Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
passing out while on the toilet

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

passing out while on the toilet

My husband has had one of these episodes three to four times. three of the times he has had a bad stomache ache and went to the bathroom and while sitting on the toilet he would start to feel like he was going to pass out and next thing he would wake up on the floor or in the bath tub.   any thoughts on what we might checkout?
Check his sugar level,blood pressure,and he should have CBC to check his Hb level and total lipid profile..If everything is fine then he have to have doppler on his carotids..
definitely go to the doctor for a work-up.  Any time you lose conciousness it is important to look into fully.  There is a mechanism called the valsalva maneuver that lowers heart rate when downward pressure is applied as in taking a bowel movement that could potentially decrease blood flow to the brain long enough to cause fainting.  However, I would certainly take my husband to the doctor for a full work-up.  
ur hubby hv IBS. consult gastroenterologist.
This has nothing whatsoever to do with his sugar level.

It has to do with the stimulation of the vagus nerve, which runs in the vicinity of the anal sphincter. When the vagus nerve is irritated it lowers the heart rate. This, in turn lowers the blood pressure and the person passes out. It is the reason many cardiac arrests are found on the toilet.

The "black-out" usually takes place when there is a co-factor. Generally a cardiac problem or low blood pressure.

Your husband's life is in danger, and he needs to be evaluated at a hospital as of yesterday and undergo a cardiac evaluation. This is not a "minor issue".

You don't need "thoughts" from an internet forum.

You need to have your husband in a hospital. As of yesterday.  And that should have taken place the first time he blacked out. You should have called 911.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
I agree with Caregiver that passing out on toilet seat can be a strong vasovagal reflex. The complex group of symptoms are mediated by the vagus nerve. This nerve is irritated by prolonged standing, standing up suddenly, stress, pain, hunger, dehydration, intense emotion etc.  A tilt table test, holter monitor, echocardiogram etc are done for confirmed diagnosis. Discuss this with your doctor and get this evaluated as soon as possible.
Your husband  should avoid going to toilet empty stomach in morning as this potentiates the effect of this reflex.
Hope this helps. Take care!