet, and I'm not at work today.  So I'm starting to think it might be my office chair, although I've been using the same chair for 9 months so it seems strange it's only just started happening.  I will see what happens when I go back into work on Monday!  I've already got a doctor's appointment lined up for something else so I'll mention it when I go.
Try elevating your feet on a foot stool or something while you work. You may just be putting pressure on a vein in the back of your knee or something.
Thanks, I think it's definitely my office chair, I didn't have the feeling all weekend and this morning I've swapped chairs and it hasn't happened yet so fingers crossed!
How many people have this problem???  I just posted about the same thing (6/11/06) and then scrolled down to find 2 other posts dealing with this exact same issue.  I just want to say I feel much better hearing that it is probably just related to how we are sitting at our desks and not anything more serious (that's what the other responses said too).  

PHEW!  But in any case I have a doctor's appointment and will post a follow-up after I hear what he has to say.
I have this heat start in my thigh and shoot to my lower leg.  only on my left side,  Its very wierd and I would love to know what it means. also
nonunu
Wow this has been interesting.  I have heat flushes alot everday in my left shin and it is kind of creepy.  From what I have read there seems to be no relation to clot symptoms as this is what I feared coming up to flying overseas.  I did come across this website http://carefirst.staywellsolutionsonline.com/Library/AsktheExpert/Bone/72,ATD070905  which for me has made alot of sense due to reoccuring injuries in my left leg.  It sounds by everyone's postings regarding these weird sensations that the symptoms and causes are quite individual and which suggest diagnosis will also be individual rather than one collective diagnosis.  Good luck everyone.
I am having the same sensation-just started yesterday, but has been consistently happening at least 2x per hour.  It is a heat sensation on the back of my upper/inner left thigh.  Very strange....glad to see others having the same thing.
I too have been having "heat" in an area above the inside of my right ankle - several times/day for the last month.  There is no swelling and when I feel the heat sensation, I don't feel that heat with my hand.  There seems to be no difference the the amount whether sitting, standing or lying down.  Of course, I worry about blood clots.
I also have the same heat sensation down my leg.  I am beginning to worry.  Has anyone spoke with a doctor and ruled out anything serious?
I get a 'hot flash' in my left calf area several times an hr- even when I'm not at home-  very weird-  my calf isnt hot to the touch-

If anyone has any ideas... let me know
When there is a problem with a nerve it can cause several types of sensations, one of them being the sensation of heat. Sitting in a chair whose seat pan is too shallow can cause problems like this. (I know cause I use to sell office furniture). You might try seeing if your chair has an adjustable seat pan. The seat will actually slide in and out. Just try all the levers. If not, get a new chair.
The sensation that you all discribe can be as simple as your sitting position, but it should then resolve after walking around.
If it is a blood clot, it typically hurts like a son of a gun.
The weird hot sensation can also be a nerve that is not functioning.
All in all, always better to have it checked out by a MD.  Better look a litlle foolish than to deal with worse consequences.
Good Luck
Daysie
I just started having these heat sensations on my left leg (just below the knee on the calf on the outside of the leg).  It's very unusual.  It's so distinct, that I first started looking for a heat source when it occurred because it is never associated with pain.  It just feels like somebody is holding something very warm to my leg or that there is hot air blowing there.

I'll change out my chair to see if that helps.

Thanks,

M. Clark
I have the EXACT same sensation, in the area just below my left (outside) ankle bone.  No pain, no actual physical heat, just the sensation of heat under the skin.  Makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one, and it sounds like a nerve/sitting issue - let me know if anyone here has been diagnosed in any way that we would have to worry about it - thanks!

WB
I was in a T-bone accident which caused a lot of nerve and mussle damage to my left leg and back about 3 mnths ago.  I developed a rash on my leg all around shortly after also still hot to touch. Is this from the nerve damage because I am now getting another rash behind my left arm. It is not painful to touch but I did have abdominal pain, heart racing, headache. My physio therapist thought it may be shingles???
I had 3 dopplers (all came back ok) different times due to swelling in left leg and then the right leg. Didn't think this car accident could cause so much of a domino effect. Can Naproxin cause swelling/pain and rash I had taken it for 3 mnths?  Not to sure what to think with so many issues. Really to many to mention.  Thank you.
Hi. I have been having warmth surges in my right foot about every 20 minutes or once an hour.  It doesn't matter if I am standing or lying down on a bed they just come.  There is no pain, actually the warmth feels good.  The foot doesn't look any different either. The surge lasts about 2 seconds.  I am concerned this could be a circulatory problem in my heart or a leg vein.  Eventhough my health is fine otherwise, I believe this reoccuring symptom could be serious-any suggestions? Thanks
I have the same sensation of heat in my right hip joint in the back. It is so weird...It also happens very often - I am glad to see that other people experience that as well. I might go see a doctor for that. I am actively doing yoga maybe it's because of that but I will also try to change my office chair to see if it will help.
I feel better seeing that others have this too.  THere is no pain, but on the same calf, dozens of times a day.  It feels like someone poured hot water over my leg, and then it's gone.  Nothing looks weird ont he outside of my leg.  I am a SAHM of three, so I am never sitting for too long, I excersice daily, eat healthy, slightly overweight, have not been in an accident....this has been going on for two weeks, yet I feel silly going to a dr about it.  Thought I would check out the web, and I find this, however, no one has a cure or a reason huh?
I have a similar issue everyone here has posted... a heat sensation behind my right knee and lower thigh.  Happened about 2 weeks ago, seems to happen a couple times and hour, but more so when sitting.  No pain, no swelling, no redness.  I went to the chiropracter because I thought it was lower back/nerve related.  He cracked and aligned me but no help.

I would love if someone could help figure out what's going on.
I think there's quite a lot of us with the same sensation out there. I get the heat sensation at the back of my thigh from time to time. It was wierdest when I was swimming in a cold pool (I had goose bumps) but this hot sensation on my thigh! I am sat a desk for periods of time at work though and positioning seems to be the key here. Mind you whilst in the car on 31st I had this extreme heat on the my pelvis and front legs, as if the car blowers were on, but they weren't & it was really cold, so i can't quite work that one out, but it lasted about 10mins and actually was very welcome given how cold we were feeling!