Urology Community
Bedwetting (Adult)

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Bedwetting (Adult)

I am a 22 year old man with occasional bed-wetting episodes. I have been mostly dry at night since I was a young child. When my father died when I was 17, I started having wetting accidents several times a week. After a year I was back to only have an accident a few times a year. I have seen a common thread that all my wedding incidents have been during very stressful times of life. I believe it is stress induced, as I have been very healthy. I have had urine tests during physical exams, and nothing has been medically wrong.

I am getting married in June, and will have a very high workload (work, school, wedding planning) leading up to that. I am afraid of having an embarrassing incident when I am traveling or visiting people, or when sleeping with my wife. I hate waking up in wet sheets, and am embarrassed about the mess.

Help! How do I to cope with this?

This discussion is related to Intermittent Adult Bedwetting.
Thanks for writing to the forum!

Needless to say, this is an uncommon problem in adults. I fully empathize with you and ask you to seek medical help immediately from your doctor.

The reasons could be stress, functionally small bladder, diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus, urinary bladder wall instability, UTI, stones and neurological problems. If it is stress related then yoga, meditation and counseling will help. In your case it started with a very painful loss at a very tender age. So chances are high it is due to stress.

I think you should discuss this with your doctor. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. You will need to undergo a few tests to reach a diagnosis. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

hi i have ben wetting the bed for a week now. I am a 50 year old woman and this has never happened before. I have had some pain in the bottom of my stomach for about a month now. could this be related? the wetting is bad because I empty my whole badder. I went out today and bought depends. Can anyone give me some advice?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
As you must have read in my earlier posts to bravo, there are many causes for adult onset bed wetting. With lower abdomen pain it could be cystitis. A urine examination is a must. Consult an urologist. Limit your water intake at least 4 hours before bedtime. Empty your bladder before going to bed. Set an alarm for two hours after. Again get up to urinate. This should take care of your problem to some extent. Consult an urologist at the earliest.  
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

I am a healthy 55 year old female who has been dreaming of going to the bathroom and then waking up to find that I have wet the bed.  I never had a problem up until a few years ago when it happened once, then a year later twice, and now it's been every 11-12 weeks.  I am absolutely sick to death about this. I have been to my internist, a urologist, my gynocologist, a neurologist and even had a sleep study done.  They all scratch their heads and say they can't find anything wrong with me.  Well, obviously something is VERY wrong. The shame and humiliation is beyond words. I am so afraid to travel and visit anyone in their homes because God forbid it should happen there. And now it is becoming more frequent.  What is wrong with me???  How can I get to the bottom of this???   Where do I go next???
Just had this happen last night. OMG!!! I'm 50, pre-menopausal, never ever had this problem even as a child. I clearly remember dreaming of having an insanely full bladder and that I peed like a race horse [as they say] with great relief, and was amazed how much my bladder could hold. That was all in my dream. Then I somehow had a glimpse of consciousness and woke up fully to realize I had started to 'go'.  Eeeek!
48 yr old male. Been sleeping on the couch for about 5 months since the wife wants separation and divorce. About 4-5 times I woke up just after starting. Changed underwear, go to the bathroom, all good. Last week it was really cold because a window was opened,  a ceiling fan was running and I had no blanket.  I emptied my whole bladder. Woke up shivering. Clothes soaking wet. The couch smelled like pee for two days. Everyone just assumed the dog pee'd on the carpet somewhere.
This morning woke up at 5:58 am. pee'd on the underwear. Use the bathroom, empty bladder, remove underwear, go back to sleep.
Two hours later it happened again!!
What is wrong with me?!?!?