Is sterilization/hysterectomy required?
My OB diagnosed me with a prolapsed bladder after hearing my symptoms and doing a full examination.  He would like to repair the prolapse with surgery but told me since I am still of childbearing age (36) that I would require either a hysterectomy or a tubal/coterization of my uterus to ensure I wouldn't get pregnant again as having subsequent pregnancy would cause ireparable damage to my bladder after having this surgery.  I've been searching and haven't found any information regarding pregnancy after having bladder prolapse repaired.  Can you help?  I have 3 children but we haven't decided we are done don't want to be sterilized if it isn't necessary.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
I would get a second opinion.

From what I’ve been reading a hysterectomy isn’t required for repair of a cystocele (prolapsed bladder) if the uterus isn’t prolapsed. Even if the uterus is slightly prolapsed there are surgeries available to suspend the uterus.

The literature I’ve found recommends pessary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pessary) usage if you still want to have more children or are unsure since there’s a chance a pregnancy will cause the bladder to prolapsed again. Don’t go into surgery until you’re sure it’s right for you at this time in your.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.