UROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Help!!! Chronic testicle, groin, lower back pain!! :'(
by JohnnyLee, Apr 20, 2012
I'm a 20 year old male suffering!!!

It's very difficult to describe my symptoms because they always change.  But basically, my right testicle has this very uncomfortable feeling to it.  It isn't a pain but like an achy, dull feeling to it.  It’s like a constant reminder that something is there and out of the norm. When I physically touch it, it isn't painful except for the bottom part of it where I assume is where the epididymis and testicle connect.  It's a very unbearable discomfort since it's chronic and unmanageable.  However, I do have actual pain in my right groin.  After doing my own research, I would call this my spermatic cord or my inguinal canal.  The pain is usually dull but I do have some sudden sharp pains that quickly come and go.  The other main source of discomfort is my lower right back on my pelvis area right above the buttocks.  It feels like this ache that I need to constantly massage to make it feel better.  I feel little rubbery nodules when I do massage this area.  I also feel a tender spot on my actual lower spine.

These symptoms are chronic/persistent.  However, periodically I get the same feeling on my left testicle/groin/lower back.  When it happens on my left side, it doesn't last a very long time.  But there is times when both testicles ache for almost a whole day.

Occasionally, this discomfort/pain radiates down my right butt cheek or down into my thigh or the tendons right above my knee.  When it radiates into these areas, it's only for a short period of time.  However, this referred pain never happens on the left side. Recently, I also began having some discomfort in my perineum area as well but I don’t know if this is related.

This problem first started when I was 18 years old.  During this time, I was checked for STD's and given ultrasounds of my scrotum and kidneys.  I didn't have any STD's nor kidney stones.  But the scrotum ultrasound only diagnosed me for Vericocele.  The Urologist I saw at this time told me it wasn't a big deal and prescribed Naproxen.  I didn't find that any NSAID's helped me.  However, the discomfort ended up suppressing itself for the next two years to a point where I could do my daily activities and not worry about it.

Two years later, or about three months ago, the discomfort came back much worse and persistant.  I went to see my doctor, where after a negative urinalysis; I was given Doxycycline for Epidytimitis.  Didn't help.  I was then told it was Prostatitis.  After having my prostate checked for normal results, I was still put on Levaquin and Flomax just in case.  Didn't help.  I then got a CT scan on my pelvis area where everything came back normal except for scattered lymph nodes in the retroperitoneum and the mesentery that were ignored because they didn’t meet CT criteria for enlarged lymph nodes.

Then I was told it could be my genitofemoral nerve, which runs from my back to my scrotum along my groin.  I was then placed on anti-inflammatory steroid tablets, methylprednisolone.  Up to this point, it was VERY difficult for me to roll out of my bed to do my daily tasks as if it was a simple headache.  After taking the methylpredisolone, I felt as if God was giving me a break. This medication has been the only thing that has helped.  It didn't completely go away but it got to a point where I was no longer climbing up the walls in misery.

After telling my doctor about this, he wanted to send me to a Neurologist to get a steroid shot in my spine since taking oral steroids can't be a long term solution.  However, before being referred, the neurologist suggested to make sure it wasn't a hernia.  So then I was then sent to a general surgeon where he said it wasn't a hernia and that I should get a second opinion from an Urologist.  So then I go to the Urologist where after a negative physical exam on my scrotum, I was told he couldn't help me, but a visit to a Neurologist was his recommendation.   Along with his recommendation, he also believed that it can't be my genitofermal nerve since the location of this nerve is too high and deep compared to the area of discomfort in my lower back.   He also said he would think it's a bulging disc in my spine if the pain is bilateral.  But since the discomfort is chronic on my right side and periodic on my left, I don't know if this would be considered bilateral.

Besides everything else mentioned above, I also tried visiting a chiropractor and trying acupuncture.  After a few visits to both with little to no improvements, I stopped going because I couldn’t keep affording it, especially when I wasn’t seeing improvements.   Now since all arrows are pointing to a Neurologist, I got my referral to see one.
At my initial appointment, I was given a few physical exams and was sent to get an MRI on my lower back region where results were normal.  I found this as a bitter/sweet feeling since my hunt still continued. After following up with the Neurologist, he ordered a second MRI, this time on my pelvis, which also came back normal.
I have hit a dead end and I no longer know what to do. Can anybody help me???? :(

Every time I see a new doctor, I try to have hope that I will find a solution to my agony.  But after being turned down so many times and having so many possible diagnostic solutions fail, I have a fear that I'm going to just have to life with this.  I’m always simply told to take NSAID’s which don’t even touch the problem.  Regardless if I’m laying down, sitting, or standing up, it’s STILL there. Neither sneezing nor coughing tends to make it worse.  Urinating and ejaculation is normal and painless. I can’t find any sorts of trends with this. Sleeping has become very difficult.  I also have feelings of emotional distress, anger, and tension build up since I feel so helpless.

I'm 20 years old and this pain has pretty much taken over my life. I’m now on anti-depressants to stop all the negative thinking that's caused by this (unseen cancer, chronic pain that won't ever be cured or diagnosed). I really wouldn't want to go to an extreme of getting an orchiectomy but I really can't live like this for the rest of my life.
Member Comments (64)
by Norm9, Apr 20, 2012
Sounds a lot like my case but earlier in life. I put up with pain for a long time before I found a compassionate and well schooled urologist who diagnosed varicoceles on both sides. At my age of forty five we decided removal of both testicles and HRT was the best option.

The above is not meant to scare you. With HRT  I was still sexually capable, just guaranteed sterile. I never wanted to father children so that suited me just fine.

Most doctors are loathe to mess with a guy's 'manhood'. I went through a lot of them before finding the capable/competent doctor. I've been comfortable ever since. Able to do a full day's work, and enjoy life in general.
by JohnnyLee, Apr 21, 2012
Losing a testicle or two at 20 years old definitely scares me!! But I've also thought about how this could be my only solution. I would be worried that my discomfort isn't coming from my testicle, but rather my lower back or my groin.
by sharpeagle, May 12, 2012
Johnny, have you observed anything strange with your semen? Maybe the color, its consistency, or some brown/yellow jelly-like clumps (bigger or lot more than before)?
by JohnnyLee, May 16, 2012
Thank you for responding to my post! Truly means a lot to me.

As far as I know my semen is fine. No sorts of clumps and it looks white to me.

Since I posted this, I have received a steroid shot on my buttocks which didn't help. I am currently going to physical therapy. I have only gone twice but I have seen no results.

I'm also on my second week of Lyrica, which hasn't done anything. Ultracet gives me little relief. Enough to give me the mental strength to roll out of bed.

I stopped taking the anti-depressants because I hate the way I feel with them. I feel more suicidal while I'm on them. I really hate this :(
by deeznutz419, Jun 29, 2012
Same thing plz call 3307743302
by deeznutz419, Jun 29, 2012
Same thing plz call 3307743302
by deeznutz419, Jun 29, 2012
Been to urologist twice, had ct scan, ultrasound, 2 rpunds antibiotics, steroids, pain goes where it wants from inner grpin to tops of yestis , to rt side lower back. I  was totally jealthy and this hit me out of the blue and is not going away. Actually am starting to get lump on top of right guy, almond size and sometimes it gets smaller, same on rt with varicocele. Starting to thinl tumor in kidney but ct scan should have shown?  Ready to die in my sleep. I hate waking up like this every day and havent been able to work due to pain, not sure what to do but have had it with doctors not helping at all and tajing my money. Plz let me know what you find because I have done a lot of research and yours is xactly like mine. This is so debilitating and painful , I feel you dude, this *****, I need some answers please, anybody! Help
by phil230, Jun 29, 2012
I have this chronic testicle pain for over 12 years. This pain goes up to my left lower back and down to my left testicle on regular basis along with chronic burning pain when passing urine. My testicles have been shrunken in size and lots of viens around my testicles. It's been given me great concern and affecting my entire life. However I still have great sex with my patner. The worst nightmare is that Doctors said I don't have a single sperm in my semen after series of sperm analysis. And this has got me crazy as I still want to have kids, this I have told my wife as I don't know how she will react as she want to have baby too. It worries me a great deal. I have been to two different Urologist and different things were diagnosed and treated with antibiotics but no improvement. Among the diagnosis were Varicocele which I have done the surgical operation twice, prostatitis and std which I have treated with antibiotics. All these have been treated but I still did not get any result.
by deeznutz419, Jun 30, 2012
Check out gui zhi fu ling wan, I came accross the other day and otdered it. Apparently chinese medical report showed that 80% in study were cured of varicocele and increased sperm. U ll have to research but $10 bottle for 60 and hve to take7a day....i haven t been able to sleep all night cuz of pain .  I  honestly cannot stand this..mentally n physically..it s ridiculous and I am a tough guy it s just the pain above buttock side of hip groin n testicles is crazy..i am thinking pinched pudendal and hip needs realliganed at chiro