Urology Community
Painful, abnormal testicle position after hernia surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Patient:    60 yr.old male, 5'8", 145#

Symptoms:    hernia (left side) that had begun to protrude into scrotal-sac over a period of 3 months prior to this operation.  (otherwise in Good Health) (prior hernia repair as an infant)

The hernia surgeon diagnosed "bilateral" hernia because of bulging visible on the right side.

I was also diagnosed with hydocele on left side in scrotum sac.

I am now 4 weeks post-op from ...
Open, bilateral, Inguinal Hernia repairs using the "ProleneĀ® Hernia System".

The incisions are healing nicely, with little to no pain from there or in area of the hernia repairs. There is no problem with the right testicle.

But, the left testicle has NOT returned to a normal, free & relaxed position in the scrotal sac. This left testicle is being BOUND & CONSTRAINED in an uncomfortable position which is high & forward in the groin/pelvic area.

This testicle position and the dull-ache feel like the connected nerves or sperm-cord could be under tension, pressure or entrapped in the hernia repair.

This condition is causing continued, persistant, sensitivity, pressure and discomfort ( pain ) in the lower groin/testicle area.

I discussed these problems with the surgeon, 3-weeks post-op.  He dismissed my complaints as due to extra scar tissue from prior hernia repair (that never exhibited any problems) and recommended I make an appointment in 5 weeks where he would refer me to a pain managment physician.

QUESTIONS:  

1) Is this abnormal, testicle position an expected result on this surgery?
2) Should I visit another physician ( what specialty?)
3) Is this condition one that can be dismissed or ignored?
4) What are the possible solutions?
I am a 24 year old male who had inguinal hernia repair on left side 3 years ago. Weeks after surgery I as well returned to my surgeon complaining about my right testicle not hanging as low or where it use to hang. He said don't worry about it and to workout, run, do whatever I want at 100%. Well off and on over the past years I get pain in my right testicle still. Any pressure over my surgery repair, and I can feel pain in my right testicle. It still bothers me, but I workout, run, lift all through the pain. It just seems to close to my body, like something healed in the wrong place.
I've had a hydrocele surgery at the age of six, left side inguinal hernia surgery at the age of 10, and a right side inguinal hernia surgery at the age of 24. My right testicle have been attached closer to my body since my hydrocele surgery and I can clearly remember how uncomfortable it felt to have such an abnormal position of your testicle. After 20 years, I still feel some discomforting pains (on my right testicle) when exercising. From what I know, it is too risky to make a surgery to "fix" that extra scaring of the surgery.I guess we're stuck with it...