Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Yellow patches on hands and nails

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Yellow patches on hands and nails

I have just noticed these yellow patches occuring on my hands. They are on the outside of my palm and between my joints, and also on my thumb nail. What is it? I dont know of anything that would turn them this color. I have tried to wash it off but it dosent help.

From your description it is difficult to see what this could be. However, allergies, fungal infections, eczema and callosities are some of the things that come to my mind immediately.

All of these are different clinical entities and therefore may need different analysis and diagnosis. Therefore, it is important that you may write back to us and tell in further details about this condition.

The involvement and discoloration of the nail indicates a fungal infection, while the involvement of the edges of the palms indicates a callosity at the site.

At this time, you may try to keep the hands clean and moisturized at all the time. You may also use hand sanitizers to prevent any infection from spreading to other areas of the body.

Please write back with more details and any other queries that you may have.

Best regards

How are you?
There is a possibility that these yellow patches are due to reynauds disease. It is a vascular disorder in which blood flow to the extremities are affected. Extremities become pale yellow and purple.
Please discuss this option with your doctor as an exact diagnosis can be made only on clinical examination. Take care!
Thanks. I don't really know how to decribe it.. It went away after occuring for 2 days. On my thumb though it is still partially yellow. It is only around the egde of my nail and under the nail. It looks quite a bit like a fungal infection. Only the callused parts of my hands still keep the yellowish tinge.

It is great that the lesion has decreased since. However, i would still like you to get a diagnosis, such that you are aware of what had happened to your hand.

I am also concerned that this may even be some kind of dye which may have caused the development of this discoloration.

Keep me posted and let me knnow if I may be of any help