Urology Expert Forum
Protatitis and urinary tract problems

Questions in the Urology forum are answered by medical professionals at Healthcare Magic. Topics covered include benign prostate disease, penis curvature, cystisis, kidney stones, pediatric urology, prostate, sexual dysfunction, urinary tract infections (UTI), and urological cancers.

Protatitis and urinary tract problems

I've had lenghty prostate infection.  I noticed it after a one-time episode of unprotected sex.  I immediately saw a Dr. and began Cipro for one month.  I saw a urilogist because I have had a prost.infection before.  Both Drs. seemed to think it wasn't an STD.  I took cipro for the month then switched to Bactrim.  The infection flared back up.  The urologist then put me on Levaquin and its never felt completely cleared up (been about a month).  I saw a third doc and he put me doxycycl for 10 days.  Things remained about the same (at seven days).  The worrisome part is that twice I've had sex with my wife and it felt much worse the next day, including my uretha.  We didn't have sex the first 30 days while on cipro but started after.

Could I have some STD that I passed to my wife and now pick back up whenever we have sex?  The intense symptoms flare up the next day or a day following.  She has no complaints.

If this is the case could I be reinfected so quickly while on two antibiotics?
Hello - thanks for asking your question.  

Chronic prostatitis is sometimes a difficult disease to treat.  If you continue to have symptoms, then make sure that the bacteria that is being treated is sensitive to the antibiotic.  Urine and prostatic fluid should be sampled and cultured before and after prostatic message.  

Duration of treatment lasts from 4-12 weeks.  It is possible that your course of antibiotics is too short.  Unfortunately, chronic prostatitis often recurs and needs to be retreated.

There are other non-bacterial etiologies of chronic prostatitis including chlamydia, mycoplasma, and ureaplasma.  Erythromycin and tetracycline are prescribed if this is suspected.  Transurethral microwave thermotherapy may be considered for symptommatic relief.  

If every test is negative, then urodynamic tests may reveal voiding and pelvic floor muscle dysfunction and spasm of the urethra, bladder neck, and urinary sphincter.  These disorders should be discussed with your urologist if no bacterial cause is found.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
0
0