Urology Community
How can you tell which organ is exposed when pelvic floor prolapse occu...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Font Size:
Blank Blank

How can you tell which organ is exposed when pelvic floor prolapse occurs?

I noticed two weeks ago Pelvic Floor Prolapse occurred. I am a 49 year old female. I am currently totally disgusted by this event. I am very uncomfortable. I scheduled an appointment with the GYN Physician I see for 4 weeks from now and am scheduled to see an Urologist next week. I also experience many bladder control problems.

The MA at my GYN's office said this problem might have to be taken care of by either of three types of physicians,
a GYN, an Urologist, or a GYN-Urologist Specialist.

Do the organs that are now exposed determine which physician you see?
Is there a way to determine which organs are exposed? What do the organs in this location look like when they have dropped out of place?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
When the organs have dropped they push against either the rectum (in which case you may see a protrusion in the rectal area) or the vagina.  My bladder was pushing against my vagina and sticking out.  My GYN assisted but the surgery was done by a urologist.\

Actually what you see is the vagina or rectum.  Picture something pushing against it and turning it inside out so it protrudes.

Don't worry, see whichever doctor you prefer and he/she will advise you as to which doctor will do the surgery.  I didn't have incontinence prior to the surgery or after so I was lucky in that respect.  Good Luck!
The pelvic organ prolapse is usually of one of the following types. It could be prolapse of the rectum into the vaginal wall. In this, a bulge is visible during the bowel movements. This called rectocele. Another is cystocele, in which the bladder prolapses into the vagina. In this, the patient usually presents with urinary symptoms of stress incontinence. Another is uterine prolapse, in which the ligaments holding the uterus become weakened and the uterus prolapses. The last one is the vaginal vault prolapse, in which the vagina prolapses downwards and usually a part of small intestine pushes the vagina downwards. This usually occurs in patients who have undergone hysterectomy. You can consult a gynecologist or a urologist for the same. However, the best is when both operate as a team. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
Thank you for your information and help. I really appreciate it. Since I posted my information and question on September 2nd, I have seen an Urologist and a GYN Physician. I learned I have level 2 prolapse with Bladder, Rectrum and Uterus.
I am scheduled for surgery at the end of October. My GYN preferes to do the surgery himself. He has a very good reputation and is sought after as a GYN. He explained all in's and out's and how he will proceed. I am scheduled to see the Urologist in a follow-up in 2 weeks. I am still pondering whether it will be good to address having him present during surgery in case the GYN might need him. Any thoughts.....
Post a Comment
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Urology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
TMJ/TMJ The Connection Between Teet...
Jan 27 by Hamidreza Nassery , DMD, FICOI, FAGDBlank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
Top Urology Answerers
United Kingdom