UNDIAGNOSED SYMPTOMS
COMMUNITY
Sulphuric/ Eggy burps and stomach cramps
by lilsavage, Apr 25, 2006
I found the above  topic last night at this same forum, though its dated 6 yrs back and I couldnt find anything more recent as I was searching for an answer to my own problem of the foulest burps that ever existed, then comes the diarhea and finally the vomitting. For me this can last up to two or three days. I was so relieved to find that other people have and are experiencing these same symptoms. Though im worried that no one has found and answer, maybe they have, as I said, the only forum I found for this is on this web site and its 6 yrs old. Im hoping someone has some new answer to this same problem. Its dibilitating when it happens, hard to go to work while im busy crapping and puking myself to half to death. Again, the burps are the absolute worst, those alone taste so bad its enough to make me sick and the sulphuric smell is just awful. Really its like im farting out my mouth. Hopefully after 6 yrs someone has some kind of real answer to this problem.

Thk you.
Member Comments (211)
by hyepod, Apr 28, 2006
Yes, I've had this lovely condition for over 20 years.  I thought I was the only one.  The foul, sulfuric rotten egg/bad red wine burps and flatulence (and diarrhea) are mortifying.  I  have studied the entire human body (in my profession), and have close friendships with several internists.  However, I have no health insurance.  Based on what I've studied and have been told, the most likely culprits are gastroparesis (very slow emptying of the stomach) OR gall bladder disease.  It is true that when your stomach retains its food load an excessively long time, the contents can somewhat "ferment."  I also have been told that bile typically tastes sulfuric.  So, I am no closer to reaching a conclusion.  Keep in mind, though, that fatty, rich, or even spicy foods can irritate conditions such as gastroparesis and gall bladder.  You simply may have to avoid these foods, and avoid eating massive amounts of food at one sitting.  There also are medications that help reduce the likelihood of spasm of the stomach's outlet.  Of course, you may require gallbladder ultrasound, etc.
by RegidG, Nov 24, 2007
Hydrogen sulfide is what smells like rotten eggs. While I have only smelled that smell once and don't remember it, I do have the "egg burps" and have gotten sick that way.

The last time I did, it stayed with me, so that I nearly swore off of chicken, since it started after I ate some slightly uncooked chicken I didn't know was slightly uncooked until I got further in. I'm guessing that it was salmonella, but perhaps not such a bad strain.

The term of illness was intermittent and came with some nausea, but I never vomited. (I do have a strong constitution.) Again, I guess salmonellosis, though I can't prove it. Salmonella is a hydrogen sulfide producer, though.

Regi dG
A Microbiology student
by bustr, Dec 11, 2007
Gastroparesis! Apparently it is not profitable enough to warrant more research.
by rb934, Jan 12, 2008
not a cause of cancer  smell of rotten eggs
by rb934, Jan 12, 2008
by KTChitown, Jan 13, 2008
I'm sure at this point (2 years later) you may not even have the same email address, but I wanted to chime in here.  I had very similar symptoms. I was prescribed zantac for years, until a doctor finally figured out I have Celiac Disease. Obviously not saying that you have it, but once I cut out gluten from my diet (that caused all of the villi in my small intestine to lie flat), I immediately stopped having any symptoms. Worth a quick blood test to find out if you might be a candidate.
by muleteam, Jan 22, 2008
My husband has been suffering for 9 years (off and on) with these same rotten egg burps, stomach pain, diarrhea, then vomitting  and no one has really been able to help him.  The interesting thing is that about a year ago, my son (ten yrs old) and I joined him and are having the same symptoms except that I don't vomit.  Our other younger children often have diarrhea but no other symptoms, so I don't know if it is related or something completely different.  In discovering that we are not alone in this, I find hope that we may have answers.  My husband is at the Doctor's office now discussing this repeated illness.  Thank you all for your experiences and theories.  We will see what we can find.  If anyone knows more, I'd love to hear it.  THANK YOU!
by sufferingfromproblem, Jan 27, 2008
I'm so glad I found this website!  I'm 36 years old and I've been suffering from the following for almost 8 years now:  eggy/sulfuric burps (Hydrogen sulfide), the nastiest burps you could ever have, adbominal pain (always follows after I've started burping), vomiting and diarrhea (the vomiting and diarrhea are not always the same in intensity).

The doctors are stumped.  We have tried Acid-Reflux medication (which I have also), then tried some other things and nothing worked.  This sickness keeps coming back and back and back again.  The most recent discussion from my doctor was to try: Metoclopramide and Dicylomine.  The Dicyclomine has helped rear back some of the pain, but it hasn't helped stop the main source of the problem.  At least I'm not ending up in the Emergency room, which I normally end up at.  

One of you said "Based on what I've studied and have been told, the most likely culprits are Gastroparesis (very slow emptying of the stomach).  Stomach retains its food load an excessively long time, the contents can somewhat "ferment."  I've haven't hear of this yet, but I'll check into this.  I'm just glad finally to see other people suffering from this thing.  I'm going to try to lose some weight and try to stop eating a lot at one time, which I do.  Eating 'chicken' and or 'spicy foods' seems to not be good!

PS:  Do any of you vomit yellowish substance, and does it smell really bad?