Urology Community
Lump/Bump excision?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Lump/Bump excision?

I have a bump/lump on my penis shaft, and I would like to have it (surgically) removed. Do I have this option?

I had tied off some skin underneath my shaft with a nylon string, because I suspected it of being wart infected. This procedure took more than a month and it was very painful. I did this three times, because each time a lump was formed and to remove this lump I tied off and removed more skin. Now I have realized that this lump is either scar tissue, a wart, or a mixture of both. Because of this lump, which is not as elastic as the rest the skin on my shaft, my penis now curves to the left.  

I want to know if I can have this lump surgically removed.

I have uploaded pictures in my profile.

I tried to keep my post as brief as possible, but I can provide more information if it is needed.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
From the symptoms it looks like a cyst or a wart. For both, surgical treatment is the best option. Other treatment options include electrical cautery, surgical removal, Carbon dioxide laser treatment and electrodesiccation.

In my opinion you should talk to a cosmetologist/dermatologist about this and get it evaluated.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I already saw a Dermatologist, and he referred me to a Plastic Surgeon, who in-turn has referred me to a Urologist. My appointment is in February.

What had happened was that I suspected the skin under my shaft of being a wart infection, so I saw a urologist. I was not sexually active at the time so he dismissed it saying that it could not have been a wart infection but he had a biopsy done. The biopsy revealed that it was indeed a type of viral (condoyloma) infection.  

At this point, the Urologist refused to prescribe topical genital wart medication, he thought I had lied to him about being sexually active and he referred me to a Dermatologist. The Dermatologist did a visual examination and told me that if I did not have sex, then I cannot have a wart infection. According to him, the lab technicians that confirmed that the biopsy sample was condoyloma could have made an error. He told me that if it was not a "genital" wart, any type of topical wart creme would have not have any effect on it, and he also refused to prescribe any form of medication.

I did not believe him, and in my research I realized that the virus could in-fact be transferred from hand to genitals or through physical contact and not exclusively through sex. I also discovered that my father had (has) warts on his neck, and this could possible be the origin of the wart infection I had/have; perhaps through the use of the same towel.

Now, because two different doctors had refused (medication) to treat my condition, I panicked and decided to take matters into my own hand. I tied off the area I believed to be wart infected with a nylon string. The pain was excruciating and I suffered for at-least a month until the tied off skin was severed and fell off. Unfortunately, now I had a lump/bump instead of smaller bumps, and I repeated this procedure (of tying skin with a nylon string) three times, but the lump kept returning.

I visited the same Dermatologist (he did not remember me) again and he confirmed that I could have transferred the virus onto my penis shaft through hand or other means (physical contact). He referred me to a plastic surgeon, who informed me that the plastic surgery department does not perform procedures on the genitals/penis, and in-turn they referred me to the Urologist (a different one).

Unfortunately, the Urologist (that they referred me to, and the one I want to see) is out of the country so I have had to push my appointment back to February.

I have uploaded the pictures of the lump on my penis; it is in my profile. Can you please take a look at the pictures and tell me what my options are?

I would like to have the lump surgically removed, but is this possible or do I have to live with this wart infected lump on my penis for the rest of my life?
Bump!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If the biopsy report is showing it is a wart then it can be a HPV wart. It is not necessary that you have warts by sexual contact only. Even the common warts which effect tha hands etc can effect the skin of genitalia. For small warts that affect only the skin around the anus, several medications(like podophyllum resin, Podofilox (Condylox), Trichloroacetic and bichloroacetic acids, Imiquimod 5% cream and interferons) are available, which can be applied directly to the surface of the warts but they should always be done by a trained dermatologist.Other treatment options which I have mentioned earlier include electrical cautery, surgical removal, Carbon dioxide laser treatment and electrodesiccation.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.