Urology Community
Pain after Inguinal Hernia Operation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Pain after Inguinal Hernia Operation

Hello, I hope you can help me.In March 2007 I had an Inguinal Hernia repair operation on both sides after I had experienced bad groin pain for about six weeks. About three weeks after the surgery, I developed testicular pain in both left and right testicle with the left one swelling up dramatically. After going for a scan it was observed that I had a hydrocele on my left side. Six weeks after My original operation, I was hospitalised after I developed severe pain on the right side of my groin. The pain quickly spread to my scrotum and testes. Fearing that I had testicular torsion the urology team performed a procedure where they attached the testicles to my scrotum. They also repaired the hydrocele. They found no evidence of torsion. This was the first of my flare ups. These flare ups have continued to the present day (September 8th 2007) on an intermittent basis but almost always starting on right groin and radiating downwards. For several months it was believed I had epididymitis but despite numerous antibiotics being given, there was no change in my condition. I have had a CT scan which came up clear. Recently I have been prescribed Lyrica 75 gram. This is apparently the strongest painkiller that can be given and it has had no effect. No other painkiller has worked during a flare up. My pain management doctor has said I may need an operation if the situation persists. Have you ever come across a similar situation? I am a 26 year old male otherwise in quite good health. My problem has interfered greatly with the quality of life I have now. Thanks for your help
my husband also had a inguinal hernia repair on the left side and he suffered a bleed the size of his fist after draining he was fine and that was in dec 2005 now he is suffering from pain in the scrottum  area with severe pain abdominally no one has given him any kind of pain medicine and ther about to try another antibiotic. Any help with this would be apprciated. the surgeon doesn't seemed very  concerned and i am tired of every body treating this the same
9-26-07    Approx. 9 weeks ago I had inguinal hernia repair on the left side. It took me around 4 weeks till I was somewhat pain free. Then came horrible testicle pain, I mean unbearable, and it still persists. I went back to the surgeon and he sent me to a uroligist. It was a week before I could get in to see him so I went to the ER. They took blood, urine, and an ultrasound. I was diagnosed with prostitis, fluid on my testicles and varicose viens & prescribed atibodies & pain meds. (Did no good) The uroligist checked me out and said it was from the hernia repair surgery, more pain meds. I don't want no more pain meds - Just fix me!!!! The PAIN is bad, a dull pain on the right side in between my testicles and leg, bad pushing pain when I deficate and inscruciating pain in my testicles. I don't know where to go or what to do!!!!!
just wanted to correct my post - my inguinal hernia repair was on the right side.
I am 57 years old and had a hernia operatin in my 20's. Now I am experiencing problems with retaining an erection and reaching climax. Are these related? Any suggestions? Is there something I could do or take to assist with this problem? Any help would be greatly appericated.
My husband had a hernia operation around 5 years ago.  He also has had a hard time getting an erection and maintaining it for sexual intercourse.  What does he need to do.  He returned to the surgeon that preformed the operation and he said he could see nothing wrong bu since then that sergeon has left our town and moved to another state.  What can he do to cure this.
Just had inguinal hernia surgery on my right side about 4 weeks ago.
Everything was going fine and now I started having a lot of pain on the inside of my right leg and just a bit on my testicles.
Sounds like a lot of serious concerns and complaints from quite a few people. I just had inguinal hernia repair on the left side May 14 '08. So far the pain's not too bad. Mainly a sometimes burning feeling on upper left side of scotum. There's an abrasive feeling where my undies rub against legs. Probably doesn't help I ski alot so there's not much room in there. Went to Doc today in advance of my next scheduled visit just because I heard a horror story of a guy who had hernia surgery from the same hospital I went to. But he was getting sick and all a day after. I think I'm alright. Doc said that burning feeling is normal. I hope I don't have a future of testicular pain by the sound of some of these posts. mogulbasher.  
My husband had hernia surgery in Nov 07. After many tests, we finally had a ct scan and now it shows a THickening of his bladder. He has had pain going from the bladder to the 3 holes they did for the surgery. Numerous medications and nothing works. Has anyone had this. Now dr said rarely is it cancer. Scared now.
i need help i also had hernia surgery in feb 2007 i had bi hernias and a stomach hernia  i have major pain in my testicles and leg my pain doctor put a nervr stimulator in and basicly it does not work. ive been lookig up stuff about my condition and i think it is gentifemoral nerve entrapment ive had it in for about 3 weeks and it does no good.my doctor wants to send me on my way without finding out the problem.it is so painful.can anyone help basicly he thinks im lying.i am a garbageman and i lift alot of heavy things.
Same exact problems. It seems as though there are SO MANY people out there with the EXACT same problem. Why can't doctors figure this out? This is the worst thing that has happened to me, and I can't enjoy life. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? The doctors said it could be a year before I stop hurting?
I had right inguinal hernia surgery about a week ago and now I find that when ever me and my wife have sex I can't finish because I develop severe pain at the base of my scrotum. Has any one else experienced this?
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S1072751503012079

Only thing i could find. Looks promising, maybe should ask your doctor.
Had surgery 3/1/10 to repair infected mesh put in 8 years ago.  Surgeon removed old mesh and replaced it with a "biological mesh".  I had fun reactions to the including fever over 100 for days and consistent draining out my incision, including today 8 day later.  A couple days after surgery my left testicle swelled up and 5 days later I started feeling pain on the left upper side of the testicle where all the connections run.  It is super swollen (7x bigger than right) and hard and almost too painful to stand up or sit.  Funny thing is, I have almost no pain lying down.  Going to see the doc today..hopefully he doesn't shrug me off.
mmm, I just found this page and I am pleased to see that I am not alone. What you people describe is EXACTLY what I have been experiencing after my own surgery. I was never told by my surgeon that this was a possible issue.
No one explained all the potential complications to me either.  The surgeon said there were complications that could occur, such as some bruising, swelling, and temporary pain but downplayed them and never explained that the severe testicle pain and swelling I now have could possibly occur.  I saw him today and he is ordering an ultrasound and sending me to a urologist, effectively washing his hands of the damage to my testicle.  He told me it could take a few months for the testicle swelling and pain to subside.  Did anyone out there who had this problem get a reasonable solution from a doctor or through any other means?  Does (a long) time really fix this?
Doctor killed my left testicle.  After seeing him twice and multiple phone calls after surgery, one of the partners in his practice gave me an order to get an Ultrasound, then said wait a couple weeks to see th urologist to see what happens.  Turns out it wasn't "testicle torsion" (twisting of testicle) but whatever it was it cut off the blood supply to my left testicle and now its dead.  Urologist said to leave it and my body will absorb after time.  DO NOT TRUST DOCTORS!  IF YOUR TESTICLE HURTS GET AN IMMEDIATE ULTRASOUND.  IT WILL DIE WITHIN 12 HOURS IF BLOOD SUPPLY IS CUT OFF.
HI HAD INQUINAL  HERNIA OPERATION FROM BOTH SIDE  ON 16 MARCH.MY PENIS AND TESTICLES ARE SWOLLEN BADLY JUST AFTER THE DAY OF OPERATION AND THIS IS  3 RD DAY NO IMPROVEMENT AT ALL.LUCKLY I DO NOT HAVE ANY PAIN.IS MY CASE SIMILAR TO YOURS SHOULD I WAIT OR GO TO DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY
THANKS
Go to doctor.  Swelling is normal for this operation but a simple ultrasound will confirm blood is flowing to the testicles - demand it if the swelling gets worse or you develop pain - takes all of 5 minutes at any clinic.  If the blood flow is lost to due the swelling pinching off the blood supply, then your testis can die in less than 24 hours, most likely in 6-12.
OK I do not feel so crazy now. I have had the same issues. I had double hernia issue after work accident, they would only repair one on the right side because it was the only one that swelled up. After this surgery in end 08 its been bothering something awful with pain in my testicles. Pain is goes from belly button to my right testicle and part of my penis on the right side. Sneezing, coughing and lifting set it off like a fire cracker and sex is pretty much no more because its hurts very much and all jokes aside that just ***** (sorry for the blunt words there). The doctor that did the surgery was offending I went back to him so he sent me to a pain management doctor and he tried injections directly at the site of the surgery. OMG do not allow them to try this I have had the most terrible time with urinating now. You know that feeling when you hold your urine in as long as you can them some maybe because of a car ride, or sleeping? that is what happens to me out of the blue now. Just that awful pain as if I held my urine long even though I haven't then trying to go is worse. So now I have the issues I already had and and now more along with it. I got a lawyer and I am fighting it. It keeps me from doing anything and I mean anything.
  Ever since I had a left inguinal hernia repaired about three years ago, I have had constant pain in my left testicle.  The sensations associated with ejaculation have never been the same since hernia surgery.  The feeling of my body's natural timing as I approach ejaculation has disappeared.  The ejaculate no longer shoots, it just sort of dribbles out, and the volume has decreased.  Sometimes the sensation of pain in the left testicle is heightened during erection and ejaculation.
  Since the hernia surgery I also have pain that radiates from the surgical area down the inside of my thigh to my knee. As with the left testicle, sometimes this pain is also more noticable during sexual activity.
  My general health is excellent.  I'm 28, normal bodyweight, athletic, don't smoke ,dont drink, and have never had a major illness,  but this problem with pain and performance is really getting me down.  I would do anything to have my body back the way it was before my hernia surgery.  Please help me, there has to be someone out there who can fix this.  Eric
I Had Lapriscopic Inguinal Hernia surgery With Mesh Stapled in August of 1997, I feel sorry for all of you in pain.  Here's my story: Doc told me I had a Inguinal Hernia, ok lets fix it, what a mess, after surgery right testical pain, groin pain very bad, could not stand up straight, was dragging right leg, stomach pain very bad.  He tried Motrin, ruined my stomach, wanted to cut nerves out, sent me to 2 other doctors, they wanted nothing to do with me.  I called Insurance company told them this so called doctor was going to kill me and I wanted to go to the University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Went UofU Had several doctors this is what they told me, They said I should have never had Lapriscopic Inguinal Hernia surgery, Just regular cut me open fix Hernia Surgery , because they had many problems with Lapriscopic Surgery.  They said the doctor had cut all the blood vessels to my right testical and nerves so it would have to be taken out and they took out my testical, I also Had Nerve Intrapment on my right side, that took another surgery and a left me with a 7 inch Scar.  The mesh had been stapled in wrong, went through 4 or 5 years Pain management, took every pain pill and nerve pill in the world, had a pollop develope on my vocal cords , another surgery becase they scratched it. Iam numb on my penis and right hip, can't feel ejaculation, can't tell when I urinate.  This has been going on for 13 years and the latest thing is they put me on Androgel for low testestorone, now it has made my blood to thick, got taken off it going to Bioidenticals for my testestrone.  This simple Surgery has ruined my life and they really don't care.
july 09 i had lap surgery for a inguinal surgery on the left side, the next day the swelling started few days later i was in the hospital with a infection they didnt know where it was coming from. thru out the next month or so i had nerve damage to the left leg. stomach pains and testical pains. then my left testical shrunk to the size of a raisen. urologist told me the blood flow was comprimised and it is perminate. after about 10 months of daily pains some small others unbearable i went to the ER 7 hours later i was in the surgery room having my left testical removed. it apperently has been dead for several months and was starting to decay.   now i will live with nerve pains, scrodom, stomach and who knows what else is to come in the future from the mesh inside me.
I am a lady that had three hernias repaired at the same time, and it has been over three weeks and I still have very sharp pain around my hip bone and below the belly button. I was wondering if it is common to have pain this long and also i can only move around for about an hour and then I am in pain that can almost meet the paint that was there the day after surgery. Anyone have three hernias fixed at same time? And is this normal. I am grateful that i have no testicles

I have had simmilar. In 2000 I had an emergency left scrotal orchiectomy due to a staph infection a year after a hematoma romovel after a vasectomy. The infection was bad enough to have me in intesive care and isolation. Due to the nature of the infection the scrotum was left open to heal from the inside out. I had to take sitz baths every 4 hours for about a month.

In 2006 I had a right inguinal incarcerated hernia repaired. The hernia repair healed much faster than the left orchiectomy.

Even now several years later I still get phantum pains as if the left testicle was still there. Most recently in September 2009 I had a abscess over top of my right hernia scar.
Currently, I'm still experience pain around the hernia scar as well as in the right testical at times. Left side gives me problems on and off.

I also have a neurological condition as well as a neurogenic bladder. For the neurvous sytem nerve pain I have been on Lyrica, but currently am back on Amitriptyline.

Lyrica did not help much to control pain. Due to nerve pain and pain from a rectum to prostate hernia, I have been using Statex Morphine tablets. 2 every 4 hours as needed.
The Morphine masks the pain but does not get rid of the pain completely.

I used to get Belladona suposetories but they are no longer available in Canada.

Ask your doctor about the Morphine or Percacet. For me the Morphine targets to pain more than the Percacets.

I hope that soemthing will work for you.

All the best.

Ron
I had surgery about 2 yrs ago. I am experiencing some of the same symtoms (symptoms). I think it depends on the Doc you get. Mine explained all the complications that goes along with it and to watch it on the lifting. Said it could be a long recovery if I don't take it easy. I have had a few relapses with the pain since I am a carpenter and lift heavy things from time to time. I now know my limits with lifting. No more than 30 lbs using my stomach mucsles. No problems with sex. Only thing is, I can't seem to get rid of the testicle pain on the right side. If I get the slightest bump in the nuts, I am out of it. But, all in all, I am doin fine. I have to keep moving or the idleness will put me down. I am not going to let this defeat me.
I don't know what to say to all the ones with the bad pain. I feel fortunate.
    I hope you find your answers. It's not fun living with pain.
My hernia repair was on the right side and it was inguinal. 6 months before that I had my appendics removed on the same side.
I had this done on the right side about 18 years ago. I still have the occasional pains and 'tweaks' from it. Some times near and below the scar when pants are too tight. Often right testicle feels 'like I need to move/reposition it' when sitting. A little adjustment helps. I really believe the blood flow was affected on that side. My right testicle was always the one that hung lower and seemed slightly bigger all my life. Every since I had the hernia on that side and it dropped down with the 'boys' it seems to have affected blood flow on the right side.

Having an office job and chained to a desk doesn't help. All this sitting!

Just letting you know for some of us it seems to be here for life!  
I also have had problems with my laparoscopic hernia repair (mesh) since Dec 2009 when it was done.  My left testicle is also enlarged and pain seems to come from the spermatic chord coming out of the left testicle.  My surgeon has told me that the mesh may have constricted to tight around the spermicidal chord and that has cause me to develop a hydrocele.  It is painful at times but I can live with the pain.  What I can't live with is a penis that has shrunk, problems getting and maintaining an erection, decrease sensitivity when I orgasm - I hardly enjoy an orgasm now and pain in the base of my scrotum when I do ejaculate. I've had a ultrasound and cat scan over the last couple of weeks and every test has come back negative except that I do have a hydrocele on my left testicle.  I've been back to my surgeon and I've been to two different urologist.  One of the urologist says that the mesh tightening around my spermatic chord is the most likely cause of my above symptoms. He has suggested that I see my surgeon for options to help with the above symptoms.    
On July 29th I received surgery for a direct right side inguinal hernia. The operation went great. Less than a week later I woke up in the middle of the night from a coughing fit from breathing in all this Iraq dust. In the process of this coughing I ended up blowing out my stitches so I had to go back in again because I was bleeding internally. The next day I was returning to work on a profile. Once that profile was close to being finished I went on a trip to see the Ziggurat and had to wear full gear. The doctor said it would be fine for me to go but I am afraid he was wrong. The trip was August 24th and since the day after the trip I have been having extremely bad testicular pain on the right side. I went back to the doctors a week ago and they just said that the surgery area tends to swell up and it is pinching the nerves and that is what is causing the lower back pain, testicular pain, and the constant numbness in the right leg. I know when something doesnt feel right about my body and to me this doesnt feel right. I need some advice because the Army has just pushed my case out the door and written it off as nothing. I am not trying to find a reason to go home from my combat tour in Iraq I am just looking for answers so that I can turn to the right people and get this fixed so I can finish my duty here. If you have any suggestions or comments then please by all means contact me at ***@****. The pain gets worse day by day so the sooner someone could help me the better. Thank you!!
i am a 34 year old female who had a right inguinal hernia op last friday, i have agonising pain in my hip and a burnig sensation around my scar and on the top of my leg when i try to walk around, my whole body aches, can anyone tell me should i go back to the doctors
ahhhh i had a right inguinal hernia repaired 3 days ago and you guys are scaring the hell out of me, my right testicle is swollen slightly and its sore but its really not that excruciating im a 21 year old male and now im really really nervous about what is to come of me, i have a little swelling around where the incision was made and i havent tried ejaculating yet, so far i have trouble urinating it happens but i feel a pain going down the shaft of my penis before i urinate than i urinate a little stream and i was constipated but i did number 2 today,with the help of stool softeners please just i dont want to be affected by this the rest of my life is anyone ok after this hernia operation?? anyone??
Hey man,

I just had surgery to repair a left inguinal hernia last wednesday. I am doing pretty good. Have been sore but each day gets better. I can now walk pretty well and only have trouble sitting on hard surfaces for a long time. I do have a little left testicular pain and soreness that comes usually at night time. It has gotten better through the night and by the end of the next day after being up all day it tends to get sore again. I was constipated from the pain meds but just stopped them two days ago and have gone to the bathroom fine. I am heading back to the doctor Thursday the 30th and will ask him about the testicular pain. I will let you know what he says.
I have been suffering from inguinal hernia surgery pain for 7 weeks, and i have been calling the doctor a lot and this has rouned my life, i am in medical school and i had to withdraw from it becasue i couldnt focus from all the pain.  I understand that everybody has some kind of problems just like me.  I feel pain in both of my testies, and sometimes the pain travels from one side to the other.  Sometimes the pain goes into my abdomin (abdomen).  What I have been trying so far for the pain was some stretching exercises to get the nerves that may be blocked out of their position to sort of free them.  The other method is to keep a positive attitude so that you come to a complete recovery.  This sugery does put you in a depressive state which it did to me, so try to bring your self out of it, and try to focus on feeling better.
Hi, I currently have been experiencing discomfort in my right remaining testicle.
After the hernia repair, I have had the problem that the testicle now is situated high in the scrotum.
At times it seems like the testicle is compressed resulting in pain. The testicle no longer seems to move freely in the scrotum. When I am cold the testicle retracts high up towards the inguinal canal.
I'm afraid to seek medical help due to the fact that I may loose the remaining testicle as a complication following or during surgery.
With the discomfort that I feel at times, I would like to have something done about it. Having only one remaining testicle, I don't realy want to take the risk. As it is when cold it looks as if I have no testicles at all.
Not sure what to do about this, any advise is welcome.

Sincerly.

Ron
Wow, there are a lot of people with this same pain.  I had a direct inguinal hernia mesh repair in 1994.  Because of also having hip dyplasia I assumed the pain was coming from my hip.  Even after getting a hip replacement I still had the same pinching, burning pain in my left groin.  Not until it swelled up and landed me in the ER was I told it was a meshoma from the hernia surgery.  I am, "not a good candidate" due to all of my other scar tissue in the area.  It looks as though many of us are told that we're not good candidates, is anyone?
Has anyone had success fixing this?  Any suggestions?

Kathy
Boy, I hate to hear that last post.
I have some current problems with a fistula that needs to be repaired. If I read the surgical procedure right there is an abdominal approach as well as a perineal approach to get good access to the fistula.
I'm just wondering as to whether the mesh hernia repair is going to pose a problem with this. I have had the darn thing for 3 years now and like to get things over with. It can't be left as is since it will cause infections. I'm not sure if I have any other choices.

Anyone who has had surgery in the same region after a hernia repair, please let me know what to expect?

I have had other surgeries on previous surgery areas, scars and things turned out OK. I'm not sure about the perineal and gential (genital) region as there are a lot of nerves involved. Will this cause numbness in that area? What would be involved to gain abdomial (abdominal) access with the mesh in palce? Is this going to be a weak area that will cause problems later?

Any suggestions or suggestions are welcome.

Sincerely,

RR
On Jan 5, 2009, I had a surgery for an inugural hernia. When i got out of surgery i noticed that the left testicle was further into my body, like half in the sack and half inside. the doc said that it should go back down so i trusted him, they also told me that the pain from the surgery should go away within 2 to 3 months. during those 2 to 3 months occasionally the left testicle wound move up and in along the left groin muscle causing an excruciating crushing pain, and id had to dig it out or wait which means having to not stand or move from the pain. its been occuring rarely for the past 2 yrs. but there is a bump right on my waistline from where the doc anchored the mesh to my left pelvic bone, bumping into it just slightly enough causes pain to the area. and working out by doin crunches or running, walking, lifting, shoveling huge snow makes a huge pain, like i had just had the surgery. i am now 21 and in some fear of ever goin back to the doctors for a second surgery. especially after reading all of these. i dont like living with this pain, ive become depressed and basically everyday, life is ***** from this. please from anyone with advice im sick of the pain i dont like living this way i want to feel the same as i did before i had gotten the hernia 8 yrs 3 months 5 days ago.
i got the hernia when i was like 13 yrs old and i dont get how ive had how many physicals now out of the blue i needed a physical for college and and told the doc my left testicle fills up with something and had gotten up to massive in size. then i got the sugery and here i am.

ChrisJ
You have an entraped nerve from the hernia surgery.  Some doctors will go ahead and remove this nerve at the time of surgery to avoid this complication.

Your pain specialist is lying to you.  He could have you on an extended release narcotic.  Lyrica is a nerve drug not a pain killer.  And it DEFINATELY isn't the "strongest" pain killer out there.  Find another pain specialist.

And yes, you will eventually have to have the nerve removed and the hernia repair done again.

I am not a doctor but a young internet guru and have read lots of websites.
its been 8 weeks since i had 3 hernia repairs, 2 inguinal and 1 umbilical. my right testicle is still swollen and i have pain on my incisions that radiates to my testes and hip. is this normal, the surgeon says everything is normal but im in worse pain now that before when i had the hernias.  
I would get a second opinion from another surgeon or a urologist.  The swollen testicle 8 weeks later suggests spermatic cord damage.  The radiating pain suggest nerve entrapment or damage.  Seek other Doctors.  Please let me know how it goes by leaving me e message.
My finacee had the surgery on 11/27/10 and was taken back to the surgeon in Jan for the same pain and now again last week he went back to the ER for horrible pain. He was first told that he had an STD, and now they have no idea what's wrong. They keep giving him painkillers and he can hardly sit, stand or walk. We need help
im scared now my 8 week old son has just had surgery to repair a inguinal hernia n he has severe swelling and bruising and the surgeon told me not to worry n that it was normal
i too had a hernia repair about 3 weeks ago and i gotta say honestly looking back id have preferred just letting the hernia go till death as opposed to now, i am 10x more uncomfortable than before the surgery ,depressed in pain constantly and just all around hating life. i have to walk bow legged to move around or my balls hurt like hell, there is no way to sleep comfortably at least 3-4 times a night i wake up due to pain and have to carefully shift around to get back to sleep. I really cant take much more of this, oh and my condolences to anyone who tried to talk to a barber err doctor sorry about their condition,sorry, but  i find most in the medical profession to be about as useful as **** on a boar. and they lie more than lawyers.
find a new barber, errr doctor, because anyone that tells you lyrica  is the strongest painlkiller available is either retarded.or a chronic liar that probably got their medical degree from a cereal box,. that is simply absurd.,lyrica is not even in the top 20 of strongest pain killers available today ,its not even the strongest non opiod pain killer and it is also addictive.
which brings me to another issue, NEVER EVER take a medication prescribed to you without doing your own research most barbers err doctors know little to nothing about the medications they prescribe (for proof listen to what they tell you, then research it yourself, you will find they A: have no clue what they are talking about or B: are lying) they read the pharm reps advertisement, listen to their shpeel then start handing the garbage out to every third patient. notice they only tend to prescribe the "new" (ie still patented and profitable drugs) , anyway please folks, please, do your own research before allowing these experimental barbers to destroy your life.
Well I had urethral reconstruction surgery which required cutting the urethra (2 cm) and attaching the two ends together.  The procedure consisted of an incision of the perineal, (scrotum to close to the anus).  The catheter was removed after 3 weeks.  Now I have constant pain on both sides of the scrotum, more o the right side, can't say its a testicule, but I don't know what it is.  Surgeon said it was nerve endings, but it just doesn't get any better.

No redness, no swelling, no fever....  just pain, worse when I sit or walk.  Any thoughts??
I am a woman and had inugural hernia surgery completed over two years ago. Still had pain when I went for the recheck and the surgeon apologized and said I still had the hernia and he did not know why, maybe mesh rolled. Another surgery and what do you know, all of a sudden it was a femoral hernia same place but this way it was not his fault.
I woke up from surgery with severe right leg pain, so much I was crying and it is two years latter, take aspirin every day just to help with the pain. I can not have sex with my husband due to the pain, I have gained lots of weight due to the pain and not being able to be active.
I told the doctor during my next recheck and he said he never heard of someone having as much pain as I do and I must have low pain tolerance. (Although I have given birth three times with no pain meds, low tolerance my butt). Where do I go from here? I have called other surgeons and they all tell me to go back to the one that did the surgery, sorry I have no faith in him what so ever. Can anyone provide any advice?
Condolences to everyone out there experiencing these problems, but Im also glad to hear Im not the only one to have these issues.

About 10 weeks ago I had an inguinal hernia repair to my right side, along with a hydrocele fix on my right testicle.

10 weeks on and my stomach is fine, lifting is not an issue etc.  I do however get pain in my right testicle when driving and walking.  The pain comes from the upper part of the testiclen where it attaches to the spermatic cord.  Following the operation, the right testicle is very high, and has no "dangle" and seems to become squeezed and constricted when driving and walking.  I also experience problems sleeping when I roll on to my side in the night and it feels to get crushed etween my legs - sleeping on my back is fine.

Since the operation, the surgeon has sent me for an ultrasound to check for testicular torsion, which came back clear,, but it dod show swelling in the testicle, which still feels very firm comapired to the left side.

The surgeon has now referred me to a urologist, but my appiontment is over 8 weeks away!!!

Im currently off work due to my lack of mobility, and after 6 months I also drop to 1/2 pay - plus overtime, and callout Ive missed since Ive been off work!

I need to get this sorted asap!  Im getting so fustrated as I have so much energy I just cant use!
I want to wish you luck on your upcoming appointment. I hope they find the source of your pain so you do not have to go through this for years. I am also going to a different doctor this week and crossing my fingers they can stop the pain without meds as I do not believe you should have to live on medications.
i had inguinal hernia surgery about 7 weeks ago. and like most teenagers i love sports, staying active and weight lifting. 5 months without doing anything realy *****. and now i have usual pain along the surgical area and inside part of my leg and groin is this normal? i dont have any testicular pain what so ever. and i dont realy know when to start weight lifting and playing sports again itss been harrasing me for all this time. how do u know when to start again. can i start even though i feel a little bit of pain?
I've had two surgery's.  One two years ago and the other this past Dec.  Dec. one is healing with minor nerve issues but recovering.  The surgery from two years ago continues with me having nerve and scare tissue pain.  I've seen a pain management doc recently and completed a bi-monthly series of 3 steroid injections, no help.  He is now recommending a nerve bloc.  I'm thinking about it?  In the meantime, I've had acupuncture done a week ago.  It is lessing the pain and reducing the tightness which is what the injections were supposed to do, but has not removed the pain.  I'll see him 3 more times and I'm keeping my fingers crossed he can clear it up.  This is not what I signed up for...
I have had a tiny hernia for years. I hid it to get my job 5 yrs ago. I did this by fake coughing so it wouldn't pop. I have always been able to lift an enormous amount of weight at the gym. Recently I noticed the hernia is easily three times the size. Its almost as if there was a small crack there but now its gotten longer. When I push I feel that bubble from slightly under my belt line all the way to the left of my penis. It doesn't extend to my scrotum. There is no pain or anything exept the fear I am feeling after reading things on this thread. I am terrified. Do hernia surgeries ever go well? Does anyoen have a "I had it and its fine" story? If I decide to get surgery I will NOT get Laporoscopic surgery. Old fashined cut and I will ask for the mesh so the hernia doesn't come back. What are some things I should ask for or ask about when I speak to the surgeon?
I am amazed that there are so many people complaining from their hernia ops, from what my surgeon told me, was that he has never heard of anyone with such pains before. But to my amazement after stumbling onto this web site, I now realize that I am not alone.  I collapsed on site in Aug '10 and had my operation in Sept '10, the pain that I get in my groin and running down the inside of my leg is absolute agony, not to mention that my urine stream has no strength behind it anymore, but am told by my surgeon not to worry about it unless I'm urinating on my feet. The amount of weight I have gained from not being able to move around, is disgusting, and am having trouble sleeping, because of the pain. I have found that the less I move around the less pain that I cause myself.  I am still unsure of what is wrong with me, as depression is getting the better of me, and I still have not been told what is actually wrong.  I am open to any answers to try and fix myself, as my life has taken a turn for the worst.
can I ask are you in Oz? The comments you have made sound very much like the words from my surgeon!
i had a regular cut and fix hernia surgery a week ago and i healed up amazingly fast...the pain is not even bothering me now..just a little sore,and my testicle is bigger than usual..i have not had an erection though even in the morning and i always do, scary...but I AM HAVING A "NEW" PAIN...SHARP PAIN UP UNDER MY SCROTAL SACK AND IT RADIATES DOWN MY INNER LEFT THIGH (I HAD IT DONE ON THE LEFT)....SO I AM GOING TO SEE THE doctor today at 3pm...i will respond to this board with anything he said..
I'll try to give a little hope to fellow sufferers.  I had a laparoscopic left inguinal hernia repair on March 21, 2001.  I got over the surgical pain and lost the fluid in my scrotum within 2-3 weeks, but my left testicle stayed bigger and sore on top, where the tube attaches, for a full couple of months.  My left is bigger, but I've read one is often bigger in everyone, and I didn't think to measure before the surgery.    

At the end of the third week, I badgered my doctor into giving me a second 5-day course of Ketorolac 10mg and 7 days of Cipro 500mg, just in case.  He also suggested the urologist, sounding to me like "I have done all I can".   He also said this kind of pain was common among men who, like me, had had a vasectomy.

I'm not sure how much the new meds did.  I switched to briefs and things started to feel somewhat normal.  

Anyway, the good news is that I can now get mostly complete comfort by wearing briefs instead of boxers.  The testicle stops being painful to touch and feels pretty normal.  If I switch back to boxers, I start to feel some pain.  I theorize that the tube running down to the testicle is getting pressure from the mesh, and I suppose that will be permanent.  However, I'm not too unhappy if I can feel and act normally by wearing briefs.

I've had no problem with sexual performance, although I have had a little soreness afterwards, probably from the bouncing and bumping around, but it goes away with briefs and a couple hours.

I'm 62, 5'7", 270lb, male.  Way overweight, I try to walk for exercise and I do some situps.  I was able to put i the window air conditioners this spring and I can play tennis and do some light weight training.  On the whole, I feel better than I did with the hernia, and I can manage the residual discomfort.

I found this forum both helpful and scary during the worst of my discomfort.  I hope someone finds this post useful too.
Hey I'm a 17 year old male and I just got surgery for and inguanal hernia (right) I been having pains in my right side of my groin and my right testicle my surgery was on Monday and today is Friday; last night my girlfriend gave me a handjob and I came. Now I'm concerned if I shouldn't have done that can you help me out I'm scared.
I to have had a bilateral hernia repair laproscopically,  and have had nothing but problems since, lack of pressure when i urinate, or ejaculate. and sharp burning pain down my right thigh. They all think I am crazy!! workmans comp cut me off, my boss fired me when I got hurt and my attorney won't return my calls. My wife is ready to leave me. no money no sex this *****. I seen a urologist he says I have  a hydrocele and striction, it is possible they did not deflate the cathader .when they pulled it out!! I pissed blood for a week afterwards. I am in 20X more pain now than before!! My quality of life is gone, cymbalta does not help, asking for prayer from anyone who has faith.
I experienced the same thing after my surgery. Pain in (testicle)'s. What got rid of my pain was i wore spandex for the last 6-8 weeks after the surgery. And if it was hurting that means i was walking around to much. Which means slow down and sit down on the couch and watch tv until the pain goes away. Only time, care, and rest can nurse a herina back to full strength. P.S you will mostly likely stop feeling the pain around week 6 where you're body has recovered to about 70 to 80%
I had right inguinal surgery to repair massive damage, most of which was the result of playing a wind instrument professionally my whole life (more than fifty years).  It was a large mesh job, and took several hours.  I healed well, with no infection, redness, swelling, just a little discoloration of the penis.  The doc proclaimed me doing well ten days after the surgery date, five weeks ago, and the light was at the end of the tunnel.   Four days later, I experienced right testicular pain that was excruciating, and kept me in the recliner the entire day.  The next couple of weeks I felt about 1% better each day, but would have these episodes of right testicle pain every now and then.  Now, it is five weeks and yesterday was unbelievable.  The incision has healed marvelously, very limited swelling, but the testicular sensitivity and pain kills any desire for sex, and I am married to one beautiful and luscious lady.  No pain meds have worked, except I have found that very good whiskey does a wonderful job of taking your mind off of the pain; it doesn't kill it, just makes you sort of forget it for a while. I think the physicians have forgotten this old time tested remedy and are much too eager to prescribe some over-priced, gut shredding pain med that barely works.  I'll just give it a little more time; my heart bleeds for you with this as a chronic, long-lasting problem.  I will say that there have been recommendations to wear briefs, and every time I do, the pain returns.  I also think that anyone who has had mesh repair and who is a side-sleeper in bed is much more susceptible to experiencing this problem; perhaps the position crinkles the mesh and forces it to scrunch up against the nerves to the testes and sciatic areas.  Good luck everyone!
i have done2 hernia surgery on each side i have lot of pains  because of these surgery now  i have kidney  problems scrotum and stomach proble ms i cant stand for long sit or walk i am half dead waiting to be buried never ever trust thy doctor the more  you go to them the more you are near the grave
I've had a ingrunial surgery repair a few months ago and till to this day I have been expierincing sharp pains along with burning sensations which makes me twitch in the area that the mesh was placed that runs from the incision area to my groin area. I've been prescribed alot of pain pills had an ultra sound to check if there was any fluids, bile etc etc and nothing could be found. So Ive been prescribed lyrica for Nuero pain  along with hydrocodone and was told that there's nothing else that they can do for me. The lyrica helps a lil I do still expierence pain that makes me twitch. I do not like what the lyrica is doing to me pyshcologically. Its messing with my head and emotions. The pain the meds are interfering with my day to day life. I feel that all they did for me was is feed me pills and didn't take me serious regarding the pain I been complaining about. Now I'm here left with no answers this pain and taking these meds which is messing with me. I need help I don't know what to do anymore.....HELP!
So is there any answers for all these questions because I haven't seen any questions being answered. If any one out there has any kind of information or answers for me pls contact me via email @ ***@****      (808mike)
I had laproscopic illioinguinal hernia repair Jan 19 2005 while I was in the military. The night of the surgery I went to pee and felt something POP then a burning, stabbing pain in the groin. Over the next 3 months my leg would go numb when I was walking, I would feel electricity or ants marching in my right teste and thigh, a painful lump in my groin that interferes with sex and by September of that year I was using a cane to walk as NONE OF THE DOCTORS IN FT POLK KNEW WHAT WAS WRONG!! A year and a half later I was med boarded due to disability even tho they didn't know what was wrong. In 2007 a friend suggested I see a specialist who said I had lateral femoral cutaneous nerve syndrome, meshoma, spermatic chord impengement, and a couple other problems. It still wasn't until recently I was told all of it added up to post herriopathy pain syndrome. I have been fighting the veterans admin for years because they take the militarys side and act like I'm crazy even tho there own chief of surgery in Delaware said another op would make pain worse, cause blood vessels to bled out and/or cause me to lose my right testicle. I have developed PTSD and a depressive disorder from 6 1/2 years of this. I've been on every pain killer known to man and at this point would like to know is a second op worth it or will it make it worse? To those of you wondering what it is look up post herriopathy pain syndrome. If you are in the military and this has happened go see JAG because you only have 1 1/2 to sue under tort claims laws.
Also get the op report and see what type of mesh patch was used. That is important to know. Kugel patches are known to be deffective. KEEP ALL YOUR RECORDS DO NOT LET THEM SCREW YOU OVER LIKE THEY DID ME!
Here's an update to my prior post.  It is now almost 5 months since my March 21st operation.  My pain seems to be completely gone.  I no longer have to wear briefs for support.  My only discomfort is that I feel the mesh kind of constricting when I sit forward in my office chair.  I no longer have pain or tenderness to the touch, wearing boxers is fine, and I can exercise daily and move as much as ever.  Finally, I can see the upside of having the operation.

I hope this is useful to people with recent operations.  If you wait long enough, it CAN get better.  My sympathy to those for whom it didn't/doesn't.
Hi friends, sounds like me and you in same boat,is it possible to remain hopeful
I have ache  plus poor urine flow and poor ejectulation .is it possible 3 months too early
for recovery any comments welcome
Scheduled for surgery this week, this site has me freaked out. Spent the last 6 months in pain, no one knew what it was. They thought it was my hip. After running and lifting it finally popped out. If I dont do the surgery I will be in pain the rest of my life, plus wont be an athelete which is my life, plus it could get strangulation. Hope it goes well.
My son had hernia surgery at 7 weeks in 1992. What the surgeon failed to tell us is that this is an actual birth defect, and that some point in time he will have problems. In Jan of 2011 my son got out of bed screaming in pain (now 18 years old). I looked, called an ambulance and 2 hours later he was in surgery for a testicular torsion. This surgeon was the one that explained the above, also stating that now he is more likely to get testicular cancer as well. Please talk to your doctor and make sure he tells you everything so that you do not have the same suprise we did!
Update...I had a CT of my chest done and they found a Thymoma. From what I read all my leg pain could be stemming from myasthenia gravis but have no way of knowing since my VA doc refuses to test me for it. Every other symptom fits...muscle cramps, exhaustion, fatigue, left eye droop, Thymoma, chest pain, airway constriction, blurry vision, it even explains my leg pain as Thymoma causes excess antibodies to be produced and attack the muscles in the leg (where all my pain has been since the surgery). Does anyone else know about myasthenia gravis? Does it sound like what I have?
I have an Iguinal Hernia 2 weeks ago. I am thinking of doing the suergery. Now, after reading all the posts here, I am thinking twice about it. Is there any hope of doing the surgery (laprascopic) with normal outcome (i.e: 1-2 weeks, then normal again).
Hery JR6667,
How did it go with your surgery? Hope all is good...
Hi I'm 24yrs old and about 2 weeks ago I was in the bathroom and noticed a bulge under my bellybutton on the right side that just seemed to apper out of nowhere. I'm a contractor and do alot of heavy lifting at work most days. Earlier that day I loaded about 5 tons worth of Handy Sand onto a trailer, (100lb bags). N-E-Way, My fience (In college-Future RN)took a look at it, ( I told her to come to the bathroom, I had a big bulge to show her) lol. After she took a look she told me to go to our doc because it looked like a inguinal hernia. So I went and my intelligent girl was right. Now I have to have surgery and was not to worried about it till I started reading all these posts about severe testicle pain following the surgery!!  Are the results you all had post surgery common? Are my balls gonna be in fire after surgery or are these side affects not usual. Give me some numbers, are the fire balls 1 out of every 2 people, or is it more like 1 out of every 5,000 people. Just wondering, thanks everyone for frying my nerves like Momma's Chicken & Grits.
Hi SemperFiDoOrDie,

I had a left and right inguinal hernia repair done, with mesh, about a year ago (Nov 2010 if I remember correctly).  The official name was: "laparascopic bilateral inguinal hernia repair with mesh" - they stuck Bard 3DMax in me - doc said it was "the best - really expensive stuff."  I knew they were gonna use mesh before surgery, and did some research.  I wound up on this forum today because for the past week or two I've had some strange "symptoms," but I'll talk about those below.  I'm sure at this point you're just looking for some good news about this.  Like you, I had a bulge on the right side.  The left side was just weak, and to avoid having it blow out someday I just had both sides fixed at once.  The surgery went fine, laparascopy seems to be the way to go.  I was literally back on my feet within a week and back to pretty much normal within 3-4 weeks.  Much better than the long and difficult recovery I've heard about with traditional surgery.  As for pain, the first few nights were difficult, but that's surgery and the pain meds were awesome.  My testicles both seem to be fine, although after surgery I would occasional get slight twinges of very intermittent (only a few seconds) of pain in the right one; those have gone away, and I honestly don't remember the last time it happened.  To be honest I've been in great shape since the repair, and it's nice not having that bulge or worrying about it becoming strangulated (a true medical emergency).  The only discomfort I've ever experienced was with bowel movements, in which I was "reminded" about the repair by slight pressure and discomfort, but never any serious pain.  SO FAR, it has been very much worth it.  Consider all the risks and benefits when making your decision.  This thread does make the repair sound risky, but not getting it fixed can be life-threatening, and if your intestine becomes strangulated, it can result in problems a LOT worse than anything you've read here...if you survive it.

Now, most recently I did a lot of heavy lifting and moving of stuff.  I also have a two-year-old who weighs in excess of 30 lbs.  Pre-hernia, I wouldn't break a sweat with that kind of activity.  But now, moving in certain ways (such as certain twists, bends, or muscle movements in the lower abdomen) will cause a brief, sharp, stabbing pain, at or in the very near vicinity of where the repairs were done.  Sometimes takes my breath away.  I've also experienced a rather sudden change in stools.  Sorry if TMI, but the sudden onset and the collection of symptoms I find rather striking.  My diet hasn't really  changed these last several months, and after reading about the aftermath of having certain meshes installed, I'm planning on having my doc take a look.  My fears, justified or not, include bowel constriction and/or affixing of the intestine to the repair.  Obviously I'm not completely obstructed yet, so that's good.  These episodes are extremely brief, but occasionally get to the point and frequency where I just can't lift my son (usually after I've done a lot of lifting with him).  Otherwise I can still toss him about pretty well.  I may just be overly straining myself.  Maybe I need to up the fiber.  In any case, I don't yet regret the repair, and hope things will improve soon.
I have had two bilateral inguinal hernia surgeries, once without mesh (1987) and once with mesh (2004) . My left side didn't work out so well and the hernia reoccured. These surgeries were not without some discomfort for a couple months. It takes time, rest and not overdoing yourself to recover fully. Being normal as you mentioned, after two weeks post op, is not going to happen. I recently (4wks ago) had open left inguinal hernia repaired again using mesh. This time I am experiencing left testicular swelling (about three times normal size) and some jabbing pain and burning sensation in my lower left abdomen. My urologist put me on cipro and an anti-inflamatory drug and has me scheduled for a doppler ultrasound to check for circulation issues and to see if the testicle may or may not be dead. I will post the outcome of the test and the recommondations of the doctor as soon as I know myself. I replied to your post because I believe that a person can live a long life nursing a hernia along, as long as your doctor doesn't think your in danger of intestinal stangulation. If you can live safely with the occational discomfort and still have a normal life dont have the surgury. Best of luck JB      
Kill all Doctors !
Kill all Doctors !
Hi Ron
I had left open inguinal hernia surgury four weeks ago. My left testicle is also very large, about three times normal size, and similar to the desciption you made of yours. I went back to my doc at the scheduled two week post op visit, he said the swelling was normal and to wear briefs or athletic supporter. I was still in pain the following week so I made an appointment to see my urologist. He scheduled a doppler ultrasound and the results were not good, no blood flow at all. The urologist said that it most likely died 6hrs after the blood supply was cut off. He also said no operation was needed and that the body would assimillate the dead tissue over time. So if your in the same boat I'm in you haven't done yourself any harm.I just wish the surgeon was more up front with the possible complications from this operation maybe I would have opted out.
I got the results of my ultrasound today and leftie has passed away due to lack of blood supply. The urologist said the dead testicle will reabsorb into the body and eventually shrink, I have no idea how long "eventually" is but I hope it's quick. I'm still having issues with pain but it's bearable with advil.
Hello. I wanted to ask you if your problem has been resolved. I am an otherwise healthy 43 year old male who had right side inguinal hernia repair done almost a week ago and I am experiencing testicular pain very similar to what you have described. I went to the ER a couple days ago and they did blood work (which they said came back normal) and a CAT scan which they said showed what they believed to be an abscess and some infection,
When I returned to the doctor that performed the surgery he dismissed the Er doctor's findings and said everything (including the pain a described) was either normal (or at least not unheard of). He said the pain was due to the nerves down there and the surgery and mesh placed down there disturbing those nerves. He assured me that the pain would eventually subside.
I'd like to know how you are currently doing and if you could offer me any useful information or feedback. Anything would be greatly appreciated.  
my surgery was sept last year, still in pain, right groin and down inside of right leg, also pins and needle in right foot and occasionally the foot goes purple.  Had an Mri monday gone, so I am hoping that something was found and I can get my life back, will post again when the results come in
thank you so much for your feedback and good luck with everything!
I had inguinal hernia surgery 11 weeks ago...At first there was much pain and some numbness,,,After 6 weeks no pain and some numbness.

Now after 11 weeks I still have some numbness - But have started getting burning pain/sensation on standing and worse after walking for a while.

No testicle pain or scrotum pain - just the groin numbness and now developing the burning in my groin..I thought after 6 weeks, I was home and dry.
test
In 1996 I had a right inguinal hernia mesh style repair.  Some numbness remains in the area but not too noticeable.  I believe I permanently lost some strength of erection after the surgery.
In March of 2011 I had a left inguinal hernia mesh style repair.  Recovery went well.  Three months later I did a lot of lifting and toting while moving.  A throbbing pain developed, which has subsided to a barely noticeable level.  Still, it is noticeable, and I don't think it should be.
After reading some of the posts I count myself fortunate.  If I ever have surgery again, I will spend more time researching the best surgeon.  Too many complications can develop from what should be a simple operation.
I had abdominal mesh placed on 4/4/11and 3rd. day in hospital a lump popped out and I had to walk on my tip toes on that side. Felt like razor blades cutting my insides. Numerous CT scans showed fluid under mesh. By the way the original doc has never done ANY tests on me.Saw a new surgeon last month and he said he could not help me and that I have to go to a big hospital.Lump is bigger and mesh is hard as a rock. Have nausea, pain,twitching over mesh, back pain, diarriah and bowels and bladder are aggrovated.  I have lost over 20 pounds and am now 76 pounds.Been to ER numerous times and  they had to give Demiral shots and Fentinyle for the pain.Get your report from the surgery that states what kind of mesh yours is, who made it , the catalog # and the lot #. I also peed pure blood for three days after my surgery.Docs have ignored me and say it will go away. I am going to file a complaint with the FDA about this mesh.One doc now thinks I am allergic to something in the mesh. He thinks too that I may have an infection that is not showing up. Feel really rotten. Tired of all this and am getting short tempered.Every one file with the FDA because if they get enough complaints they have to investigate. I hope and pray for myself and all of you that SOMEBODY helps us. It is wrong for these docs to treat us this way.
I had my inguinal hernia surgery back in april. I was required to get the surgery to enlist in the service. They used mesh on me , but I still feel discomfort (not necessarily pain) if I sleep wrong, sit down wrong, or even sing. I love singing but should I stop doing it if it puts pressure and aggrevates it? I figured 7 months after surgery I would be ok to do things like that, but could it just mean I am a slow healer? Please answer
got the results of my MRI, I was hoping that something would have shown up, so that I could go back under the knife to have it fixed, just not my luck, MRI seems to have showed up nothing, what is going on inside my body, life is just not good anymore.  I suppose I have 1 last test to ask for, an MRI with the dye, which I thought would have been smart to do seen as though it seems to be nerve damage, I wish you all well in your endeavors to be fixed/repaired, but the faith is fading quickly on this side of the fence, I just want my life back.  If I was an animal they would have put me down, so why do we need to live with this pain.  Also starting to get more worried about my right foot, as I used an infrared thermometer and there was a raised 2.3deg difference between my feet, the right being hotter.
I had the surgery (laprascopic) on 4th Nov.  The surgeon gave me 6 weeks leave which I thought was excessive (at the time). I am now at 3 weeks and while the incision has healed beautifully (inside first 2 weeks) and while also I do not have the same major problems as some have written in this forum, I do have 'pain to the touch' on my side side below the incision and my right testicle is painfull to touch but not too bad. Hoping this will progressively lessen over time - not much change over the last week.  Post op visit is on Monday 28th Nov so will see what the surgeon says.
I'm spending my time at home in boxers as any pressure on either my testicle or lower right side cause some pain (testicle-bruising type pain) (lower side stinging type pain).
Will update after I see my surgeon.
I hope this helps someone, but I had a huge inguinal hernia that dropped into my left testicle.  I had laparascopic surgery with mesh applied at the cleveland clinic in 2003 (I was 22).  I'm happy to report that I am NOT having any issues with pain or my testicles.  I have noticed that my urine stream is not as strong as it was, but this could be attributed to age (prostate) or from the original hernia before the surgery.

I suggest doing your research and finding a good doctor.  Although most surgeons believe this is a simple procedure, the complications are serious and common.  Take your time and don't settle for a "value" hernia surgery.
this is my 3rd set of nerve blocking medications, I have seen a very slight improvement, but not holding my breath just yet, as I walk around the city last Thursday, and the pain was back.  I seem to be able to do small amounts without getting into to much discomfort, so I am hoping that these pills will help me
I had an open mesh repair for a left inguinal hernia. Surgery went quite straight-forward but I also have tesiticular pain. I`m currently on day 14, and am documenting my whole recovery here: www.myhernia.co.uk
I have now been to see a pain specialist, he has been very upfront with me, he is reducing my nupentin medication and will be putting me on lyrica, hope this does something, looks promising.
I had inguinal hernia surgery about three months ago one week after I  started having pain in my right testicle . About two months ago I started having  hot flashes and low sex drive so I what to my Dr he tested me I have low t I still have some pain but not as bad as I did I don't know what t do my Dr said that I may have andropause after reading on this site I think it may by form the surgery can someone help me
i found this on the internet mybe this will help us
TES TIC U LA R AT RO PH Y AF T ER INGU INA L HE RNIA RE PA IR

by Brian Camazine, M.D. INTRODUCTION

Ischemic orchitis progressing to testicular atrophy is one of the most devastating complications of hernia repair, It is also the most common cause of litigation after herniorrhaphy. The incidence of testicular atrophy is up to 0.5% after primary repair and up to 5% after recurrent hernia repair.

The primary etiology of testicular atrophy is surgical trauma to the testicular veins of the spermatic cord. This is especially likely to occur during dissection of a complete indirect sac from the cord. Delicate veins of the pampiniform plexus are injured and thrombose causing venous insufficiency of the testicle.

CASE PRESENTATION

A 58 year old male with chronic pain in his right groin was referred to a general surgeon for hernia repair. The patient had a history of bilateral inguinal hernia repairs at age 19. Despite having no symptoms on the left, the surgeon suggested bilateral repair since ²The left side will eventually pop out². The patient was not informed of the possible complications of bilateral repair or that the risk of complications were significantly higher since the patient previously had bilateral repairs. Specifically, there was no discussion of the risks of testicular atrophy or that consideration was given to staging the repairs.

At surgery, the surgeon encountered a significant amount of scar tissue. Both indirect and direct hernias were found on the right but no hernia was found on the left. Following the surgery, the patient developed bilateral wound complications requiring drainage and antibiotics. He saw the surgeon multiple times over the next year with complaints of testicular swelling and pain followed by retraction of both testicles.

Eventually, the patient saw a urologist and endocrinologist. He was found to have depression, decreased libido, hot flashes, loss of hair, gynecomastia and bilateral testicular retraction and atrophy. Laboratory tests showed a very low testosterone level. The patient was diagnosed with secondary testicular failure resulting from bilateral inguinal hernia repair.

Despite treatments with androgens, the patient has persistent loss of libido, depression, feminization, and groin pain. These events have significantly changed his life for the worse.

The patient initiated a lawsuit against the surgeon who ultimately was found liable for injuries to the testicles and negligent for failing to give adequate informed consent. The case was settled for $1,250,000.

DISCUSSION

The incidence of testicular atrophy can be dramatically reduced by ³ limiting dissection trauma to the cord. This is accomplished simply by never, if possible, dissecting the distal portion of an indirect sac from the spermatic cord and never, if possible, dissecting the cord beyond the pubic tubercle for any reason. When necessary, dissection of the spermatic cord can be bypassed altogether by accessing the groin by an abdominal preperitoneal approach. The preperitoneal hernioplasty is indicated in patients with recurrent hernias to avoid retraumatizing a previously dissected and perhaps damaged spermatic cord.²(1)

Given the increased incidence of testicular atrophy after recurrent hernia repair, leaders in the field of hernia repair have suggested that ³...it probably is ill advised to perform simultaneous bilateral indirect inguinal hernia hernioplasty if an indirect sac has been excised, for fear of causing bilateral testicular atrophy. Also, patients, especially in their reproductive years, who develop ischemic orchitis on one side should have surgical repair of a contralateral inguinal hernia postponed for at least a year until the final outcome of the ischemic orchitis is known.²(1) By corollary, it is obvious that a patient who has had previous bilateral inguinal hernia repairs should have staged operations for recurrences to avoid the potential for bilateral testicular atrophy. In this situation, serious thought should also be given to using a preperitoneal approach.

Although there are no strict guidelines, many medicolegal experts and surgeons believe that complications with an incidence greater than 1% should routinely be discussed with patients. Thus, few surgeons feel it necessary to discuss testicular atrophy with a patient who has a primary hernia.

However, it is essential to discuss these complications with all patients who have recurrent hernias since the incidence is up to 5%. ³Furthermore, it is also advisable to inform all patients with previous groin or scrotal surgery why the preperitoneal approach by an abdominal incision is preferred to an anterior groin incision for repair of recurrent hernias.²(1)

CONCLUSION

The medicolegal implications of testicular atrophy are obvious. Testicular atrophy should be a rare occurrence but is nonetheless more common in recurrent hernia repairs. This complication can be avoided by limiting dissection trauma to the cord. It is essential to discuss the potential for testicular atrophy with all patients who have recurrent hernias.

REFERENCES

1. Testicular atrophy and chronic residual neuralgia as risks of inguinal hernioplasty. Wantz, GE, Surg Clin North Am 1993 Jun;73(3):571-81. About Brian Camazine, MD
I had the samr 2 operations for hernia on left and right side and its been 26 years ago the pain never goes away and your testicals are going to drop dramacticallly as you get older and the VA does nothing and dont give no disability
the only pain i am having is in my testicals and some anxity and loss of libido, depression, i think most is from the low t   has any one else had  this symtoms (symptoms) please let me know
IF YOUR SEEING A LAWYER,GOOD LUCK,IT WASNT OUT OF MALICE ON THE SURGEONS PART SO YOULL LOSE,I KNOW I DID,WASTE OF MONEY.THE THING WESTERN DOCS ARE DOING IS USING OUT DATED MESH AND METAL STAPLES.I JUST HAD MY LEFT MESH AND 13 METAL STAPLES TAKEN OUT,I CAN POOP,**** AND WALK W NO PAIN.HAD IT DONE IN HONG KONG BY A VERY GD SURGEON.I STILL CANT BELIEVE AFTER 9 YEARS OF EXCRUTIATING PAIN,COUNTLESS ******** FROM WESTERN DOCS HE FIXED ME IN 4 HOURS.UNEDUCATED WESTERN DOCS ARE CAUSING US ALOT OF MISERY.PAUL
I REALLY FEEL FOR ALL YOU GUYS THAT HAVE HAD A HERNIA REPAIR.I HAD BOTH SIDES DONE,MY LEFT SIDE WAS DONE IN 2003 LAPROSCOP,MY RIGHT ONE WAS DONE 8 MONTHS LATER ,OPEN NO LAP ALSO IN 2003.MY NIGHTMARE STARTED 3 MONTHS ON THE LEFT SIDE WITH SOME PAIN BUT MORE SO WITH CONSTIPATION.I SAW THE DOC WHO DIDNT SEEMED TOO CONCERNED ABOUT IT,TOLD ME IT WASNT MY HERNIA AND WE WILL GIVE YOU SOME PILLS TO GET YOU POOPING AGAIN.THIS IS THE GUY THAT DID MY LEFT SIDE,OLD AND READY TO RETIRE.I GOT THE IMPRESSION THAT HE REALLY DIDNT GIVE A **** AND THERES NO WAY FROM WHAT HE DID COULD HAVE CAUSED ANY PROBLEMS.
SO I STARTED TO TAKE LAXITIVES,I THINK I TOOK EVERY TYPE ON THE MARKET WITH NO AVAIL.MEANWHILE MY LEFT IS STARTING TO HURT MORE AS WELL AS MY STOMACHE DUE TO THE PRESSURE OF POOP BUILDING UP ALL THE TIME.SO ITS OFF TO SEE ANOTHER SURGEON.
        FINALLY AFTER WAITING 8 FREAKING MONTHS I GOT IN TO SEE THIS GUY,I EXPLAINED TO HIM WHAT WAS GOING ON AND THAT I THOUGHT IT WAS DUE TO THE MESH BEING TOO TIGHT,HE DISMISSED THIS IDEA RIGHT AWAY AND TOLD ME THAT IT SOUNDS LIKE NERVE DAMAGE AND HE WILL SEND ME TO A NERVE SPECIALIST,OKAY ILL GIVE IT A SHOT.SO AT MY EXPENCE I HAD TO TAKE A FERRY RIDE,BOOK A HOTEL AND SEE THIS GUY,OH,BUY THE WAY IVE ALREADY BEEN OUT OF WORK SINCE THE FIRST OPERATION.FINALLY SEE THIS GUY ,EXPLAIN WHATS GOING ON SO HE DECIDES TO MAKE A SMALL HOLE ABOVE THE CANAL AND FREEZE THE NERVE UNTILL ITS DEAD.NEEDLESS TO SAY THIS DIDNT WORK,SO BACK HOME AGAIN TO SEE THE SURGEON AGAIN.THIS TIME HE SUGGESTS I START GOING FOR TESTS,CT'S,BARIUMS ETC...AS I FIGURED NONE OF THESE TESTS SHOWED SQAUT.
  SO NOW BACK TO THE SURGEON,HE TELLS ME HE CANT UNDERSTAND WHATS WRONG,AS IF IM MAKING THIS STUFF UP,SO ONCE AGAIN BACK ON THE FERRY TO TRY ANOTHER PROCEDURE,INSTEAD OF TRYING TO FREEZE THE NERVE LETS SHOVE A PROBE IN THERE AND ELECTRIFY THE ******* THING,WHAT A JOKE THAT WAS,OF COURSE IT DIDNT WORK SO BACK HOME AGAIN WITH A PRESCRIPTION HE GAVE ME FOR NERVES.
  OKAY NOW ITS PILL TIME TO SEE IF I CAN GET ANY RELIEF,AFTER TAKING THESE PILLS FOR 2 DAYS MY ARMS WERE GOING NUMB,MY GUMS STARTED BLEEDING ETC...FORGET THE PILLS AND GO BACK TO THE SURGEON.SO NOW IM IN 2005 BEGGING THE SURGEON TO GO IN AND HAVE A LOOK BECAUSE BY THIS TIME THE PAIN IS ON A TEN OUT OF TEN EVERYDAY ALONG WITH THE CONSTANT CONSTIPATION,NOT EATING AND LOSING 30 POUNDS ALREADY,THE GUY SHOOK HIS HEAD NO BUT RELUCTENTLY AGREED.HE WHENT IN ON THE LEFT SIDE SIDE AND HE REMOVED A COUPLE OF STAPLES AND A TINY BIT OF MESH.ONCE AGAIN TO NO RELIEF,ONLY ANSWER IS TO START ME ON PERKASETS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
  AFTER A YEAR AND A HALF OF EVERYDAY PAIN GOING DOWN MY LEG,KILLING MY LEFT NUT I WHENT AND SAW THE SAME SURGEON AGAIN,THIS TIME HE AGREED TO TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT THE LEFT SIDE AGAIN AND AT THE SAME TIME REPAIR THE RIGHT HERNIA,OPEN THIS THIS TIME NOT LAP.THIS TIME WHEN HE WHENT IN HE DECIDED TO DO A BOWEL RECESSION ON ME,WHY,I HAVE NO IDEA.SO ABOUT A WEEK LATER STILL WITH THE AGONISING LEFT PAIN I STOPPED POOPING ALLTOGETHER.SO I CALLED HIM THIS TIME AND THEY SAID THERE IS NOTHING MORE THEY CAN DO AND HUNG UP THE PHONE.
  AFTER NOT BEING ABLE TO POOP FOR 5 DAYS I FINALLY TRIED TO GO ONE DAY AND I TELL YOU IF I HAD A GUN I WOULD HAVE SHOT MYSELF,TURNS OUT WHEN HE DID THE BOWEL JOB HE INADVERTINALLY MADE A BLIND BOWEL LOOP WHICH CAUSED PAIN SO BAD I HAD TO LITERALLY SCREAM INTO A TOWEL SO I WOULDNT SCARE THE **** OUT OF MY NIEGHBOURS.FAMILY DOCTOR SAID IT WAS NERVES AGAIN,SO I WHENT TO CHINA AND SPENT 2 WEEKS IN HOSPITAL GETTING ACUPUNCTURE,THAT DIDNT WORK EITHER,NOW RELLY GOING INTO DEBT AND ALOT OF PAIN IT WAS BACK TO CANADA TO SEE A DIFFERENT SURGEON,THANK GOD THIS GUY FELT SORRY FOR ME AND SLICED ME WIDE OPEN TO FIX THE BOWEL LOOP.STILL NO RELIEF ON THE HERNIA LEFT SIDE,THE RIGHT HERNIA WAS DOING FANTASTIC DUE TO IT BEING DONE OPEN BUT I WAS STILL UP TO 6 PERKS A DAY AND 5 LORAZAPAM A DAY TO COUNTER THE SHAKING FROM ALL THE PERKS.
  A YEAR LATER I SAW THE SAME SURGEON AGAIN ABOUT THE CONSTANT PAIN ON THE LEFT,HE AGREED TO GO IN AND TAKE A LOOK,HE TOOK 3 MORE STAPLES OUT AND SOME MORE MESH,GUESS WHAT...NO RELIEF.I ASKED HIM IF HE COULD DO A RE DO ON THE LEFT SIDE BUT HE TOLD ME IT WAS TOO DANGEROUS,NERVE DAMADGE,COULD BLEED TO DEATH IF THE VASCULAR WAS CUT ETC...I SAW A FEW MORE SURGEONS JUST TO GET THIER OPINION AND I GOT THE SAME STORY FROM ALL OF THEM,MAINLY NO ONE WANTED TO TOUCH ME.BUY THIS TIME ALL I CAN DO IS TAKE MY PERKS WHICH DIDNT WORK ANY MORE AND TRY AND FIGURE OUT THE LEAST PAINLESS WAY TO KILL MYSELF,JUMP IN FRONT OF A TRAIN,HANG MYSELF OR A GARDEN HOSE FROM THE CAR EXHAUST.
  MY WIFE HAS HAD ENOUGH,MY FRIENDS SLOWLY DISSAPEARED DUE TO ME BEING A ***** 24 7.
  THEN A PHONE CALL FROM MY WIFES FATHER WHO LIVES IN HONG KONG,YES MY WIFE IS CHINESE,THEY ARE THE BEST,ANYHOOT HE SAID THAT HE MAY HAVE FOUND ME A SURGEON THAT COULD HELP ME,ANYTHINGS BETTER THAN KILLING MYSELF SO OFF TO HONG KONG I GO.LUCKILY THE SURGEON IS BILINGUAL,60 YEARS OLD AND A VERY POSITIVE MAN.I EXPLAINED TO HIM ALL THE HELL IVE BEEN THROUGH AS YOU TOO HAVE BEEN READING AND I ASKED HIM IF HE CAN CUT ME OPEN AND TAKE THIS DAM MESH OUT AS WELL AS THE STAPLES.HIS REPLY WAS SURE I CAN MAKE A DIAGONAL CUT OPEN AND GET IT OUT FOR YOU.ABSOLUTE CONTRARY TO THE ******** EXCUSES I GOT FROM ALL THE SURGEONS IN CANADA.WITHIN A WEEK I WAS ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL,HE TOOK 4 HOURS TO GET THE DAM MESH OUT ALONG WITH 10 STAPLES,2 STAPLES WERE RIGHT BESIDE MY BLADDER THAT NEVER SHOWED UP ON ANY OF THE CT'S I IHAD,THIS EXPLAINED WHY AT 4 IN THE MORNING THE PAIN WOULD WAKE ME UP UNTILL I TOOK A **** THEN I COULD GET BACK TO SLEEP.
   ITS ONLY BEEN 5 DAYS SINCE HE TOOK ALL THAT CRAP OUT AND I CAN **** AND **** AND WALK AGAIN WITH NO PAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN NINE LONG YEARS,I HAVENT HAD ANY PERKS OR LORAZAPAM EITHER,MY APPETITE IS BACK AND NOW WHEN I CRY THEY ARE HAPPY TEARS FOR A CHANGE.
   NOW FOR THE EXPLANATION AS TO WHY SO MANY HERNIA OPERATIONS ARE ******* UP,AS FAR AS IM CONCERNED.THE MAIN TERM IS MESHOMA.IN THE WESTERN SOCIETY DOCTORS KNOWLEDGE OF HERNIAS IS VERY LIMITED AND THIS LACK OF KNOWLEDGE IS BEING TAUGHT AGAIN,ITS LIKE THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND.THE MATERIAL THEY USE MAKIING THE MESH IS OUT DATED BY 10 OR 15 YEARS OLD.DISTANCE AND SIZE OF THE MESH PLAYS A HUGE ROLL IN NOT COMMING DOWN WITH MESHOMA.WHAT HAPPENS IS THE MESH SLOWLY OVER TIME WILL START TO SHRINK IF IT IS NOT PUT IN PROPERLY,IN ESSENCE THE SIDES WANT TO SHAKE HANDS AND WHEN THIS HAPPENS THE MESH BUNCHES UP AND IN MY CASE PULLED ON MY BOWELS CLOSING THEM OFF,PULLING ON THE 3 MAIN VASC NERVES WE HAVE CAUSING THE LEG AND TESTICLE PAIN,AS WITH ME IT WOULD ALSO SHOOT OVER TO THE RIGHT SIDE AND CAUSE PAIN DUE TO THE NERVES BEING CONNECTED IN OUR GROIN.
  THERE IS A GERMAN TEXTILE GUY THAT ACTUALLY CAME UP WITH THE NEW DESIGN OF THE MESH WHICH IS NOW BEING USED IN GERMANY,EUROPE AND CHINA AKA HONG KONG.
  MY LEFT HERNIA PROBABLY WILL COME BACK,THE SURGEON DIDNT WANT TO TAKE THE OLD ONE OUT AND PUT THE NEW ONE IN RIGHT AWAY BECAUSE FROM ALL THE SURGERIES IVE HAD HE TOLD ME I NEED TIME TO HEAL MY INNER STOMACHE TISSUE BEFORE HE ATTEMPS TO REPAIR THE LEFT,AND FOR HIM TO REPAIR THE LEFT WOULD BE A PIECE OF CAKE WITH NO PROBLEMS.
  I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD LOVE A MAN,ESPECIALLY AN ASIAN MAN BUT FOR WHAT HE HAS DONE FOR ME ITS LIKE BEING REBORN. WITH ALL THE PILLS,PAIN AND ******** WE GET FROM OUR WESTERN DOCTORS.DONT LET PREDUJICE GET IN THE WAY OF YOUR HEALTH,THERE ARE OTHER ALTERNATIVES OPEN TO YOU...SPEND 12000.00 AND GET YOUR HEALTH AND SANITY BACK.
  I KNOW THIS WAS LONG BUT I WANTED YOU TO KNOW HOW MUCH CRAP WE PUT UP WITH WHEN ITS NOT REALLY NECESSARY. PAUL .
SORRY,FORGOT TO MENTION THE MOST IMPORTANT PART,DO NOT USE METAL STAPLES AND THE 15 YEAR OLD OUT DATED MESSH THE WEST USES.IF YOU HAVE NERVE ENTRAPMENT A METAL STAPLE WILL NEVER LET GO AND LET YOU HEAL,WITH SELF ABSORBING STAPLES IN TIME THE PRESSURE WILL BE RELEASED AND YOUR BODY CAN HEAL NATURALLY .MOST UP TO DATE MESH HAS BEEN INVENTED BY A GERMAN TEXTILE DUDE ITS NOT LIKE A STRETCHED OUT PIECE OF STRONG COTTON WHICH CAUSES MESHOMA,WESTERN MESH SHRINKS,PULLS ON YOUR NERVES,BOWELS AND BLADDER CAUSING ALL OUR PROBLEMS. PAUL
my boyfriend had 2 inguinal hernias about 6 wks ago, one on either side of the groin, and suffered a lot of swelling especially in his testicles.. even though he checked in and saw his hernia surgeon,.he ws told it was normal and not to worry.. the pain continued, so He then went to a urologist, as one of his testicles seemed to shrink...only to find out that it had indeed atrophied, and would require surgery to have it removed.

As you can imagine this was awful news, however he's not only worried about that, his other testicle is shrinking too, and although he had an ultra sound and that one seemed to be OK...

THIS IS THE QUESTION...WHAT ARE THE RISKS OR REMOVAL OF THE TESTICLE AT THIS TIME,...WILL THIS AGGRAVATE AND CAUSE FARTHER HARM & TRAUMA TO THE REMAINING TESTICLE???
It probably won't  I just saw the second doctor for my pre op. Today.  I decided against it for several reasons.  a lifetime possible pain was one of them.  Infection and fluid build up and possible damage of nerves.  I decided it was not worth it sib=ne mine is small and not life threatening.  I was well informed and i was able to decide against it.  I am not in pain now.
I just had hernia surgery on Feb 13 I am still in alot of pain with it and I have developed a lump several inches from the right side tha was supposedly repaired I am in far more pain than before the procedure does this sound anything like what you experienced?
I have an indirect inguinal hernia and need surgery.  I have read that medical professionals are advising against hernia surgery, if possible, because of the chronic pain that many people experience.    I was scared from reading that, but after reading this thread, I am terrified.  I am choosing to have the surgery because I am in a good amount of pain and would like to return to my athletic lifestyle.  One suggestion I read was to do research to find a good surgeon, but I do not know exactly how to go about that.  I tried Googling "hernia surgeons" and "hernia surgery" in my home town.  Only one result came up, but I can't find anything that tells if he is a good or bad surgeon.  The insurance company is going to send me the name of an Urologist who will do the surgery.  Can somebody give some advice on how to find out if a surgeon is good or not?  Thanks.
I have had the same thing since 2000. I could not return to my original job because the physical needs were too demanding. I had a Hernia that was soo bad they had to cut out some of my intestines. The doctor kept telling me it would take a year to heal. I kept going to all the doctors and about 2 weeks to the year I was not healing, so I went to the the initial doctor and he told me to get some other insurance and get help somewhere else. I had to get a lawyer after that, because after 8 of the workman's Comp. doctors and all of them saying "keep taking the pain and nerve medicine" I realized I was on my own. After I got a Lawyer they sent me to Alta Bates where I was diagnosed with Nerve damage to my Inguinal nerve. The doctor there told me that the doctor who had done my surgery had either cut through the nerve, or sewn both nerves into the mesh. After 4 years and 2 nerve blocks later I got tired of the State following me around and taking video of me taking out the trash and watering the lawn. I tried to get work at my Lawyers request and this made things worse. I had told my Lawyer I had tried to work and I could not live up to their lifting standards . I worked with this guy doing odd jobs for a week and had to quit because I was in too much pain. I went to court later that year and they tried to use it against me, and my Lawyer acted like he didn't know anything about it. The Lawyer and the doctor down graded my disability status and forced me to settle for 50,000 dollars. It seemed soo shady what the doctor and Lawyer did. Do I have nerve damage or were they B.S.ing me to make money?? Here it is 2012 and I still have the stabbing pain and swelling in my groin, that is soo painful sometimes that it is paralyzing. I am 36 years old and I have lived with 12 years of Chronic pain and no Meds, or help. I will probably die young from this, but I hope other people and doctors can learn from our situations.
If the told you you Have Prostatitis.  You Have to have your Prostate Massaged and the semin examined for bacteria. If its Bacterial Prostatitis you must be on an antibotic (antibiotic). I had Prostatitis for 12 years Buring while urinating testicles ached all the time and went to the bathroom at least 20 times a day. Horrible. Watch your Diet Very ImportantStay away from Sugar. No Chocolate. No Soda No Caffeine. Try it and let me know My name is George email ***@****. I had Prostate Cancer 4 years ago. Had my Prostate taken out. The Divinchi Robotic Surgery. Good Luck
Hello Paul, is there way to get that dr's name? ***@****
Hi there.
I read your story and I'd like to know the doctor's details who did your operation, as I have the same nerve problem since 2005.
I would like to know how you feeling now? three months in.
You can reach me on ***@****
Thank you for sharing your story.
John
Try these two websites:

www.healthgrades.com
www.vitals.com

I'm having my own issues with the pelvic & groin area with no real help either. My pelvic area has swollen up on both, strained groin muscles on both sides, both hips, left side of my pelvic & tail bone have been out of alignment. I was told I tore the fascia in my pelvic area and that this injury is permanent. I also had an umbilical hernia that was repaired about 2 months ago, but it wasn't very big. I feel for every one on this site dealing with the issues we are dealing with. I've been out of work since last year with no income at all. I've been selling things off to survive.

I wish everyone on here the best of luck in dealing with these issues. And  Paul, thank God you found some relief. I think you're giving the rest of us hope.

Mark
My husband has just had a hernia operation and after complications is in pain. I have done a lot of research and you will find the following useful.
Go to North Penn Hernia Instiute website. Click on FAQS at the bottom.
Click on the question
"I have already had surgery and now I have chronic pain. Whats up?"
There is a section on possible causes of the pain and treatments.
Worth taking a look. I hope this helps you all.
I am in the same position as you! It's nice to know it's not only me or that I'm imagining or going crazy or have a low tolerance for pain!!! I have given birth to six children (twins) and delivered every which way and cannot compare any of those births with what I deal with painwise on a daily basis. I is just a year now since my surgery and per my doctor can hurt for up to a year so have my fingers (and toes) crossed that it will ease up. Do not wan to live the rest of my life in pain or on pain medication!
I had hernia surgery @2003 and also noticed problems ejaculating which contributed to my marriage ending. The testicular pain on the right side comes and goes but wearing whitey tighties helps, especially at bedtime. I know this will probably sound like new age nonsense, but I researched non medical treatment for a gallbladder polyup I have(no money yet for surgery) and found a dietary supplement called Indian Herb MC X which can be taken internally with food and directly applied to growths in order to shrink them. I've only started using it for a few weeks and have began using the drops on areas of my right testical. I've noticed a tingling sensation coming from the inside of the testical and for the first time since before my hernia surgery I got an erection after kissing my lady friend. It could all be in my mind but there seems to be a difference. I also suffer from migraines and notice that when the headache is behind the right eye the right testicle is more sensitive and painful.  The herbal drops seem to stir things up and I don't apply them before work as it increases sensitivity. I use it at night when I'm on the recliner and it provides some relief. I've only used a quarter of the bottle so far and wonder what the long term effect will be. Call me crazy but something is going on down there that didn't before.  
I had open inguinal surgery on the RIGHT side of my groin in 1997 using mesh and since then my life has been hell and i have been fobbed off with the old IBS diagnosis. I suffer from an empty hollow hungry sick feeling in the mornings and random nausea, vomiting, fever,sweating,bowel cramps,burning sensations,numb feelings,sometimes my scrotum contracts and shrinks so tight it can be painful,constipation,shooting pains,swelling,trapped wind,heartburn and just a general horrible feeling that never goes away even on good days, iv tried changing my diet, sleep, work exercise and iv got nowhere, sometimes i dont realise how much its affecting me until i have a good/bad day and im tired of excuses, if the internet and you people wasnt here the doctors who examined me would have me believe that hernia operations are completely safe,routine and have a 99.9%success rate. lies.
I am a fit and healthy just turned 65.  I exercise walk every day and have a good diet and WAS active.  I had my open double hernia done about early June 2012 only because I was told by my GP that I should have it done as they can strangulate???? Bear in mind I had no discomfort or pain other than went overdoing the lifting.  I was informed by the surgeon to have both done at the same time, I now question this.  He told me I would walk a bit bent over for a few days and to increase activity etc etc.  The op went OK I was not told otherwise, was in overnight and released the next day, I was numb from just above both knees to my upper abdomen.  I took it easy for a few days and just walked around the house and then increased to my usual walks.  A week later had the bandages removed and then had a follow up some 4 weeks after and I told the Surgeon there was some fairly heavy discomfort, he said that was normal and it would all go away.  Since then 3 months later my life has totally changed.  Any touching in the groin area including clothes rubbing on there or even thinking about it is is NO NO.  Including sexual activity which I am scared to even try.  Went back last week and told him I was suffering, had pain all of my waking hours, pinching, pulling, numbness from the base of my penis extending both sides for about 3 inches, he examined me for the normal cough thing and said there was nothing wrong, I told him I can lift things like 20 Kgs if I have to no problems its not that its the constant lingering pain, cant walk sit stand, **** ****, sex, nothing.  Told me to give it another 7 weeks and come back if it still persists.  Wow in this day and age you get this from a surgeon, but from reading this post it sounds like the norm.  I know there is something wrong, what I do not know, I should not have this jabbing electric shock through my body up my spine to my head making me light headed or mildly dizzy, I can walk of and do not loose balance but wow what a pain.  Funny thing is I sleep ok until I have to turn over but it is not as bad as when some weight gets on it like standing. Anyway that's my story doctors do not inform you of the worst, give at least an educated guess bearing in mind your fitness and general health, no just go for the knife.  My hernia was not necessary I would not be like this if I did not have it done and the stupid thing is I DID NOT HAVE TO HAVE IT DONE.  I live in hop it will subside, I spoke to the wife of a man who had the same surgeon do his some 4 weeks after and he is fine, no pain nothing was good after about a month, now would not know he had it done, why I ask, dont know I say.  Might get another opinion if all is not good in the next 6 weeks on continual  pain, then maybe think about a lawyer.  Good luck to all.
I'm 63 now. I had a left inguinal hernia repair in my 20s, with no recurrence, and no lasting pain or problems.

Six months ago, my right side tore, and I had an open inguinal and umbilical hernia repair four weeks ago. I was sore for a couple of days, then felt pretty good. Incisions closed, hardly any pain. I have been walking a lot, and not lifting much. Just in the last few days I have increasing pain, still not bad, at the top of my scrotum and in the muscle just above my left testicle. I already had an enlarged prostate, but now it takes longer to urinate, and it's a bit painful.

None of this is the kind of pain others here have described. My testicle "dangles", it's not swollen or tender. I just have minor pain around the inguinal canal and in the abdominal muscles, getting a little worse each day, but still not bad enough to even need an aspirin.

I'll pay close attention and get to the doc if it gets worse. Any symptoms to watch for?

Fred
I do not mean to frighten anyone by any means. Nor do I wish to downplay my experience from a Sports Hernia Repair operation I had about 3 years ago. My injury started one night having a magical moment with my wife. Immediately after I... finished I felt something was wrong with my right testicle. It was a slow burn and no pronounced wow I just blanked my blank. It was just a weird feeling of... something was wrong.
The next few days the pain got worse and I went to emergency. They gave me pain meds and sent me on my miserable way. The pain kept getting worse with it feeling like with every heart beat my right testicle was getting slapped with a steel ruler with about the same speed one would serve a ping pong ball. Not really soft and not hard as hell, but you can imagine what it would feel like if someone slapped your right testicle with a steel ruler with force.
By the next weekend I was in agony and went to the closest city's General hospital emergency dept. That turned into perhaps the worst 5 days in my life. After one ER Doc did the Inguinal Ring test the pain got worse. When I say worse I mean I was screaming, hyperventilating, and almost levitating off the table with pain! He told me to be ready for emergency Hernia surgery. The surgeon, Dr. Tadrous a pompous arrogant surgeon, had other plans though. Because nothing showed on imaging there was no way he was going to operate. The next five days I was observed and asked the same questions over and over.
Rule # 1 - If you are admitted for observation use a marker and draw on your skin where it hurts and on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being the worst pain you can imagine write that number down. After 48 hours of observation I was asked by a dozen doctors "where does it hurt" "how did it start" "On a scale of 1-10..." you get the picture. One night at about 4 in the morning a doctor came over and started asking me those questions again. I was so fn frustrated I tried to grab her pen so that I could initiate Rule # 1. SHe freaked out thinking I was trying assault her.
Rule # 2 - never try to grab a pen from a doctor at 4 in the morning.
No one could figure it out. Before I was sent up to the cancer ward the head of surgery followed by a dozen interns showed up to look at me. He asked everyone if they had examined my feet. I was thinking what the hell does the feet have to do with me screaming with testicular pain? He pulled my socks off and immediately started looking between my toes. I was confused for about 15 seconds then realized he thought I was a drug user and because no one had taken my socks off he figured he hit gold and was about to see "track marks" what ever that looks like.
RULE # 3 - Without imaging results that show a tear most people you encounter in the medical field will think you are a drug user, be prepared and do not despair. Which leads me to
Rule # 4 - You are entitled to live free of pain if the meds are available and work!
After 5 days I was discharged. The pain subsided enough that I wasn't screaming and they wanted me the hell out of there. After 4 CT Scans 1 of them high contrast, ultrasounds up the yin yang and nothing to show for it they were not happy with being stumped. They ruled out anything that was going to kill me ie cancer and were happy to see the door hit my *** on the way out.
I spent the next several months on the internet trying to figure out what I had and stumbled on Sports Hernia. I explored the possibility of this being the problem but in Ontario, where I live, the medical field does not recognize a Sports Hernia as something real and after several specialist visits I learned that no one was going to operate until I found my saviour, Dr. Mark Aubrey in Ottawa. He is a Sports Med Doc and realizes that a Sports Hernia does exist and he referred me to Dr. Rae Brown in Montreal.
I saw Dr. Brown, a very nice older man with fingers the size of sausages. He clinically diagnosed me with Sports Hernia. He looked at me over his glasses after the examination and said "I'm not God, but that's what you have" referring to Sports Hernia. After all that I had been through I was nearly in tears. Well, not really but after I found out the operation was not covered by OHIP Insurance and was going to cost me $4000 I was in tears. I couldn't afford it. After a few more attempts to get it done in Ontario under OHIP I resigned myself to the fact that I had to borrow the money from my mom for the operation. It was getting unbearable dealing with Emergency staff not believing me I had a Sports Hernia and wondering why I hadn't had the surgery if thats what it was. Enter... the money factor. They are rich I am not.
Rule # 5 - Save Money. If your insurance doesn't recognize a Sports Hernia it is going to cost about $4000 in Montreal and I have heard up to $10,000 in the USA.
I eventually had the surgery in a private clinic in Montreal. Wow Terry Cloth Robes, nice slippers and a private room for recovery. The Doc came in and told me I had 3 tears and an entrapped Ilioinguinal Nerve. It was the worst he had seem ever and he has done hundreds of the operation.

I will continue with my story tomorrow. I have to go just now.
I have terrible pain in my left testicle and this is 2 weeks after a double hernia lap surgery.  The swelling and the bruising has gone but the pain is doing me in.  During the surgery the CO2 escaped to my chest cavity causing my right lung to collapse and inflating me like a balloon.  They woke me 5 hours after I went in and I then spent the day and night and following day in Critical Care assured in the knowledge that it was my anotomy that was to blame.  All this aside my testicle really really hurts and reading this thread is not making me feel any better.  I want this to be sorted ASAP!
I am a 37 yr old active male in great physical shape.  I had bilateral laproscopic surgery for direct inguinal hernias on 12/31/12.  I wish I had found this forum earlier, because the comments would have relieved many of my concerns during the first week of recovery.  My worst days were day 3 and 4 post-op b/ c of the urge to have a BM, and the severe pain involved w/  albeit multiple successful bowel movements.  I had consulted my sister who had recently gone through a C-Section birth and recommended to me Miralax which worked great.  I also combined it with Dulcolax Stool Softener (not to be confused with Dulcolax Stimulant Laxative).  I am in the medical profession and returned to work in one week. In retrospect, I may have returned a few days too soon, in spite of approval from my surgeon.  I DO believe that I picked an excellent surgeon, who was recommended by my primary care physician.  I am now almost 3 weeks post-op.  I have worked 2 full weeks and have gone to the gym twice for lighter workouts.  My left side feels normal, but I am experiencing pain/aches on the right hernia site and my right testicle is definitely sore.  This is normal according to my surgeon, but I am grateful to the comments that I have read on this site, and I feel reief that others are also experiencing the same thing.  I hope to be completely discomfort-free soon, but the surgeon did advise me that I would only be 80% for about 3 months.
Just had surgery 2 weeks ago almost from today. It was for a left inguinal hernia and suffered very little pain. The only pain i really suffered was from the food i was fed in hospital (private) I thought its ok I get to eat plenty of vegies, potatoes, beans, bran, fruit , milk, yoghurt and so on...........no no no it was not good at all as I was seriously constipated for the first 3 days and as im use to haveing a bowl movement 1-2 times a day on a regular basis not being able to go for 3 days after surgery was making me feel quite painful and bloated. I eventually took something to help me go as well as walking around the hospital.

I found out by eating all those foods that it produces loads of air in my stomach and constantly made me feel uncomfortable and painful. As soon as I stoped eating all that food my body felt very little pain and was able to go to the toliet normally again.(i realise certain foods react differntly to each and every indivdual but i do know that these foods create air within your stomach and there are ways to reduce it)

1- after a meal drink a glass of water
2-go for a light 15 min walk
3- avoid foods like beans, dairy, potatoes, ect...ect...
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gas-and-gas-pains/DG00014

I can feel the changes within my body but they dont seem to worry me so much....at least for now ~ I have not done much exericse
Keep in mind im quite a healthy 24 year old male

I had the best surgeon in the state so I was very glad. He told me to leave my bandages on for a week and not to bath. I took them out just a few days ago and I must say its annoying as hell the feeling as it sticks out slightly and feels like when u wear something and the tag keeps rubbing up against ur body and u cant stop fidgiting to get it to stop.

If anyone reads this and is from Canberra then I would highly recomand Dr. David Rangiah. One of the patients I was sharing a room with had his wife come in and she worked as a nurse in the same hospital. She told me that he was the best around :) as did my referring doc :D
had left inguinal hernia repair and its been 5 weeks today since surgery and I dont know if ill be like this forever but I have left testicle pain that comes and goes and what feels like bad gas or bloating. I have a pain from the 2 cuts in my groin to the left groin and left testicle. This has really affected my livelihood as im only 23 I work out and play sports a lot. If this continues for life suicide will be my only option out of this. Obviously theres a problem we all have and theres nothing nobody can do or find wrong. This was my biggest fear about the hernia surgery as I did research online weeks b4 my surgery and found countless amounts of ppl complaining about testicle pain that never goes away after surgery. My surgeon told me this testicle pain may never go away and to jus take Tylenol or ibuprofen, easy 4 a woman to say lol anyways i dont know if i should even bother going to the dr since it seems no dr can find whats wrong with every1 whos had hernia surgery. i cant afford it really either. So if some1 has an answer about this left testicle pain im listening. I read gas can pinch the left tests but its not from a legit source and i haven't found nothing about it anywhere.
Hi - I am a 53 year old female in fairly good health. Over the years I have had 7 abdominal surgeries - with no complications. I had to have surgery 4 weeks ago for the inguinal hernia on the right side - Of course they had to do an incision because of all the past surgeries. I had a 5 inch incision... The incision has healed great and not much pain..but my problem is this constant burning pain in the groin area and right leg pain. It actually feels like razor burns with 3rd degree burns on top of it. The doctor tells me it just takes time to heal...and that I need to stop the strong pain killers and switch to advil. Guess it is easy for him to say - he isn't in constant pain. My husband asked him did he use the mesh and he stated no. Just can't understand this much pain. I have had 2 c sections and hysterectomy and never experienced this type of pain.
Remember most who post in forums like this have problems which is why they are posting, that's not a criticism people. I believe those with problems often do have them as a result of poor surgery techniques and I really hope they get a good resolution.

Many who have no issues don't post their stories which makes the overall view very negative. Hernia repair is one of the most common operations performed. As with all things there are some bad results and undoubtedly some bad surgeons too. It's a shame the medical profession isn't better at auditing itself instead of everyone covering everyone else's backside. This is my recounting of my positive result...

At 52 a small hernia I had had for over 20 years got larger and started to hurt intermittently. I was referred to a surgeon who suggested he operate. I had a left side open inguinal repair done with mesh. I'm tall and slim (good genes), not fit but otherwise healthy.

Operated on on Wednesday 29th August 2012, went home Thursday, needed no pain relief from the Sunday and had only been on paracetamol until then. Was driving again the next Wednesday. Started going to the gym (which I hadn't been before surgery) in October - first leg curl was a wake up to go easy but otherwise no problems.

Had numbness below the cut and into the scrotum and top of my leg initially. After a few weeks or perhaps a couple of months all was normal except just below the cut for about 2 inches. Orgasm sensation was reduced to perhaps half.

In the last few weeks (mid April 2013) sensation has returned below the cut and, lucky for me, so has full orgasm sensation. Until then I would get an occasional twinge from the cut and below. Since then have had no pain of any kind.

I found this forum when looking up some of the post operative effects: mild pain as nerves reattached, blue then black scrotum, some minor painless scrotal swelling.

My operation was done in Australia by a surgeon of Chinese origin.

At least a decade a go my Dad had a bilateral laparoscopic repair done and remembers no issues with his either.
I had inguinal hernia repair 6 weeks ago by a Chinese doctor at KP in North Calif. I believe he was a good surgeon. I'm 65 and in excellent health. I had open surgery with a mesh. I took 3 pain pills after surgery and then just tolerated the pain. I don't like what the pain pill were doing to my head.

I started walking the day after surgery. I went to Hawaii two weeks after the surgery and went surfing for about an hour at 6 weeks. All through the recovery phase, I have had sharp pain. The pain has very slowly subsided.  Before I went surfing I was feeling almost pain free. After surfing, I begin getting a sharp pain in my upper thigh and around the area of the incision. I probably over did it by with going out surfing, but I don't believe I compromised the repair.

I'm doing some stretching and that seems to help. I believe one has keep active. The abdomen is a very sensitive area and I believe surgeons give a rosier picture of recovery than is reality. I think the key is keep active, and if you start feeling sharp pain, take it easy for a while. One criticism of the medical system is physical therapy is not usually provided after this operation. It would be helpful to have a list of exercises and timelines for recovery.
My partner has the same problem with hip pain, how long was it before yours was sorted