Urology Community
Prostate Infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to urology issues, benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction and urological cancers.

Prostate Infection

I tried to post this message a couple of hours ago so if it decides to show up I'm sorry for posting it twice.  

A few years ago I was diagnosed with a prostate infection.  The Dr. gave me a couple treatments of Nitrofurantoin and told me that was all he could do.  He said that a prostate infection wouldn't do anything other than hurt.  Today I went to see another Dr.  It has been almost three years since seeing the last one.  This Dr. didn't test my semen, which I thought was normal for diagnosing this sort of infection, and told me that I should think about more new age sort of treatments, acupuncture and the like.  He gave me 30 days worth of Bactrim "just in case" and told me to come back in six weeks.  I don't know what to think.  Is there anything I can do to increase the effectiveness of the Bactrim?  What sort of things should I avoid?  
Was I over looked?  Anyone have a suggestion for me?
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Prostatitis can be due to infection or can even occur in the absence of infection.
This needs to be diagnosed on urinalysis, preferably from a sample collected immediately after ejaculation. Treatment is based on the antibiotic sensitivity of the organism and is for a longer course of 15-20 days.

Try to avoid prostate irritants such as caffeine, alcohol, citrus fruits, and spicy foods, and drink plenty of fluids. Additionally, you will need to avoid sitting on hard surfaces or for prolonged periods of time.

It has also been reported that megadoses of vitamin can help treating prostatitis.

Do keep us posted on any further doubts in this regard.
Thank you Dr.  I will do what I can.  I have been on antibiotics since this past Thursday evening and I feel better already.  The Urologist I saw also massaged my prostate, I believe that is most likely why I feel better at the moment.  He said that releasing some of the built up fluid can help relieve pain.  I'm not sure why that wouldn't happen with a normal ejaculation.  Oh well, thanks again.