Urology Expert Forum
Cloudy Urine Still

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Cloudy Urine Still

I'm a 33 woman.  Two weeks ago I had an bladder infection from ecoli bacteria.  My urine was cloudy with some blood and painful.  I also had pain in my lower back. I was given 3 days of apo-sulfatrim ds/800/160. My infection cleared up and the back pain stopped.  Eleven days later I had another infection this with a lot of blood and very painful, I couldn't sit or stand without burning.  I am now on my 9th day of 10 with Norfloxacin 400mg 2 x day.  Drinking lots of fluids, cranberry juice & 500 mg of Vit.C each day.  I am concerned  because I still feel irritated enough to urinate even when there isn't much. My urine doesn't smell but it is very cloudy with a fair amount of larger flake type particles that settle.  Do you think it could be that my bladder and urthera are still healing but irritable & I am passing sloughed off cells from the infection?  Or, could I still have this bladder infection even while I am on this anitbiotic?  Thank you for your time.
One thing I would find out is the culture sensitivity.  What this means is finding out of the bacteria causing the infection is sensitive or resistant to the antibiotics you were given.  If the bacteria is resistant, then the infection isn't appropriately treated.  In this case, then it is possible to have the infection while on antibiotics.

I would also consider a kidney ultrasound to ensure there hasn't been any anatomical damage to the kidneys.

If the urine continues to be cloudy - I would re-analyze the urine for infection via urinalysis, and consider a more extended course of antibiotics.  A urology referral may be considered for further evaluation.

As for your question - the way to determine what cells is in the urine would be via a urinalyis.  It is possible that epithelial cells (sloughed cells) may be present.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0
0
0