UROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Pain after Inguinal Hernia Operation
by rph1981, Sep 08, 2007
Hello, I hope you can help me.In March 2007 I had an Inguinal Hernia repair operation on both sides after I had experienced bad groin pain for about six weeks. About three weeks after the surgery, I developed testicular pain in both left and right testicle with the left one swelling up dramatically. After going for a scan it was observed that I had a hydrocele on my left side. Six weeks after My original operation, I was hospitalised after I developed severe pain on the right side of my groin. The pain quickly spread to my scrotum and testes. Fearing that I had testicular torsion the urology team performed a procedure where they attached the testicles to my scrotum. They also repaired the hydrocele. They found no evidence of torsion. This was the first of my flare ups. These flare ups have continued to the present day (September 8th 2007) on an intermittent basis but almost always starting on right groin and radiating downwards. For several months it was believed I had epididymitis but despite numerous antibiotics being given, there was no change in my condition. I have had a CT scan which came up clear. Recently I have been prescribed Lyrica 75 gram. This is apparently the strongest painkiller that can be given and it has had no effect. No other painkiller has worked during a flare up. My pain management doctor has said I may need an operation if the situation persists. Have you ever come across a similar situation? I am a 26 year old male otherwise in quite good health. My problem has interfered greatly with the quality of life I have now. Thanks for your help
Member Comments (113)
by m&c, Sep 24, 2007
my husband also had a inguinal hernia repair on the left side and he suffered a bleed the size of his fist after draining he was fine and that was in dec 2005 now he is suffering from pain in the scrottum  area with severe pain abdominally no one has given him any kind of pain medicine and ther about to try another antibiotic. Any help with this would be apprciated. the surgeon doesn't seemed very  concerned and i am tired of every body treating this the same
by mrreno, Sep 26, 2007
9-26-07    Approx. 9 weeks ago I had inguinal hernia repair on the left side. It took me around 4 weeks till I was somewhat pain free. Then came horrible testicle pain, I mean unbearable, and it still persists. I went back to the surgeon and he sent me to a uroligist. It was a week before I could get in to see him so I went to the ER. They took blood, urine, and an ultrasound. I was diagnosed with prostitis, fluid on my testicles and varicose viens & prescribed atibodies & pain meds. (Did no good) The uroligist checked me out and said it was from the hernia repair surgery, more pain meds. I don't want no more pain meds - Just fix me!!!! The PAIN is bad, a dull pain on the right side in between my testicles and leg, bad pushing pain when I deficate and inscruciating pain in my testicles. I don't know where to go or what to do!!!!!
by mrreno, Sep 26, 2007
just wanted to correct my post - my inguinal hernia repair was on the right side.
by swift01, Jan 30, 2008
I am 57 years old and had a hernia operatin in my 20's. Now I am experiencing problems with retaining an erection and reaching climax. Are these related? Any suggestions? Is there something I could do or take to assist with this problem? Any help would be greatly appericated.
by fluffy42, Feb 10, 2008
My husband had a hernia operation around 5 years ago.  He also has had a hard time getting an erection and maintaining it for sexual intercourse.  What does he need to do.  He returned to the surgeon that preformed the operation and he said he could see nothing wrong bu since then that sergeon has left our town and moved to another state.  What can he do to cure this.
by Galosat, May 02, 2008
Just had inguinal hernia surgery on my right side about 4 weeks ago.
Everything was going fine and now I started having a lot of pain on the inside of my right leg and just a bit on my testicles.
by mogulbasher, May 23, 2008
Sounds like a lot of serious concerns and complaints from quite a few people. I just had inguinal hernia repair on the left side May 14 '08. So far the pain's not too bad. Mainly a sometimes burning feeling on upper left side of scotum. There's an abrasive feeling where my undies rub against legs. Probably doesn't help I ski alot so there's not much room in there. Went to Doc today in advance of my next scheduled visit just because I heard a horror story of a guy who had hernia surgery from the same hospital I went to. But he was getting sick and all a day after. I think I'm alright. Doc said that burning feeling is normal. I hope I don't have a future of testicular pain by the sound of some of these posts. mogulbasher.  
by cruzcalle, Aug 06, 2008
My husband had hernia surgery in Nov 07. After many tests, we finally had a ct scan and now it shows a THickening of his bladder. He has had pain going from the bladder to the 3 holes they did for the surgery. Numerous medications and nothing works. Has anyone had this. Now dr said rarely is it cancer. Scared now.