Urology Community
Phimosis after infant circumcision??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Phimosis after infant circumcision??

I went to see my pediatricglans is sticking out, only a very small circle around the urethra.  And I am unable to pull it back over.  The doc said it is phimosis and should resolve around when he hits puberty.  I know thats when a foreskin is supposed to retract, around puberty, but he isn't supposed to have a foreskin, so is it really the same with this??ian who had done my son's circumcision 3 weeks ago today because my sons shaft skin seems to have readhered to the glans (glands).  Basically as if he still has a foreskin.  Barely any of the

It also seems like an awful long time to wait and see if it "should resolve".  I made an appointment with a pediatric urologist on my own to get a 2nd opinion just to make sure that we should really wait and see that long, but they want to wait all the way till January 8th to give him an appointment! http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/464884_2  (last article on this page)
Reading that it says that the longer they wait he may have to go through surgery rather than a simple outpatient office procedure if it's sooner.  Should I try to search for another ped urologist for a sooner appointment?? no idea where to even start looking, I only know about this one because another dr office told me about him.  Or should I just wait till January 8th?  Is this really a wait 10 years and see if it's ok???
the best thing to do is just leave it alone and let the natural separation process take place.most loose circumcisions will re-adhere and anymore interference will cause more scarring.
i should also add that this is not phimosis.this is an adhesion which is normal.phimosis is when the opening of the foreskin or clitoral hood is too small to allow the glans (glands) of the penis or clitoris to be exsposed.
This also happened to my son after circumcision, the foreskin adhered above the glans (glands).  My pedi told me as he got older it would naturally come down.  Intervening now could cause more scarring. I was unsure and wanted a urology consult...he keeps telling me I do not need one.  Let me know what your urologist told you.  I'd rather he repeat the procedure now than when he's 16 if its necessary.

Thanks Kerri
About 96% of boys are born with adhesions.The foreskin is naturally adhered to the glans (glands) to protect it.When a circumcision is done the adhered skin is pulled from the glans (glands) much like if you pulled a fingernail off.The adhesions begin to reform as the circumcision heals.Most adhesions come apart on their own as a boy grows just like an intact boys would.