Urology Community
Blood in urin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Blood in urin

2 years ago I was going to have my prostate removed because of a cancer problem and with the new procedures available. A doctor I was going to use stuck a camera up my penis and later that day I had to go to the emergency room because I could not urinate. They stuck a catheter in to releve the problem and ever since I've had to use a catheter to urinate. I did not have my prostate removed. I had a problem some 7 years a doctor found out from a biopsy I had cancer in one area of the prostate.  He prescribed Flomax which helping my urinating problem. I've been watchful waiting with no problems until the event two years ago with another doctor. Even Flomax won't work anymore only a catheter will. My problem is recently I've been having blood and some kind of blood clot looking things come out with the urine thru the catheter. Most times I have regular looking urine but a few times a week now I have bloody urine with the clots. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Is it my putting the catheter up my penis several times a day causing this. I use a lubricating jelly on the catheter. Would something like a mini-turp open up the problem of urinating?  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
This is likely happening due to the urethral injury. I’ll strongly advice you to avoid putting the catheter yourself as it can significantly damage the inner lining of the urethra and later on also lead to the development of urethral stricture. The catheter needs to be properly lubricated before insertion. Please do consult a urologist for the same without delay.
I sincerely hope that helps. Please do keep me posted. Take care.
I use a regular catheter (not the blow up water type) and insert it several times a day when I have to urinate. I do put lubricating jelly on it before insertion. I do have a catheter that I can insert water into while in place. If I use this one for several days do you think should there be any problem in removing it after a week or two? Maybe my bleeding problem might stop.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
The blood could definitely be due to repeated injury or even due to infection. However since you have a history of cancer, it would be wise to go back to your doctor once and rule out the possibility of bladder cancer, which too can result in blood clots in urine. Even other wise repeated injury to urethra is not good. I would sincerely advice you to consult your urologist ASAP.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!