Urology Expert Forum
Cystitis Cystica and Squamous Metaplasia

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

I have recently been diagnosed with early cystitis cystica and squamous metaplasta. The urologist explained it to me as being the result of an ongoing untreated urinary tract infection. I have taken antibiotics for about 2 months and the last test that she did showed that the infection has cleared up. Main reason why it was never treated is because I never really had any serious symptoms, except for a faint pain in my bladder every now
and then. This was earlier incorrectly diagnosed as endimetriosis.

I have bought some Combur-Test sticks to test my urine at home for any possible new infections because of the lack of clear symptoms and those tests show that there are Leucocytes and blood in my urine. I went back to the GP and her tests didn't show any.

I am really confused now. Because of my positive results and the faint pain that I am still experiencing every now and then.

I have read a lot about cystitis and want to know the following:

1. Should I worry about my stick test results? Wouldn't I always have blood in my urine because of this condition? I have seen somewhere on the Net that the bladder wall is bleeding sometimes if you have this condition.
2. Is it something that can be cured if I prevent/treat any further UTI's?
3. Is it something that will grow worse over time? What are the long term effects?

Thank you

To answer your questions:

1) The home urine tests may not be as accurate as a formal urinalysis.  If there is question about the results, you may want to obtain a urinalysis to confirm any diagnosis.

There is no certainty that there will be blood in the urine due to the cystitis cystica.

A cystoscopy should be considered to evaluate the bladder wall.

2) If there are chronic UTIs, then prophylactic antibiotics can be considered for treatment.

3) This condition is normally benign, and are associated with inflammation.  However, I would still obtain the cystoscopy to exclude more serious conditions.

These questions can be discussed with your personal urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
0
0
0
0