Is the antibiotic working?
I have been on an antibiotic for a uti for 6 days now but I am still having pelvic pain and urinary frequency. How long until I get relief?
I apologize that I don't have the answer.  But I was wondering how long do you have to stay on the antibiotics?  I have a 10 course of taking two pills a day.  I think I have had the UTI for a couple of months but didn't know it.  I was wondering why I have to be on antibiotics for so long.

Relief from the infection is apparent within 24-48 hours after starting antibiotic treatment. If you have not been finding any improvement in your condition after being on antibiotics for over 6 days, it is possible that the infective organism is resistant to the antibiotic you are on. In this case the treatment becomes ineffective.

You will need to have a culture sensitivity of the organism done and start a course of antibiotics to which the bacteria is sensitive.

It would also be good if you can let us know which bacteria was identified in your test and the current antibiotics you are on.

Ensure that you keep your fluid intake over 2000 ml per day and avoid irritants, such as caffeine, alcohol, and spicy foods. Also add citrus fruits and juices to your diet.

If you do indulge in intercourse during the period of treatment, ensure that you practise safe sex (condoms) so as to not infect or be infected by your partner.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
The C&S report showed e.coli and it is sensitive to the antibiotic I'm on (bactrim Ds for 10 days) I got better initially but seem to have hit a stand still with regards to the pelvic discomfort, the frequency seems better so far today. I have a regular scheduled appt with my GYN tomorrow, I will ask him to dipstick my urine for wbc's and protein and hopefully get reassurance that the discomfort is just simply a uti. Dr., Thank you for responding.

E.coli are normal bacteria that are present in the GI tract normally, but cause infections in other parts of the body. You will need to maintain hygiene as the infection is probably due to contact of the urethra with fecal matter.

Application of heat to your back and lower abdomen can relieve the pain of a UTI.

The more water you drink, the faster the bacteria will be flushed out of your system.

Bactrim DS has a wide spectrum of activity and will treat infections with other organisms as well, so there is no cause for worry here.

regards